PDA

View Full Version : Havasu peeps-save money on your property tax

SummitKarl
11-21-2007, 11:13 AM
With taxes coming due, it might be a good idea to check your property tax assessment
taxes have been raised over the past few years based on the boom sale prices and now that that is no longer going on, it might be a good idea to get reassessed to current market value and save some money, in your tax statement look at the "full cash value" if you feel your home is not worth that or could not sell for that in todays market then maybe it's a good idea to get reassessed:idea:
here is a link to check your statement, you will need your parcel number ie...123-45-678, if you don't know it you can search by addy or name
mohave-assessor (http://www.co.mohave.az.us/depts/assessor/prop_info.asp)

Cole Trickle
11-21-2007, 11:28 AM
I was going to post something similar to this questiuoning CA. I got a form from a compaany and they say they will challenge the current property tax based on current market value.
Mine wen't up the max 2% this year and I am probably 75-100K over actual market value. What are the pitfalls of having it changed and are these companies really gonna get it taken care of for $80.00???:) :) :idea:

SummitKarl
11-21-2007, 11:33 AM
I was going to post something similar to this questiuoning CA. I got a form from a compaany and they say they will challenge the current property tax based on current market value.
Mine wen't up the max 2% this year and I am probably 75-100K over actual market value. What are the pitfalls of having it changed and are these companies really gonna get it taken care of for $80.00???:) :) :idea:
I don't see this applying to CA. you have Prop-13 control, which is based on your orginal sale price, not your current market value, so CA. does not tax you based on a unrealized gain like Az. (score one good point for CA.);)

shippingguy
11-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Don't use those companies. I just got back from the County Assessor's Office. There is a form to fill out (Prop 8) You fill it out and get an agent to get you two comparable comps in your area from Jan 2007 to March 2007. You will still have to pay the full amount for the December bill, but if accepted you will get a dcreaase forthe April 2008 bill.
Mike

shippingguy
11-21-2007, 11:36 AM
One more thing. When the value goes back up it will adjust, but it can never get reassessed for more than the original assessed value when purchased plus the annual inflationary factor not to exceed 2% per year.

Cole Trickle
11-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Don't use those companies. I just got back from the County Assessor's Office. There is a form to fill out (Prop 8) You fill it out and get an agent to get you two comparable comps in your area from Jan 2007 to March 2007. You will still have to pay the full amount for the December bill, but if accepted you will get a dcreaase forthe April 2008 bill.
Mike
Did you do it?
I don't think there has beeen any sales in my neighborhood for a while. 3 wen't on the market in the past 6 months and they didn't move at 450K so they rented them out.
I paid 540K in may 06 and it's now at 550K (My house is nicer with a way more upgrades and bigger lot but one less bedroom)
I will probably wait until next year to see what the comps are. Is there any negatives if I decide to re fi or sell?

djunkie
11-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I was reading somewhere about being able to get a break on property tax here in Ca. Only problem is my house is apparently worth more than what I paid. :rolleyes:

SummitKarl
11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Did you do it?
I don't think there has beeen any sales in my neighborhood for a while. 3 wen't on the market in the past 6 months and they didn't move at 450K so they rented them out.
I paid 540K in may 06 and it's now at 550K (My house is nicer with a way more upgrades and bigger lot but one less bedroom)
I will probably wait until next year to see what the comps are. Is there any negatives if I decide to re fi or sell?
maybe?...if your trying to refi over 80% loan to value, it could factor in depending on the ReFi company

shippingguy
11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Did you do it?
I am filing out the form now. I still think I am above the current value and my home is WAY upgraded as well just like you. It cannot hurt. I will keep you posted. Once you fill it out you do not have to do it again next year. The property will automatically be reviewed. Give mea fax # and I will fax you over the FAQ's page.

