PDA

View Full Version : Judge throws out 14 forclosers

Freak
11-20-2007, 11:03 AM
woops I ment foreclosures....
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/15/business/15lend.html?ex=1195794000&en=09648beb1e35f1a5&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
This is how screwed everything is. This pyramid scheme called derivatives is so simple it is hard to see. It is just obfuscated by complexity.
Lets look at just the first layer. A trust is formed that buys 10,000 mortgages averaging $250, 000. These mortgages are parked by the mortgage company or " warehoused" until the package is ready. One of the caveats is that a mortgage in default must be repurchased by the mortgage company for cash or like kind substitution dollar for dollar. Technically, the trust should never have to foreclose. The trust sells all 10,000 mortgages as a group to 1000 separate investors. The 1/1000 share is a security and may only be sold as a single unit. Like a Bond, the denomination cannot be split. that is what makes it a portable security like a savings bond. These securities are said to be asset backed. That is, they back collectively all 1000 holders of the trust security. This is simplified.
That is not the same as ownership of the mortgage. If you carve out 1 of the 10,000 mortgages you have 1000 pro rata owners of that single mortgage. Obviously, no single security owner owns the note and never will. The security holder owns the RIGHTS to the cash flow of all the mortgages to the tune of 1/1000 including principle repayments. Minus, very small fee to the trustees and the fees paid servicers.
Oh shit, the originator of the 10,000 mortgages , say Countrywide, defaults and does not repurchase the defaulting mortgage. Then what? Their remedy is to sue the originator to compel the repo. Then , as we know a bunch of originators go broke and file for bankruptcy. Happened a few hundred times in the last year. Obviously, the trust issuing the 1000 securities is also now unable to fully pass up the cash flow expected. The trust cannot file bankruptcy because it has no debt, they are usually prohibited from incurring debt other than nominals... the fees.
Stuck in the water. No money, no ownership of a security interest and asset backed is seen for the hollow value it is. No way to foreclose unless someone buys out all 1000 holders of the trusts notes and folds the trust in exchange for the individual 10,000 mortgages.
The Feds might give a judgement but then who evicts and takes possession? Who files to vacate the mortgage to have clear title? The end result is that the contractual product is unsortable. The financial instruments were created in which *nobody* has standing to enforce the terms that define its value…
Now there is a legal person having standing to sue in most cases. It is the trust that owns the mortgage. Here we get a real howl. Almost all of these ownership trusts were designed so that they will never have a foreclosure. Any defaulting mortgage must be bought by the originator or replaced with like kind so that they never own a mortgage to foreclose. To that end, the cash flow rights provide little funds to pursue a foreclosure because they never have one in theory. They also may not incur debt other than incidentals and fees to the trustees. They have no funds provision to pursue a foreclosure. Boom, the originators do not repo the defaulted mortgages so....... there they sit. The trust agreement would need to be approved to enable funds diversion thus killing the cash flow and the price. The owners of these mortgage owning trusts only have rights to the cash flow. They each own their aliquot share of all mortgages in the trust not any individual mortgage. They were direct copies of Credit Card Trusts. Making things impossible , the owners of the mortgage repo trust are trusts that contain other debt owning trusts. These trusts are CDO's. Getting even more dicey, these CDO's are owned by SIV corporate type entities chartered in tax havens financed by the banks to keep the whole mess outside consolidation of the bankcorp or investment house. Asset backed never meant rights to a foreclosure only the rights to the cash flow of the foreclosure. To get rights to foreclose someone must buy the note. if they do that and they own one participation out of 1000, they enrich the other 999. So all the owners get together to actually fund the purchase of these defaulted loans at par to foreclose them and get half back. They are never going to get that kind of participation.
My mind swims thinking about this.....The big boys painted themselfs in a corner on this one. :sqeyes: Then think about all the retirement funds that are also invested in these securitys…….

Sleek-Jet
11-20-2007, 11:13 AM
That's simple???

C-2
11-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Gotta love that pitch:
Investors: What happens if the loan originator refuses to by back the loans?
Loan pool seller: They tell us to pound sand, but that'll never happen.
Investors: Sounds good, where do we sign?
Pyramid scheme is right. Everybody had their hands in the cookie jar.

