PDA

View Full Version : "Lights Out" had his bell rung huh??

Not So Fast
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
From the reports this morning on the radio I heard from 2 different commentators that Merriman had his 'Lights Out" from a hit by Maurice Drew Jones :eek: He is what, 1 foot taller and 70 lbs heavier, just shows how hard this little guy runs.!! NSF

Ziggy
11-19-2007, 12:23 PM
The right angle and anyone will go down now and then.

Tremor Therapy
11-19-2007, 12:27 PM
It looked much worse than it was. Merriman was just caught with his feet way too far in front of him, and a school girl could have pushed him over in that position. I'll bet money that he is hearing it today in film sessions thou.:D
I hope our offense shows up this week, because the Ravens own LT. The Ravens can't score on offense, but if Phillip gives them the ball 2 or 3 times a game as has been his habit for the past month, their defense might very well outscore us!

Not So Fast
11-19-2007, 12:47 PM
It looked much worse than it was. Merriman was just caught with his feet way too far in front of him, and a school girl could have pushed him over in that position. I'll bet money that he is hearing it today in film sessions thou.:D
I hope our offense shows up this week, because the Ravens own LT. The Ravens can't score on offense, but if Phillip gives them the ball 2 or 3 times a game as has been his habit for the past month, their defense might very well outscore us!
Tremor: Listening to the Coach on XX radio right now and boy talk about finger pointing!! Vencie Glenn is on right now and hes saying it like it is from lack of effort AND COACHING plus the piss poor play of Phil. All in all a lot of disention going thru this whole organization :eek: NSF

Tremor Therapy
11-19-2007, 12:58 PM
NSF,
The past 2 weeks with Vencie on has really brought some truth to the radio. You got all of the local radio hacks homing for the Chargers, trying to pump up everything they do, and then on comes Vencie, who tells it like he see's it.
Lots of talent, lack-luster play by both the offensive and defensive lines, and horrible play by AJ's franchise quarterback. He has not cut anyone any slack....the way it should be. You are a paid professional, time to start playing like it.

Ziggy
11-19-2007, 01:11 PM
The first drive after halftime was how we expected the team to play all the time....that was a beautifully executed drive.
Couple of outstanding catches by Chambers yesterday....we need to get the ball his direction more too.
I felt like Turner was trying to fool the Jags by utilizing some rarely used players and the stars became more decoy....I guess it got us a handful of catches but no real impact on the game.
Still, the O-line is not giving enough protection time to Rivers, I especially noticed Rivers started releasing even earlier after he got popped once or twice.........which to me means he isn't confident with his big fella's up front.:(

Not So Fast
11-19-2007, 02:43 PM
NSF,
The past 2 weeks with Vencie on has really brought some truth to the radio. You got all of the local radio hacks homing for the Chargers, trying to pump up everything they do, and then on comes Vencie, who tells it like he see's it.
Lots of talent, lack-luster play by both the offensive and defensive lines, and horrible play by AJ's franchise quarterback. He has not cut anyone any slack....the way it should be. You are a paid professional, time to start playing like it.
One thing that was brought up, among a whole lot of things, was how much we miss Donnie Edwards leadership and setting up the defense. he said Ted Cottrell has the linebackers in bad positions and trying to do things they shouldnt be doing, like dropping back on third down in pass coverage and giving Gerard all day to find a receiver. I for one thought Donnie should have been kept for just that reason, to teach these young talented LB's how, where and when to position themselves in certain situations. NSF

Not So Fast
11-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Losing Donnie Edwards AND Randall Godfrey was a big blow. Neither were great pass rushers, but they were both tackling machines and were very good in coverage. You've essentially got three "rookies" in Stephen Cooper, Carlos Polk and Matt Wilhelm replacing Godfrey, Edwards and Leber.
You really can't "teach" what Donnie Edwards did. He was a safety playing MLB in the NLF.
You know I respect your knowledge SWB but I think we agree to disagree on the Rivers situation. You can post all the articles you want about how he is this and that, and at this stage of his carreer he is doing better than X was at this point in his career, he can say that nothing is wrong and that his confidence is not shaken but in reality he has not played very well at all except for a couple of games, and thats going back to the end of last year. He's not seeing wide open recievers, he's not able to throw accurately, and he's dropping the ball when he is hurried or slightly hit (just like Brees). Do I think he is all through, of course not, he will rebound (I hope) and I believe he will be a very good QB for many years to come but this team desperately (sp) needs leadership and the QB is who usually would provide it. They also need leadership on the defensive side but with this coaching staff I dont think they will get it.
IMO opinion they look totally unprepared to play, I know you will disagree on this also but I see to many things that are so basic and we just dont execute.
Maybe this team is not as talented as we all thought they were in the first place:confused: All I know is that we are a team in terrible disarray at this point and I see no hope as long as this coaching staff is in control, Hope I'm wrong :( :( NSF GO BOLTS

