PDA

View Full Version : Prime Rib Roast recipe

INSman
11-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Anyone got the killer fool-proof recipe ?!? Where is A Catered Life when you need him :idea:
Tried a few and never had it come out bad, but never great either :(

YeLLowBoaT
11-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Salt and pepper is all they need... after that just let it roast.

bchbum
11-19-2007, 09:41 PM
What temp & how long per pound ? I've been thinking about doing this , just don't want to ruin a great piece of meat .

C-2
11-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Keep it simple.
Be selective in your cut of meat. Don’t settle for a small sucky end cut. If it looks like shiat when you buy it – it will not taste any better after cooking it. You know when the counter guy sez can I help you with something? Say sure, and find a good cut.
Rub the roast in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. If you can get away with it, use lotsa cracked pepper to form a nice crust.
Bring the roast up to room temp before you cook it (let it set for 2-3 hours, it won’t hurt it) Heat your oven to the point it almost burns the house down; sear the roast for a ½ hour, then low and slow to your liking.
Yeah, yeah, slits with garlic cloves, Rosemary, other things. Don’t need em. The flavor comes from the cut of meat itself, not all the garbage you stick into or on it.
And for god’s sake, do not keep poking it or opening the oven. Use a meat thermometer, put it in and leave it alone, that’s what the window is for on the oven.
Cooking is one of my hobbies too :)

INSman
11-19-2007, 09:51 PM
http://www.cooking-italian-food.com/beef.htm :idea:

48OFF
11-19-2007, 09:55 PM
This works for any size roast any kind. You do all the fancy stuff to it like rolling or covering it in rock salt,special herbs,ect ect if you want or just put it in, or on a roasting pan. This is the part that is hard to understand how it works but it does.
1 Put it in oven preheated to 375. Cook for 1 hour and turn off oven, and do not open the oven ever.(The roast must be in for at least 2 hours and up to 5 this way with the oven off) 2 One hour before you want to eat turn oven back on at 300 for 45 minutes. Then take out of oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving and it will be perfectly medium rare no matter what size roast you have. I have done 20+ prime ribs this way from 2 pounders up to a 26 pound monster. 3 If you have someone that does not like a perfectly done prime rib just put their piece into the micro for a minute to get rid of the pink for them. Dont try to put the whole thing in longer as it screws it up. My mom found this recipe from a cookbook I think named Colorado Cashe or something like that. It works everytime.

48OFF
11-19-2007, 09:55 PM
This works for any size roast any kind. You do all the fancy stuff to it like rolling or covering it in rock salt,special herbs,ect ect if you want or just put it in, or on a roasting pan. This is the part that is hard to understand how it works but it does.
1 Put it in oven preheated to 375. Cook for 1 hour and turn off oven, and do not open the oven ever.(The roast must be in for at least 2 hours and up to 5 this way with the oven off) 2 One hour before you want to eat turn oven back on at 300 for 45 minutes. Then take out of oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving and it will be perfectly medium rare no matter what size roast you have. I have done 20+ prime ribs this way from 2 pounders up to a 26 pound monster. 3 If you have someone that does not like a perfectly done prime rib just put their piece into the micro for a minute to get rid of the pink for them. Dont try to put the whole thing in longer as it screws it up. My mom found this recipe from a cookbook I think named Colorado Cashe or something like that. It works everytime.

DeltaSigBoater
11-19-2007, 09:58 PM
What temp & how long per pound ? I've been thinking about doing this , just don't want to ruin a great piece of meat .
Let it come to room temp before cooking.
500* for 15 minutes, 350* remaining cook time.
Cook 15 - 18 minutes per lbs = 120* Rare. 18 - 20 minutes per lbs = 135* Med Rare.
Do not let it reach temp in the oven. Remove 10* to 15* below temp. The heat of the meat and roasting pan will bring it to temp, let stand for @ least 15 minutes, This will also allow for the juices to redistribute throughout the roast.

INSman
11-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Are you keeping a meat thermo in and pulling out at 115, 120 ???

