PDA

View Full Version : Ford Motor Co.'s powertrain family.

cc322
11-18-2007, 07:47 AM
DETROIT - Big changes are coming to Ford Motor Co.'s powertrain family.
An expected overhaul of corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) regulations likely will require automakers to boost fuel economy and cut emissions.
Ford's solution includes diesel engines, hybrids, a combination of gasoline-direct injection and turbocharging, cylinder deactivation and more efficient transmissions.
Here's a look at Ford's technologies and the timetable for production:
Diesels: Ford wants to be the first U.S. automaker to offer a diesel engine in a light-duty pickup. A 4.4-liter V-8 derived from a Europe-market Range Rover will be available for the F-150 in 2010. The Expedition also is expected to offer the engine.
Ford is developing a 6.7-liter diesel to replace the 6.4-liter International Truck engine now offered in F-series Super Duty pickups. The Ford engine, code-named Scorpion, could be ready for the 2011 model year.
Because of high costs, Ford is unlikely to offer its European four-cylinder or V-6 diesel engines in its North American cars in the next few years.
Hybrids: Ford plans to double its offerings to four models. The Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan cars will join the hybrid Escape and Mercury Mariner crossovers. The Fusion and Milan hybrids are expected to go into production late next year.
Ford also is working on a less expensive, less complex mild hybrid powertrain that uses a belt-alternator starter system similar to the unit in GM's 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line crossover. A mild hybrid turns off the gasoline engine when the vehicle is not moving, as happens at a stoplight. The engine quickly restarts when the driver releases the brake pedal.
Ford also plans a plug-in Escape hybrid powered by lithium ion batteries. Though Ford has not confirmed production plans, test vehicles are on the road. Both the mild hybrid and the plug-in system could be ready for sale within three years.
Advanced gasoline engines: Small, powerful and fuel efficient is the mantra for Ford's powerplant engineers. Ford plans to make Twin Force the brand name for its fuel-efficient, high-performance engines.
Twin Force powerplants will have a combination of gasoline direct-injection and turbocharging systems. Ford will use Twin Force technology on four-, six- and possibly eight-cylinder engines.
Derrick Kuzak, Ford's group vice president for global product development, said the technology will deliver diesel-like fuel economy without the cost and complexity of a diesel engine. Diesels offer 25 percent to 30 percent better fuel economy than similar-size gasoline engines.
The first vehicle to use the new technology is the 2009 Lincoln MKS sedan. Sometime after its introduction, the MKS will offer an optional 3.5 V-6 with twin turbochargers and direct injection. Performance is promised to rival that of a V-8 engine.
Ford will give its V-8 engines a 4 percent to 6 percent fuel economy boost by adopting cylinder deactivation. Ford should have its cylinder cutoff system ready for truck production by the 2010 model year.
Ford also is developing 5.8-liter and 6.2-liter gasoline V-8s for its pickups, big SUVs and Mustang sports coupe. The name of the program has changed from Hurricane to Boss.
It is not clear when the first Boss engine will arrive in a production vehicle. The next-generation F-150 won't have a Boss engine when it launches next year. The Boss will be added in 2009 or 2010.
Fuel cells: Ford has been making quiet strides with fuel cell technology. This year, engineers have been testing a Ford Edge that uses a fuel cell to generate electricity. That electricity powers a motor and recharges the vehicle's battery pack. Such a powertrain could see limited production in less than a decade.
Transmissions: Ford and General Motors could get a lot closer. They have co-developed a six-speed automatic for front-drive cars. Now Ford is interested in using GM's Two Mode hybrid transmission, which debuts on the 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon SUVs.
Kuzak said Ford has been talking to GM about buying a version of the Two Mode for use in rear-drive trucks. No deals have been announced. GM is eager to sell the transmission to other automakers to increase production and lower costs.
GM also has a front-wheel-drive version of the Two Mode slated for production next year in the Saturn Vue. That gearbox could replace the one in the current versions of Ford's Escape and Mariner hybrids and be used in the upcoming Fusion and Milan. The GM transmission probably would cost less than the hybrid transmission Ford imports from Japan from Aisin AW and would offer better fuel economy.
But Ford plans to go its own way on another technology: dual-clutch manual transmissions. Ford is working with Germany's Getrag Corp. to bring the fuel-saving gearbox to North America around 2010.
This gearbox shifts electrically without interrupting power to the rear wheels. A 6 percent to 10 percent fuel economy saving over automatics is expected. Ford calls the technology Power Shift. Versions would be used in compact and midsize cars.
Suppliers say Ford is developing a six-speed automatic transmission for Super Duty pickups.

maxwedge
11-18-2007, 08:03 AM
So pretty much in 2009, Fords technology will start to rival what their competitors had in 2003. Sounds like a great plan they have there.