Not So Fast
11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
You got spoiled. Go back through history and stack his 1st season's numbers up against anybody in the game. He made the Pro Bowl for chrisakes. It was an anomaly for a first year QB to go 14-2. He's now started 26 games. Give him a break.
As for why they're struggling? They haven't established the run. Not once this season. Nobody is scared of the best back on the planet. Do I know why? No, I don't have a clue. Answer me this, when was the last time you saw LT break a gain for more than 10 yards? 15 yards? 20 yards? I watch, or attend, every game and I know the answer to one of those questions.
Just watched the quick replay of the whole game and I stand by my opinion from what I saw. Do I want them to succeed, hell yes, but the after game interviews were that of a downtrodden team with no direction. Phil continues to make critical mistakes, is he learning from them, I'm sure he is and I DIDNT EXPECT greatness in his second full year. I know what guys like Elway and the like went thru on thier way to stardom, I'm simply stating that he will have to play better than he is at this point, the WHOLE TEAM has to play better and the coaching will never make it IMHO, they're horrible. :( NSF

Kilrtoy
11-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Losing Donnie Edwards AND Randall Godfrey was a big blow. Neither were great pass rushers, but they were both tackling machines and were very good in coverage. You've essentially got three "rookies" in Stephen Cooper, Carlos Polk and Matt Wilhelm replacing Godfrey, Edwards and Leber.
You really can't "teach" what Donnie Edwards did. He was a safety playing MLB in the NLF.
Have you ever thought of going on Jeapordy, You sure know alot of useless crap

Focker
11-19-2007, 09:51 PM
go BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ziggy
11-20-2007, 09:20 AM
FRicken Chargers need to get branded with a cattle prod, light a fire under their asses. These players are just not grasping the new schemes on both sides of the ball.

Tremor Therapy
11-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Bob,
I am with NSF on many things, and you and I will just not see the same side of the coin on many things. BTW, the last time LT got a run over 10 yards was against the Jaguars. Last year LT was all world. Defenses were not stacking the line and our O-line was in man-to-man power blocking schemes. But our passing game got a lot of yards on plays where the Chargers would fake a handoff or pitch to LT and he would run like he had the ball. This would pull in and freeze the linebackers and give Rivers ample time to find wide open receivers. And say what you will about Eric Parker, he caught the damn ball!
This year the defenses have changed. They are stacking the line to eliminate the LT factor, and are basically telling Rivers "you are going to have to beat us." This is where I agree with NSF, Rivers is not making the adjustments, not making accurate throws to open receivers, and flat out not going through his progression to find the open receiver. The last pick in the Jaguar game is a perfect example. He was locked into a receiver that had tight coverage, and all the defensive back had to do is wait for the locked in Rivers to throw the ball and then jump the route for a pick!
Now where I agree with you is with the linebacking core. We had an excellent pass defense linebacking core, and they could tackle well. We are now basically playing our second string linebacking core from last year and it shows. It is also painfully obvious that the o and d lines have been playing below par. In many games they have been down right deplorable.
My last point is that besides Gates, we have played this year with 2nd and 3rd string wide receivers. The Jaguar game was Chambers second game with us, and it showed. He made some great catches, and damn near had 100 yards in receiving. Give him another week or 2 and he will really be a big weapon for the Chargers....I just hope we are in a position that it matters by then.
I guess my disappointment is that last year this team lead us to believe they could be contenders for the next 3-5 years, and this year they are not even achieving middle of the pack status. For god sakes, we crushed Denver by 38 points, and we are tied with them for the division lead! I still think that 10-6 will win this division going away, but I have 2 more "L's" on my Chargers schedule (@ Kansas City and @ Tennessee), and that puts them at 9-7 (and the way the Lions are playing we could lose that one to, and be 8-8). Fortunately I see Denver losing to the Bears the Texans and the Chargers, and the Chiefs losing to the Titans and the Lions. I sure hope that they get it figured out, because 6 wins going in would definately put them back on track!

MKEELINE
11-20-2007, 02:19 PM
The truth is, SWB has spent small fortune on Phillip Rivers jerseys and doesn't want to see his investment go south.:D