Mardonzi
11-19-2007, 10:07 PM
This is how I usually prepare it..
Rub it down with Olive oil the day before, then coat it in a spice mix called "Spike" (you can get it at any Hi-Health store).
Take a large cast iron frypan, fill it up 1/2 way with oil, get it hot and then deepfry (sear) the roast, turning it till there is a crust. Pull it out and then bake it at 225 till the meat thermometer reads 10 degrees lower than how you want the finish to be. It will cook another 10 degrees after you pull it.

48OFF
11-19-2007, 10:12 PM
No, just do like it says. The key is to not ever open the oven door. You can put a thermo in it after it comes out if you want to make shure. A friend from work has a sister that is a chef at some fancy resteraunt in San Fran , and she did not belive this would work and would not let him wreck her meal ,so they cut the roast in half and cooked it both ways. Hers was f'ed up and he was a hero for the day. She now impresses her friends with her inovative style of Prime rib. I say hit the easy button.

Phat Matt
11-19-2007, 10:42 PM
No, just do like it says. The key is to not ever open the oven door. You can put a thermo in it after it comes out if you want to make shure. A friend from work has a sister that is a chef at some fancy resteraunt in San Fran , and she did not belive this would work and would not let him wreck her meal ,so they cut the roast in half and cooked it both ways. Hers was f'ed up and he was a hero for the day. She now impresses her friends with her inovative style of Prime rib. I say hit the easy button.
Sounds easy but I know I would want to open the door because I can't! :D

Not So Fast
11-19-2007, 11:00 PM
I usually use a Farber Ware rotissarie (sp) for Prime rib roasts. Time depends on the dia. of the roast but generally they take about 2&1/2 hrs and turns out great. For seasoning I use Montreal seasoning and thats it, never had a bad one and boy does it smell good while cooking. FarberWares are fantastic and so simple. Good luck, NSF

INSman
11-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Gas, Electric no diff ?!? This doesn't work out and I'm coming to visit you in
Coeur D Alene :eek: :D

acatitude
11-19-2007, 11:28 PM
ok your saying cook for 1 hour.
turn off oven and let roast sit in there for 2-5 hrs
then recook for 45 min at 300 before eating?
and regardless of whether it sits in an off oven for 2 or 5 hours it will be cooked the same???

SummitKarl
11-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Anyone got the killer fool-proof recipe ?!? Where is A Catered Life when you need him :idea:
yea, I got a great great recipe
cook it till the thermometer says 155........ then call me:D

franky
11-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Insman,
Don't you have a rotisserie on your big baller Viking BBQ? Rub with olive oil, good seasoning, lots of coarse ground pepper, mesquite chips in the smoker box and let her rip.
Just remember to take it off before it is done, it keeps cooking. That and a deep fried turkey, yum!

INSman
11-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Insman,
Don't you have a rotisserie on your big baller Viking BBQ? Rub with olive oil, good seasoning, lots of coarse ground pepper, mesquite chips in the smoker box and let her rip.
Just remember to take it off before it is done, it keeps cooking. That and a deep fried turkey, yum!
Funny you mention this, was thinking of that option myself yet nobody offered up anything other than conventional oven cooking, and no "Baller" Viking BBQ at my place that I am aware of, just a plain old Lynx ProSear :D

INSman
11-20-2007, 07:31 AM
yea, I got a great great recipe
cook it till the thermometer says 155........ then call me:D
Always a "giver" Karl, no wonder why I like you :)

Jerrys59
11-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Keep it simple.
Be selective in your cut of meat. Don’t settle for a small sucky end cut. If it looks like shiat when you buy it – it will not taste any better after cooking it. You know when the counter guy sez can I help you with something? Say sure, and find a good cut.
Rub the roast in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. If you can get away with it, use lotsa cracked pepper to form a nice crust.
Bring the roast up to room temp before you cook it (let it set for 2-3 hours, it won’t hurt it) Heat your oven to the point it almost burns the house down; sear the roast for a ½ hour, then low and slow to your liking.
Yeah, yeah, slits with garlic cloves, Rosemary, other things. Don’t need em. The flavor comes from the cut of meat itself, not all the garbage you stick into or on it.
And for god’s sake, do not keep poking it or opening the oven. Use a meat thermometer, put it in and leave it alone, that’s what the window is for on the oven.
Sounds good! About the same way I do mine. Also done it in my smoker and they really taste good.

