PDA

View Full Version : Angels trade O. Cabrera for John Garland.....

AZJD
11-19-2007, 01:18 PM
CHICAGO -- For the past two or three years, Jon Garland has been the focus of Hot Stove trade rumors where the White Sox are concerned.
In fact, the rumor mill had the right-hander all but traded to Houston during the final day of the 2007 Winter Meetings in Orlando. But when the ensuing season began, there was Garland, back on the mound for the White Sox, serving as a fixture within the team's deep starting rotation.
On Monday, those rumors finally became reality.
Garland, 28, was shipped to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in exchange for shortstop Orlando Cabrera and cash considerations. The addition of Cabrera provides the upgrade up the middle sought by the White Sox, with Cabrera recently capturing his second Gold Glove and driving in 86 runs while topping .300 (at .301) for the first time in his 11-year career.
Monday's move could make Juan Uribe expendable, move Uribe to second base or put Uribe into a utility role with the White Sox. Cabrera is a strong contact hitter, with just 493 strikeouts over 5,301 career at-bats, and could serve as the lineup's perfect No. 2 hitter after scoring a career-high 101 runs last season.
Cabrera, 33, earns $9 million in 2008, marking the final year of his current four-year deal. He has 112 career playoff at-bats, including hitting .200 against the White Sox during the 2005 American League Championship Series, and was part of the Red Sox 2004 World Series championship squad.
By moving Garland, the White Sox took $12 million off the books for 2008, while also seemingly opening a rotation spot for both John Danks and Gavin Floyd -- assuming general manager Ken Williams does not add another veteran arm to the rotation. Garland posted a 92-81 record and a 4.41 ERA in 246 games (223 starts) over eight years in Chicago.

AZJD
11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
That's a good pickup for the Angels. Garland eats a lot of innings and is still relatively young.
At first I was a little weary of the trade, but the angels have a pretty good stock of infielders that seem to be versitile. Hopefully his 10 win season last year was just based on being unhappy with the organization....

LaveyJet
11-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I think there will still be a Cabrera in Anaheim next year, Miguel Cabrera. I expect a trade with the Marlins in the near future, speculation says a pitcher( Saunders ?) , a catcher ( Napoli or Mathis ) and maybe Howie Kendrick of Figgins to get Cabrera.
Do it, there's some power for you, Vlad, GA, and Cabrera.

AZJD
11-19-2007, 01:46 PM
I think there will still be a Cabrera in Anaheim next year, Miguel Cabrera. I expect a trade with the Marlins in the near future, speculation says a pitcher( Saunders ?) , a catcher ( Napoli or Mathis ) and maybe Howie Kendrick of Figgins to get Cabrera.
Do it, there's some power for you, Vlad, GA, and Cabrera.
Angels will have Rivera back in the line up for power. It will be nice if they can get Kendry Morales up to speed and drop him in the mix, although Kotchman did his part to impress me last year.
The Angels have a ton of infielders to work with and a lot of up and coming talent to use as trade bait.

disco_charger
11-19-2007, 01:49 PM
The Angels almost never trade young talent. I like the pick up. The fact remains that we need a big bat.

LaveyJet
11-19-2007, 02:00 PM
The Angels almost never trade young talent. I like the pick up. The fact remains that we need a big bat.
No argument there, but there's a new GM in town and I think they'll offer up some young ones to get the big bat. I think they over evaluated the "young talent" when they let Glaus go. Turned out to be a mistake.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-19-2007, 02:15 PM
No argument there, but there's a new GM in town and I think they'll offer up some young ones to get the big bat. I think they over evaluated the "young talent" when they let Glaus go. Turned out to be a mistake.
But you can't give away the store. They definitely messed up when they decided not to resign Glaus. MacPherson was supposed to be the heir apparent but all he has been good for is keeping the trainers busy...

HavasuHome
11-19-2007, 03:48 PM
I sure hope they do not trade Figgins. I think that would be a mistake. He can play almost any position, steal bases, and is a good lead off hitter.