LhcBrad
11-18-2007, 09:30 AM
A little late. I bought a Ford Car in 1996 because i wanted to support american
it was the worst car i ever owned, always in the shop and the value went down faster then i could blink. I traded it in 1999 for an import and i still have that import today. I hope they can make a good car but im not going to buy another Ford soon. Me not buying a Ford will not make or break them but i have heard others say the same thing. I did a Kelly blue book for a Ford Focus then did same for a Honda Civic. I was shocked at the difference and the Honda will go for alot longer. They costed about the same new. The Honda is worth about $5000 more (I used the year 2003)

Trailer Park Casanova
11-18-2007, 09:54 AM
The joint development 6 speed between Ford and GM is reported in Auto Technologies Mag to be very good. A bit noisy, but a good trans.
Ford shot their wad buying Jaguar when that money coulda been better spent on their own line.
My neighbor Stan used to own Valley Park Ford and he folded it last year.
He said the Jaguar move was to get a crossover Premium car for Ford showrooms. The Ford dealers were all bitching about that.
"I imagine challenging Toyota or Honda would be crazy, but I think they could at least defeat Nissan" he told me at the E bar a few weeks ago.
I hope Ford can pull it off. Dunno if we'd ever buy another though.
The first Mustang Convertable down the assembly line was givin away at (grad nite) Disneyland in 1964 ( 1964 1/2 model BTW)
My cousin Caroline won it and still drives it today.
Ford dates way back for this family, lots of sentimental feelings,, sorry to seem them on the rocks.

RitcheyRch
11-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Same reason my daily driver is a Honda Civic and my tow vehicle is a Tundra.
A little late. I bought a Ford Car in 1996 because i wanted to support american
it was the worst car i ever owned, always in the shop and the value went down faster then i could blink. I traded it in 1999 for an import and i still have that import today. I hope they can make a good car but im not going to buy another Ford soon. Me not buying a Ford will not make or break them but i have heard others say the same thing. I did a Kelly blue book for a Ford Focus then did same for a Honda Civic. I was shocked at the difference and the Honda will go for alot longer. They costed about the same new. The Honda is worth about $5000 more (I used the year 2003)

PETEROC
11-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm sorry to see the sweet V10 go. For performance and cost that motor is as good as it gets. Ford should keep it.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-18-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm sorry to see the sweet V10 go. For performance and cost that motor is as good as it gets. Ford should keep it.
Yeah, the latest version of the V10 was a steamer too.
GM dropped the 8.1 as well.
Oh well, those were the days.

spectras only
11-18-2007, 11:26 AM
CC322 , you shouldn't have bothered bringing this info :idea: . Negativity is a passion on ***boat:)
My daily driver , 1996 Mustang GT . So far I've replaced the two fog light bulbs , a couple of sets of tires and the battery . 120.000 miles on the car , nuff said!
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/96%20Mustang%20GT%20side.back

spectras only
11-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Also have a POS 03 Navigator with 50 K miles , and a POS 04 LS that only has 20 K miles .None had any issues so far .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Toys.jpg
My son is just going to trade in his 94 Ranger work truck with 340K kilometers running like a clock for a 2002 ranger with low miles :idea: .

AZJD
11-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Look at the bright side. Ford lovers only have to wait another 4 years to get a good diesel engine.

Noisy Nova
11-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I like my '96 GT.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/noisynova/DSCF0384.jpg
And this beast drags the boat around.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/noisynova/Motor%20Project/DSCF0218.jpg

talkinghead
11-18-2007, 09:41 PM
I average about 12.7 MPG with my V10 4x4 Excursion - and that's barely touching the gas pedal.
But it does weigh around 4 tons.

redneckcharlie
11-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Look at the bright side. Ford lovers only have to wait another 4 years to get a good diesel engine.
Ya, it sucks! My 6.0 has never had a problem. Maybe I should go get another Duramax, and roast some more turbos. Two turbos and a set of head gaskets on a bone stock truck with 22 thousand miles doesn't spell reliability in my book.:rolleyes:

Blueoval
11-19-2007, 04:16 AM
Same reason my daily driver is a Honda Civic and my tow vehicle is a Tundra.
Are you looking for a job yet?? Keep Buying Imports and you will!!!:mad:

boatnaked
11-19-2007, 04:56 AM
and Chevy people are still waiting!:eek:

RitcheyRch
11-19-2007, 05:31 AM
Dont think will be looking for a job until the Japanese can start building their own aircraft. Until then I am safe.
Are you looking for a job yet?? Keep Buying Imports and you will!!!:mad:

spectras only
11-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Dont think will be looking for a job until the Japanese can start building their own aircraft. Until then I am safe.
The Chinese will build them cheaper , just wait :idea: :) :D

bocco
11-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Diesels: Ford wants to be the first U.S. automaker to offer a diesel engine in a light-duty pickup. A 4.4-liter V-8 derived from a Europe-market Range Rover will be available for the F-150 in 2010. The Expedition also is expected to offer the engine.
A Range Rover motor? Why does this worry me?

rlj676
11-20-2007, 02:17 PM
So pretty much in 2009, Fords technology will start to rival what their competitors had in 2003. Sounds like a great plan they have there.
Other than cylinder deactivation (not even that effective), please point out the Ford competition that has this. I don't think BMW's direct inject turbos offered in 07 counts as Ford competition, or as 03? And small deisel's? Not quite rampant in Ford competition now, not alone 03?