delemorte
11-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Keep it simple.
I was a chef for numerous years and this sounds legit to me.. but do your self a favor and invest in a remote meat thermostat. just plug it up and that way you can monitor the temp with out ever opening the door.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12123876
beest 30 bucks you ever spent.

Mrs. 20
11-20-2007, 09:40 AM
I use Elton Browns recipe from Good Eats on Food Network. It involved high heat for a short while, then low heat. Just some kosher salt and pepper. Also, buy one of those digital timers! They are essential. I have never overdone a roast since using his recipe. Good luck!:)

Baja Big Dog
11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Rub it, salt pepper, a little peanut oil, garlic around the base (about 15 heads) put the oven on "CLEAN", run it for about half hour, let the roast sit in the kitchen for 5-6 hours, place it in a pan, fat side up, cross cut the fat in 1 inch squares about half way through the fat, (dont even think about trimming the fat, you will go to cook jail), put the roast in the oven, with a thermo, put it back on clean, leave it for about 10-15 min's, and shut the oven off, DO NOT...REPEAT, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT OPENING THE DOOR!! Let it go for about three hours, reading the temp, when its just below rare, (unless you desire to ruin a great meal by cooking it medium, or well) open the door, and let it sit, slice away, and call me when its done!!!! Im fricken hungry!!!
And dont even think of giving those bones to the dog until I have cleaned them off!!!

a catered life
11-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Keep it simple.
wtf has this place come to since i have been gone for a while..for gods sake it a cow people....so you can beat it up and it still taste great....
c-2 has the best basic plan so far keep it simple....preheat oven to 400 degrees. i dont use oil because it adds nothing to a good cut of beef unless your going to pan sear it and please dont pan sear prime rib.....first you need a good roasting pan with a lid...go to costo and buy any brand of monteral steak seasonings (mccormick has a good one)....wash your meat and pat dry.. pour about 1/4c of red wine over the meat and coat heavily with the seasonings. mince some garlic and stuff it around the bone end so as it roast it will absorb into the bone and thru the meat make sure to pack it on heavy..place the meat in the roasting pan and cook in the oven on 325 degrees....cook for a hour to two depending on how big you roast is with out opening the door take the temperature of the meat in the thickest part near the middle...the trick to not open the oven and poke your meat to much.. you want to keep the juices inside and keep the oven at a even temperature...the last 30 minutes of cooking baste the crap out of the meat with the juice in the pan...once the thickest part reaches 145 medium rare that sucker is ready according to how you want it....well done is about 165.....remember its beef so medium rare is the best way to eat good beef and taste the aged meat...
i expect a invite in the mail today:D

Not So Fast
11-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Funny you mention this, was thinking of that option myself yet nobody offered up anything other than conventional oven cooking, and no "Baller" Viking BBQ at my place that I am aware of, just a plain old Lynx ProSear :D
Oh yeah I did. For consistent heat and not having to woory about it all the time I'm telling you a FARBER WARE electric rotissere doe as godd a job as I have ever tasted PERIOD but if you dont want to listen OK :D :D NSF

essexjet
11-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Has anyone tried it in a slow cooker?

DeltaSigBoater
11-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Has anyone tried it in a slow cooker?
I havent, Im afraid it would over cook.