Cole Trickle
11-21-2007, 11:44 AM
I was reading somewhere about being able to get a break on property tax here in Ca. Only problem is my house is apparently worth more than what I paid. :rolleyes:
I think your neighborhood is pretty solid without alot of movement. Your probably the last person that bought so your comp isn't gonna help you:)

SummitKarl
11-21-2007, 11:45 AM
it's that nice shade of pink you put on it, the homos are ballers:idea:

Cole Trickle
11-21-2007, 11:51 AM
maybe?...if your trying to refi over 80% loan to value, it could factor in depending on the ReFi company
shit... I put 20% down and I would have to do 100% finnancing now;):mad:

Cole Trickle
11-21-2007, 11:51 AM
I am filing out the form now. I still think I am above the current value and my home is WAY upgraded as well just like you. It cannot hurt. I will keep you posted. Once you fill it out you do not have to do it again next year. The property will automatically be reviewed. Give mea fax # and I will fax you over the FAQ's page.
I will shoot you a pm.
What year did you buy your home?:idea:

voodoomedman
11-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Go to your county assessor's website. You can download the form and do it your self for free. We live in San Bernardino County and my in-laws got there's reduced because there brand new neighborhood in Montclair has foreclosures and the builder is selling the ones they still own for much cheaper. I filled out the form and got denied in Chino because the date they look at is Jan 1st for the value. I may be able to save some next year though. You can fill them out every year. The company doing it for 80 bucks cannot guarantee anything. They are just filling out a form that takes you less than 5 minutes to do yourself and they are charging 80 bucks.

voodoomedman
11-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Nevermind my post. Grasshopper here has it all taken care of. I think it fixes your December bill though. At least in San Bernardino County. My inlaws got a whole new bill.
Mike
One more thing. When the value goes back up it will adjust, but it can never get reassessed for more than the original assessed value when purchased plus the annual inflationary factor not to exceed 2% per year.

shippingguy
11-21-2007, 01:20 PM
I will shoot you a pm.
What year did you buy your home?:idea:
Bought my house Feb 2006.

shippingguy
11-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Nevermind my post. Grasshopper here has it all taken care of. I think it fixes your December bill though. At least in San Bernardino County. My inlaws got a whole new bill.
:D :D :D

Cole Trickle
11-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Bought my house Feb 2006.
sweet...so were both screwed:D

shippingguy
11-21-2007, 01:41 PM
sweet...so were both screwed:D
Pretty much. I am not planning on selling here for another 3-5 years. Who knows maybe never at this rate:) :D

voodoomedman
11-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Pretty much. I am not planning on selling here for another 3-5 years. Who knows maybe never at this rate:) :D
Your on the same plan as me then. I thought you were going sooner. You sure you don't want to move to TN too? Between you, me and Nashvillebound we can sell Ultra's to the rednecks. :D

Cole Trickle
11-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Me too...
I actually reallly like the house but you can buy an ass load more home for the $$$ right now.
Atleast I made 100K more than my ahole ex neighbor when I sold my condo a year before he sold his;):D

shippingguy
11-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Your on the same plan as me then. I thought you were going sooner. You sure you don't want to move to TN too? Between you, me and Nashvillebound we can sell Ultra's to the rednecks. :D
I am open to many places. My wife has 9 acres in a real nice part of Montana. Who knows where we will be. Most likely Fort Mohave or Lake Havasu.:)

shippingguy
11-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Me too...
I actually reallly like the house but you can buy an ass load more home for the $$$ right now.
Atleast I made 100K more than my ahole ex neighbor when I sold my condo a year before he sold his;):D
I love the house I am in as well. I have a single story that is 2600 sqf so it is big enough and I have a large backyard, but you are right there is alot out there for less. If I had to stay here I would be fine, but we will make that move someday to the lake.

voodoomedman
11-21-2007, 02:04 PM
I am open to many places. My wife has 9 acres in a real nice part of Montana. Who knows where we will be. Most likely Fort Mohave or Lake Havasu.:)
You told me about Montana. I'd be there in a second but I have a problem. I like my balls. I don't want them to freeze off. :D

shippingguy
11-21-2007, 02:09 PM
You told me about Montana. I'd be there in a second but I have a problem. I like my balls. I don't want them to freeze off. :D
:) :D