Mandelon
11-20-2007, 11:42 AM
So that explains why a few folks are living in homes, not making payments and not getting booted out, eh?
How many homes are involved in these types of deals? Hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands?

burtandnancy2
11-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Therefore, if you go into default on your home loan, and its a part of the pooled mortgage - thing, then who's going to throw you out of your home. The judge ruled that the new (owners) don't really have any authority as they don't have proper title to these home. Someone shot themselves in the foot and it wasn't the first home owner. This is going to be fun to watch how it sorts out...

cxr133
11-20-2007, 11:48 AM
hmmm......... my brother in law owns an escrow company in Palmdale, and he was just explaining to us last week how he was getting the contracts to do the escrow for these trust funds mortgages.
Should i tell him to be wary, that they are pyramid schemes. or should he not care because he is only handling the escrow?

BEER&WATER
11-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I thinks that the trustees will be makin some deals
now that the word is out on how to beat them

C-2
11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
I wonder how that will impact Cali since the majority of foreclosures are Power of Sale via the Trustee only?
Guess it will only make it easier for people to walk since most banks will not want to pursue a judicial foreclosure on non-purchase money and second Trust Deeds.
Great news for those who used their equity as ATM's, then decided to walk away.:eek:

OC28HEAT
11-20-2007, 11:07 PM
It will not affect the power of sale in California or any other Non judicial states one bit MERS as Nominee for the Bene has been an issue that most have known or should have knwo about. It was dealt with in Florida and Texas a While back why these Guys in Ohio had a problem just means they were not paying attention

Jesster
11-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Is your screen name Jeromie on another site???
woops I ment foreclosures....
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/15/business/15lend.html?ex=1195794000&en=09648beb1e35f1a5&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
This is how screwed everything is. This pyramid scheme called derivatives is so simple it is hard to see. It is just obfuscated by complexity.
Lets look at just the first layer. A trust is formed that buys 10,000 mortgages averaging $250, 000. These mortgages are parked by the mortgage company or " warehoused" until the package is ready. One of the caveats is that a mortgage in default must be repurchased by the mortgage company for cash or like kind substitution dollar for dollar. Technically, the trust should never have to foreclose. The trust sells all 10,000 mortgages as a group to 1000 separate investors. The 1/1000 share is a security and may only be sold as a single unit. Like a Bond, the denomination cannot be split. that is what makes it a portable security like a savings bond. These securities are said to be asset backed. That is, they back collectively all 1000 holders of the trust security. This is simplified.
That is not the same as ownership of the mortgage. If you carve out 1 of the 10,000 mortgages you have 1000 pro rata owners of that single mortgage. Obviously, no single security owner owns the note and never will. The security holder owns the RIGHTS to the cash flow of all the mortgages to the tune of 1/1000 including principle repayments. Minus, very small fee to the trustees and the fees paid servicers.
Oh shit, the originator of the 10,000 mortgages , say Countrywide, defaults and does not repurchase the defaulting mortgage. Then what? Their remedy is to sue the originator to compel the repo. Then , as we know a bunch of originators go broke and file for bankruptcy. Happened a few hundred times in the last year. Obviously, the trust issuing the 1000 securities is also now unable to fully pass up the cash flow expected. The trust cannot file bankruptcy because it has no debt, they are usually prohibited from incurring debt other than nominals... the fees.
Stuck in the water. No money, no ownership of a security interest and asset backed is seen for the hollow value it is. No way to foreclose unless someone buys out all 1000 holders of the trusts notes and folds the trust in exchange for the individual 10,000 mortgages.
The Feds might give a judgement but then who evicts and takes possession? Who files to vacate the mortgage to have clear title? The end result is that the contractual product is unsortable. The financial instruments were created in which *nobody* has standing to enforce the terms that define its value…
Now there is a legal person having standing to sue in most cases. It is the trust that owns the mortgage. Here we get a real howl. Almost all of these ownership trusts were designed so that they will never have a foreclosure. Any defaulting mortgage must be bought by the originator or replaced with like kind so that they never own a mortgage to foreclose. To that end, the cash flow rights provide little funds to pursue a foreclosure because they never have one in theory. They also may not incur debt other than incidentals and fees to the trustees. They have no funds provision to pursue a foreclosure. Boom, the originators do not repo the defaulted mortgages so....... there they sit. The trust agreement would need to be approved to enable funds diversion thus killing the cash flow and the price. The owners of these mortgage owning trusts only have rights to the cash flow. They each own their aliquot share of all mortgages in the trust not any individual mortgage. They were direct copies of Credit Card Trusts. Making things impossible , the owners of the mortgage repo trust are trusts that contain other debt owning trusts. These trusts are CDO's. Getting even more dicey, these CDO's are owned by SIV corporate type entities chartered in tax havens financed by the banks to keep the whole mess outside consolidation of the bankcorp or investment house. Asset backed never meant rights to a foreclosure only the rights to the cash flow of the foreclosure. To get rights to foreclose someone must buy the note. if they do that and they own one participation out of 1000, they enrich the other 999. So all the owners get together to actually fund the purchase of these defaulted loans at par to foreclose them and get half back. They are never going to get that kind of participation.
My mind swims thinking about this.....The big boys painted themselfs in a corner on this one. :sqeyes: Then think about all the retirement funds that are also invested in these securitys…….