AzLakeLizard
11-20-2007, 11:56 AM
This is how I usually prepare it..
Rub it down with Olive oil the day before, then coat it in a spice mix called "Spike" (you can get it at any Hi-Health store).
Take a large cast iron frypan, fill it up 1/2 way with oil, get it hot and then deepfry (sear) the roast, turning it till there is a crust. Pull it out and then bake it at 225 till the meat thermometer reads 10 degrees lower than how you want the finish to be. It will cook another 10 degrees after you pull it.
YUMMY.. and we end up with the whole neighor hood over for dinner and drinks to boot!... always have people munching on the ribs before the prime is put on the table!.. we have never had any complaints with the way Don does our Primes!..:)

Hardly Satisfied
11-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Blaine, I take it that you are having thanksgiving in Havasu.

PUMPkin
11-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Have the butcher cradle the roast, you'll need a 3/8" fat cap. In a bowl mix rock salt, Dijon mustard and garlic puree until it's a paste. After the roast reaches room temp pat the mixture on the fat cap on the top of the roast until it's about 1/2" inch thick. Prepare the barbie for cooking with the indirect method, insert a meat thermometer in the center of the roast, put it on the grill over a drip pan and close the lid, add coals every hour if cooking a large roast. When the thermometer reaches rare/medium rare take the roast off the grill and cover with foil for 20 minutes. The salt cap will be hard, cut the strings and it will come off easily, discard it. Now use meat forks to move the roast off the rib bones and onto a platter, carve into slices as thick or thin as you like. This method makes for an incredibly moist roast and frees up your oven for all the side dishes and pies .
I've been cooking my roasts like this for a long time and it never fails.
yum yum

ROCCO
11-20-2007, 05:36 PM
48off, are you saying it needs to stay in oven turned off for 2 hours after the initial 375 hour? or would 1 hour off then back on for 45 work?

AZKC
11-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Rub it, salt pepper, a little peanut oil, garlic around the base (about 15 heads) put the oven on "CLEAN", run it for about half hour, let the roast sit in the kitchen for 5-6 hours, place it in a pan, fat side up, cross cut the fat in 1 inch squares about half way through the fat, (dont even think about trimming the fat, you will go to cook jail), put the roast in the oven, with a thermo, put it back on clean, leave it for about 10-15 min's, and shut the oven off, DO NOT...REPEAT, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT OPENING THE DOOR!! Let it go for about three hours, reading the temp, when its just below rare, (unless you desire to ruin a great meal by cooking it medium, or well) open the door, and let it sit, slice away, and call me when its done!!!! Im fricken hungry!!!
And dont even think of giving those bones to the dog until I have cleaned them off!!!
I'm likin this one:D May have to try it for Santas meal:)

48OFF
11-22-2007, 11:16 AM
After the 1st hour of 375, turn off oven and let sit at least 2hr--up to 5hr then 1 hour before you want to eat ,45 min at 300. Then take out let it rest before carving 15 min. enjoy. Let us know how they turn regardless of how you cooked it. They all taste good as long as they are not overdone.

INSman
11-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Blaine, I take it that you are having thanksgiving in Havasu.
Oh yeah, and boy am I FULL !!!! :(

48OFF
11-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Which way did you cook it? and how was it?

bonesfab
11-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Do these recepies work for just prime rib or any roast? What cut of meat are we using here? Always willing to learn how to eat better food. They all sound good to me..

ROCCO
11-23-2007, 01:07 PM
I cooked it before you clarified the recipe. I only let it siti 1 hour then turned it back on @ 300 for 45 minuteds and it still came out perfect! It is easier than cooking hamburger. Thanks alot.

Sotally Tober
11-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Hey Eric, It nice to see you post around here. What you been up to? Ill have to try your method some time.
I rotisserie prime ribs on a Weber kettle. You got to use hickory and mesquite chips though. Season it however you want. Done some 20 lbers in an hour and a half. The smoke really gives it a good flavor.

