PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Fencing?

Her454
11-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Any recommendations on wireless fencing for dogs? I am going to lose my Queensland :( if I don't do something fast. He now has figured out the pond ACROSS the road from my property and for some reason is heading over there all the time......... normally he stays close to home but I'm afraid he is going to get hit by a car.
I keep him in at night......I have a Rott I'd like to keep inside a perimeter as well. I have 5 acres and they run on but I'd like to keep them confined to a specific area.
Any suggestions for the wireless collars or fencing? :confused:

Rexone
11-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Any recommendations on wireless fencing for dogs? I am going to lose my Queensland :( if I don't do something fast. He now has figured out the pond ACROSS the road from my property and for some reason is heading over there all the time......... normally he stays close to home but I'm afraid he is going to get hit by a car.
I keep him in at night......I have a Rott I'd like to keep inside a perimeter as well. I have 5 acres and they run on but I'd like to keep them confined to a specific area.
Any suggestions for the wireless collars or fencing? :confused:
Traci my neighbor uses a collar and wire on their yellow lab who is a climber. I works bitchin. Not sure what brand it is. They simply ran a wire around the perimeter of the property on the wall (it can be buried too I understand), the dog won't go within 10 feet of the wall any more. But they do work.

CampbellCarl
11-21-2007, 06:39 PM
I went with the wire type. Have a Weimer that used to go shopping (female) while I was at work. Used to find stuff in the yard that wasn't mine. Final straw was when I came home, 'Harley' didn't greet me at the truck so I went to her. She rolled over to expose her ripped open belly (she'd slipped going over the chain link fence, you know, the kind with the sharp edges where the wire is twisted) and the ensuing vet bill of some $600+++ pushed me to the perimeter wire with battery collar. I buried the wire where it was obvious but the rest I just zip tied to the fencing (down low) and it works well. I have an acre lot so you'll need a lot more wire but it's easy! Check it out!
Oh 'ya Happy T-Day!
Carl

boat boy
11-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Petco has information on the radio fence, which has a collar that the dog wears and somekind of electrical current that is put out as the dog nears the the fence line. I need to investagate into this myself for two of my three dogs.

Her454
11-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Traci my neighbor uses a collar and wire on their yellow lab who is a climber. I works bitchin. Not sure what brand it is. They simply ran a wire around the perimeter of the property on the wall (it can be buried too I understand), the dog won't go within 10 feet of the wall any more. But they do work.
I went with the wire type. Have a Weimer that used to go shopping (female) while I was at work. Used to find stuff in the yard that wasn't mine. Final straw was when I came home, 'Harley' didn't greet me at the truck so I went to her. She rolled over to expose her ripped open belly (she'd slipped going over the chain link fence, you know, the kind with the sharp edges where the wire is twisted) and the ensuing vet bill of some $600+++ pushed me to the perimeter wire with battery collar. I buried the wire where it was obvious but the rest I just zip tied to the fencing (down low) and it works well. I have an acre lot so you'll need a lot more wire but it's easy! Check it out!
Oh 'ya Happy T-Day!
Carl
Specifc Brand that you know of? I saw alot of them online but not sure which one to go with.....

snake321
11-21-2007, 08:48 PM
http://www.thepetstoreonline.com/petsafe-underground-dog-fence.html
I run this fence with 5 levels and the rechargeable 9 volt battery. I have a shepherd that had 2 units on his collar as well as a remote control unit that didn't stop him if he wanted to go.I put this 5 level on 5 and he hasn't left the yard in a couple years. You can just run the wire on the ground until you get it where you want it and then bury it only a couple inches down, just enough for grass to grow over it. I let him out without the collar and he doesn't know the difference anymore.
It works so well that I leave him out all day even if I'm not home.

CampbellCarl
11-22-2007, 09:08 AM
The brand on mine is 'PetSafe' and on the controller shows a website of www.petsafe.net.
CC
Go with the stronger collar option. Harley would ignore the first one (powered by a watch battery) but when I upgraded to the 9 volt (smoke detector battery) she doesn't leave the yard!
Pretty simple, controller is in the garage (plugged in), two wires from the contoller, twisted together they counteract and do not send the signal. Twisted under the driveway, then at the fence, separate the two wires, one goes left, one goes right, all the way around the property then connect the two and your done.

73kona455
11-22-2007, 10:57 AM
The brand on mine is 'PetSafe' and on the controller shows a website of www.petsafe.net.
CC
Go with the stronger collar option. Harley would ignore the first one (powered by a watch battery) but when I upgraded to the 9 volt (smoke detector battery) she doesn't leave the yard!
Pretty simple, controller is in the garage (plugged in), two wires from the contoller, twisted together they counteract and do not send the signal. Twisted under the driveway, then at the fence, separate the two wires, one goes left, one goes right, all the way around the property then connect the two and your done.
we have a petsafe too.. it seems to work great.. just make sure the collar is real tight on their neck, or they do not get the full shock.. I also had to go to the stronger collar it uses a 9 volt battery.. i think it says for stubborn dogs...the collar that came with the fence only used watch batteries..
Home Depot usually has the fences and collars instock

Her454
11-22-2007, 11:29 AM
THANK YOU ! This is the type of info I am looking for....... Queensland is fairly small..but the Rott is stubborn and hard to stop. I would need to the stronger one for him. Thanks so much!:D
Happy Turkey Day everyone!

wolfie
11-22-2007, 12:15 PM
I had the Petsafe as well. Worked great to keep the dog in the yard. The problem was keeping the other animals and brats that like to tease the dog out of the yard.