C-2
11-20-2007, 11:22 PM
:) It will not affect the power of sale in California or any other Non judicial states one bit MERS as Nominee for the Bene has been an issue that most have known or should have knwo about. It was dealt with in Florida and Texas a While back why these Guys in Ohio had a problem just means they were not paying attention
When I saw the reference to "repository", MERS was the first thing I wondered about.
I'm picking up a few mortgage fraud cases now, in fact was working on one last might for Deutsche on behalf of New Century.
This whole debacle is going to make many attorneys rich...rich I tell ya. :eek:
Thanks for the clarification.

OC28HEAT
11-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Is your screen name Jeromie on another site???
no

OC28HEAT
11-21-2007, 09:25 AM
:)
When I saw the reference to "repository", MERS was the first thing I wondered about.
I'm picking up a few mortgage fraud cases now, in fact was working on one last might for Deutsche on behalf of New Century.
This whole debacle is going to make many attorneys rich...rich I tell ya. :eek:
Thanks for the clarification.
I spoke with a friend this am he is a default manager for a large servicer regarding this issue. He said that this actually had nothing to do with MERS but the OHIO state courts are so swamped that the attorneys are filing the actions in federal courts. The Federal judges have been ruling this wasy to get them out of the fed court and back into the state system.

C-2
11-21-2007, 09:45 AM
One of the components in a UD case is proving ownership, and a Trustees Deed is always introduced as prima facia evidence of ownership. I can see a state court judge entertaining an objection to the trustees deed being introduced on face value, and requiring further authentication and verification. Produce a rep, and a title chain.
Does MERS physically store docs, is that the issue (if you know?) Or is my understanding of MERS not correct (probably, lol)?

C-2
11-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Where the hell is HokeySon - lotsa good discussions he could be enjoying right about now. :)

OC28HEAT
11-21-2007, 02:55 PM
One of the components in a UD case is proving ownership, and a Trustees Deed is always introduced as prima facia evidence of ownership. I can see a state court judge entertaining an objection to the trustees deed being introduced on face value, and requiring further authentication and verification. Produce a rep, and a title chain.
Does MERS physically store docs, is that the issue (if you know?) Or is my understanding of MERS not correct (probably, lol)?
MERS is Mortgage Electronic Regitration Systems. It was created in the early 90's when the last waive of loans was being sold like crazy. It is basically a database in Mn. Each loan is listed with MERS as the Beneficiary and is given a MERS MIN registration number. When a loan is sold then purchaser just goes into the database and can notify them that they are now serviceing the loan and the chain of title stays in tact. When legal action occurs whether it be Backruptcy, Forclosure, or Unlawful Detainer actions the party takeing action must substitute MERS out and Sustitute the true entity in to the documents prior to the action.
For instance in California In Order for you to have the Power of Sale you have to be the Trustee So you have to subbed in. People in the past tried to foreclose in the Name of Mers but MERS was a nebulous entity that did not have the ability to answer phones or take payments or return calls or respond to respa he could not even appear at a trial kind of like HAL
\