INSman
11-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Which way did you cook it? and how was it?
Rib roast tomorrow night, deep fried turkey and ham last night ;)
I plan on going your route and hope for the best :idea:

INSman
11-24-2007, 07:31 PM
This recipe is down right "MONEY" ..... Tried it out tonight and it went as well as expected and I would highly recommend and try again.... I did a seasoned pepper, rosemary and Montreal Steak seasoning mix on the outside and it just happened to work just fine.
Thank you very much for the idea and recipe.. :idea: :D

48OFF
11-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Glad it worked out! Write it down somewhere because around the holidays people will keep calling you to tell them how to do it. I get about 20 calls a year. My next one I might brine it. Soak the meat in a salt water and sugar brine . The cookbook said to do this to a roast but I started doing this to steaks this summer (about 3 hours)and they have been the best ever. Although it looks like you are rinsing out maxipads in a ziplock baggy it tastes great.

Kachina26
11-24-2007, 08:50 PM
This recipe is down right "MONEY" ..... Tried it out tonight and it went as well as expected and I would highly recommend and try again.... I did a seasoned pepper, rosemary and Montreal Steak seasoning mix on the outside and it just happened to work just fine.
Thank you very much for the idea and recipe.. :idea: :D
Should have walked over to your pad for dinner. I had toast.

TheCarDudes
11-24-2007, 09:08 PM
All I can say after eating meals at some of the finest restaurants in the country (i.e Mastros, Ruth Chris, Crustation, Morton's, etc. etc.) the Prime Rib at INSman's tonight was nothing short of EPIC. Seriously the BEST meal I have ever had.
Thanks buddy for an unbelievable dinner. Absolutely fantastic.:D
This is going to be a tough act to follow.;)

Kachina26
11-24-2007, 09:25 PM
All I can say after eating meals at some of the finest restaurants in the country (i.e Mastros, Ruth Chris, Crustation, Morton's, etc. etc.) the Prime Rib at INSman's tonight was nothing short of EPIC. Seriously the BEST meat I have ever had in my mouth.
Thanks buddy for an unbelievable dinner. Absolutely fantastic.:D
This is going to be a tough act to follow.;)
:jawdrop:

INSman
11-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Should have walked over to your pad for dinner. I had toast.
We had a nice slice just sitting there for you, wish we would have known you were in town :(
We will do it again for sure .....;)

v-drive
11-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Has anyone done anything in a convection oven?

Kachina26
11-25-2007, 08:08 AM
We had a nice slice just sitting there for you, wish we would have known you were in town :(
We will do it again for sure .....;)
We snuck in late Friday. Here until sometime tomorrow.

FOXMAN
11-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Has anyone done anything in a convection oven?
Not me. I just bought a Traeger wood pellet grill this summer.It uses indirect heat to cook. I havent mastered how to cook with it, but with the seasonings they give you to try made the prime rib i cooked turn out pretty good.

Wet Dream
11-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Ok, I'm beef stupid so help me out here. Do I ask for it by "Prime Rib Roast"? or boneless or bone in what? What cut? :confused: I called a meat guy and said some other kind of roast and that he'd prepare to order.

INSman
11-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Ok, I'm beef stupid so help me out here. Do I ask for it by "Prime Rib Roast"? or boneless or bone in what? What cut? :confused: I called a meat guy and said some other kind of roast and that he'd prepare to order.
I am no butcher and unless it is stamped "Prime" you can just refer to it as a Ribroast or a Ribeye roast. Pretty much looks like a 5-7 Ribeye steaks in one solid piece and you can get it with or without the ribs, mine was with ribs and was a USDA "Choice" cut from Costco, although Costco is now selling some "Prime" beef which I have also had (NY Strips) and they were very good.

Wet Dream
11-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Thank you INSMAN. Looking forward to this.

INSman
11-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Thank you INSMAN. Looking forward to this.
Have to give all the credit to 48OFF on this one..... I did pour a little red wine over all parts of the meat before I coated with my own seasoning creation and I also cross-cut the fat side so the seasonings would stick a little better.
The recipe suggests letting the roast sit in the oven for 2-5 hours after the first hour of cooking, I did exactly 2 hours as it was later in the day and guess another hour or so would not really do much more cooking if any as the temp of the oven after the 2 hours is probably pretty much a non-issue. I would probably do a meat thermometer next time and just pull it out at 135 degrees and the roast should hit 145 (med rare) during the 15 minutes of sitting after being pulled out of the oven.

SB
11-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Good stuff.
For a regular pot roast, you want to brown the outside in a pan before you roast it.

gmocnik
11-26-2007, 11:26 AM
I am no butcher and unless it is stamped "Prime" you can just refer to it as a Ribroast or a Ribeye roast. Pretty much looks like a 5-7 Ribeye steaks in one solid piece and you can get it with or without the ribs, mine was with ribs and was a USDA "Choice" cut from Costco, although Costco is now selling some "Prime" beef which I have also had (NY Strips) and they were very good.
Had to try the 480ff recipe...used an 8 pounder from costco for a "test"..
best prime rib dinner i have ever had...that thing was a perfect medium rare...
thanks

NorCalCat
11-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Supper easy. 2 ways to come out perfect. season with salt and pepper, cover in rock salt. This locks in the flavor. Does not make it too salty. Bake 350* 18 min per pound. Use a meat thermometer and cook to desired wellness.
2. no rock salt. Same, 350* 18 min per lb. Season with roast seasoning, (my favorite is the Cajon Creol seasoning)
**get bone in. Ask the buchar to cut the rib off and retie it, this makes for a much easier tome carving**
***Impportant***
Cut right away or it will continue to cook and your medium rare will turn to well before you know it.:eek:

Hardly Satisfied
12-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Just got done cooking a Rib Roast, came out perfect.

INSman
12-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Just got done cooking a Rib Roast, came out perfect.
Did you do it "Our" way Ed or the hard way ?!? :eek: :D

INSman
12-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Had to try the 480ff recipe...used an 8 pounder from costco for a "test"..
best prime rib dinner i have ever had...that thing was a perfect medium rare...
thanks
What did you do for seasonings ?!? :idea:

48OFF
12-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Ready for one more easy one for the best baby back pork ribs? I just made these tonight at work. Im a fireman so we eat at work. This one was an experiment that went right and I have been doing this one for years. First peel the membrane off the back side of the ribs ( you should always do this) If you dont the flavor does no go through the meat as well. Then put on your favorite seasoning(dry rub this is called) My favorite is Alpine touch. I dont know if it is available in all parts of the country. Use what ya got. Now the weird part. Get a pan that can get dirty and put it on you grill. It doesnt matter if it is gas or charcoal. Find a rack to hold the ribs above the pan. It doesnt matter how high above the liquid it is. Then find some cranberry juice or cranberry cocktail and mix with the proper amount of water, and put it in the pan. Then turn on the BBQ to the lowest heat possible and cook for about 4 hours turning the ribs about 2/3 of the way through. Keep an eye on the liquid and ad more water to keep it from burning in the pan. The pan catched the fat so it does not flame up, and the cranberry steams into the meat and it make ribs that taste so good that nobody yet has wanted to put any BBQ sause on them yet. These may be better than Prime rib. E

48OFF
12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
IT is snowing out and I just washed my car. We can do that on the weekends.

INSman
12-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Ready for one more easy one for the best baby back pork ribs? I just made these tonight at work. Im a fireman so we eat at work. This one was an experiment that went right and I have been doing this one for years. First peel the membrane off the back side of the ribs ( you should always do this) If you dont the flavor does no go through the meat as well. Then put on your favorite seasoning(dry rub this is called) My favorite is Alpine touch. I dont know if it is available in all parts of the country. Use what ya got. Now the weird part. Get a pan that can get dirty and put it on you grill. It doesnt matter if it is gas or charcoal. Find a rack to hold the ribs above the pan. It doesnt matter how high above the liquid it is. Then find some cranberry juice or cranberry cocktail and mix with the proper amount of water, and put it in the pan. Then turn on the BBQ to the lowest heat possible and cook for about 4 hours turning the ribs about 2/3 of the way through. Keep an eye on the liquid and ad more water to keep it from burning in the pan. The pan catched the fat so it does not flame up, and the cranberry steams into the meat and it make ribs that taste so good that nobody yet has wanted to put any BBQ sause on them yet. These may be better than Prime rib. E
Same idea on a bbq rotisserie ?!? :idea:

Hardly Satisfied
12-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Did you do it "Our" way Ed or the hard way ?!? :eek: :D
Did it the way 48OFF said. I like a little more red but it came out great. One thing I was not sure of was when turning the oven back on I waited until it hit 300 than set the timer for 45 mins.

INSman
12-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Did it the way 48OFF said. I like a little more red but it came out great. One thing I was not sure of was when turning the oven back on I waited until it hit 300 than set the timer for 45 mins.
I did the 45 minutes right from turning the oven back on, there is your extra red my friend ;)

INSman
12-02-2007, 02:55 PM
I did the 45 minutes right from turning the oven back on, there is your extra red my friend ;)
What did you do for spices and how did you like what you used ?!?

INSman
12-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Trying a lamb roast the same way tonight, hope it comes out as good :D

Hardly Satisfied
12-08-2007, 06:54 PM
That's what I was thinking.Going to try it the other way like you did.

INSman
12-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Okay, this recipe DOES NOT work for a boneless lamb roast but I did take it out about 15 minutes before the end of the 2 hr. rest period as I saw the thermo read 140 degrees and it was done.

Baja Big Dog
12-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Trying a lamb roast the same way tonight, hope it comes out as good :D
Ahhhhhh...poke the lamb (leg, with bone!!) with large fork, numerous times, cross cut about two inch squares, half gallon Paisano wine, green onions cut up fine, little bit of sage, some rosemary, pepper, salt a squeeze of lime,. stuff half cloves of garlic, stab meat with fillet knife, stuff about 12-15 pieces of garlic, marinate the roast in the wine and above ingredients, for at least 24 hours, 48 hours wont hurt, turning over every 6 hours, BBQ on real BBQ, with either hickory or mesquite and cook for about two hours, use a thermo, cook slow, turning with tongs, dont poke the meat with a fork after you start cooking.
Should be pretty good....:D

wildfire555
12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
hey i just went out today and got a nice piece of prime rib( a 4.5 LB er) I think im gonna use the 1 hr cook- 2-5 hr rest in oven - 45 min cook method. what should i put the roast in? and should it be covered?

Havasu1986
12-11-2007, 06:58 PM
hey i just went out today and got a nice piece of prime rib( a 4.5 LB er) I think im gonna use the 1 hr cook- 2-5 hr rest in oven - 45 min cook method. what should i put the roast in? and should it be covered?
Post #6 pretty much covers what you are going to do.

INSman
12-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Post #6 pretty much covers what you are going to do.
Yup post #6 pretty much covers it aside from seasonings and such.
Put it in one of these dealios if you have one http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=403913
fat side up, not covered......DO NOT cut until the roast has been out of the oven for about 15 minutes and loosely covered with foil to allow the juices to pull into the core of the roast..
please report back :D ;)

wildfire555
12-12-2007, 08:53 AM
insman thanks for the clarification, i used the pan that came with the oven.
i have it in the oven now. I let it sit out for two hours this morning then rubbed it with mccormick roast rub and minced garlic after crosscutting the fat.
thanks to all that contributed to this thread, it was the motivation to go to the city and get a good slab of meat. I live just outside of Philadelphia and don't venture into the city often. I bought the prime rib in the citys famous italian market section (rockys training ground) which is notorious for fresh meat, seafood and produce. The roast looks to be aged a bit so hopefully it will be nice and tender.
I'll give a full report tonight.

INSman
12-12-2007, 09:01 AM
insman thanks for the clarification, i used the pan that came with the oven.
i have it in the oven now. I let it sit out for two hours this morning then rubbed it with mccormick roast rub and minced garlic after crosscutting the fat.
thanks to all that contributed to this thread, it was the motivation to go to the city and get a good slab of meat. I live just outside of Philadelphia and don't venture into the city often. I bought the prime rib in the citys famous italian market section (rockys training ground) which is notorious for fresh meat, seafood and produce. The roast looks to be aged a bit so hopefully it will be nice and tender.
I'll give a full report tonight.
In case you did not catch it earlier, count the time (45 min) that you turn the oven back on and not from when you turn the oven back on and it reaches the 300 degrees for the last 45 minutes of cooking... And whatever you do, DO NOT open that oven door under ANY circumstances. I did only a 2 hr (min) rest period between the first cook and the last cook so I would obviously do the 2 hours but probably would not press th 3 hour mark as I have not gone that long yet. ;) Good luck !!

NeverEnough
12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Does anyone have any good brisket reciepes? Or I always love pulled pork sandwichs. I need a good way to cook them indoors consedering it is 10 degrees out here!:idea:

wildfire555
12-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Wow what a meal.
-I took the meat out of the refridgerator 2.5 hrs prior to cooking
-I cross-cut the fat side in 1" squares
-I rubbed the outside of the roast with mccormic roast rub and minced garlic
-i cooked initially for one hour at 375F
-I had some errands to do so i had a 4-4.5 hour rest period
-I turned the oven to 300F and immeadiately started the 45min timer
- after 45 min i removed the roast and covered with foil
- after covering i inserted a meat therometer to discover an interal temp of 125F
-after sitting for 15min the temp had risen to 133F or so.
everything came out perfect thanks for a great recipe. I got lots of positive comments and everyone wanted to know where i got the recipe.

Havasu1986
12-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Wow what a meal.
- after covering i inserted a meat therometer to discover an interal temp of 125F
everything came out perfect thanks for a great recipe. I got lots of positive comments and everyone wanted to know where i got the recipe.
Why did you do this. To get the meat to room temp.?

INSman
12-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Why did you do this. To get the meat to room temp.?
Yes, the recipe calls for the meat being at room temp. before cooking...

INSman
12-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Wow what a meal.
I am VERY glad that this worked out for you and looking forward to doing another one here later in the month with a "Prime" cut versus the previous "Choice" cut I did before that came out spectacular. I think in all honesty I did the first round at 380 and the second round at 310 and I am glad that you used a meat thermo to check the temp and will certainly use one from the beginning of future rib roasts. Was yours a bone in or boneless roast out of curiosity ?!?

rlj676
12-13-2007, 09:51 AM
So, it sounds like 480's recipe turns out as good as prime rib from a reputable steak place?
So would you guys say it turned out better than prime rib from some generic chain, like Outback?
I'm thinking I need to try this soon for sure.

wildfire555
12-13-2007, 10:52 AM
INSman it was a bone in from a high quality butcher shop. I believe the exceptional quality of the meat and the recipe made the primerib as good as any resturant i have had prime, and i have been to quite a few that are notorious for their prime rib.

INSman
12-13-2007, 01:50 PM
INSman it was a bone in from a high quality butcher shop. I believe the exceptional quality of the meat and the recipe made the primerib as good as any resturant i have had prime, and i have been to quite a few that are notorious for their prime rib.
I would say the same and I have been to some of the best and my first roast was only a "Choice" cut, but "Prime" is next !!! :D
I used a hodge podge seasoning mix that also seemed to work VERY well that included Montreal Steak seasoning, seasoned pepper, dried rosemary and a little bit of "Herbes de Provence" that I cannot remember where I got from, but added a little extra flavor on the herb side.

clownpuncher
12-13-2007, 02:07 PM
I"ve cooked a few hundred in my time.;)
You've got some good pointers here, just take your time and keep it simple.
A good creamed horseradish sauce is always a good thing too.
Making your own Au Jus is a little more time consuming and complicated.
Good luck, post some pics of the finished product

Phat Matt
01-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I still need to try this one.

INSman
01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I still need to try this one.
Yes you do, VERY good !!! :')
I missed on it recently, only because I did not let the roast sit out of the fridge long enough to come to room temperature before cooking and my (2) thermometers could not have been any more wrong in both directions. Good news is that I did not "overcook" it and just hd to give it a bit more time.