PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an attorney?

dankirk
03-04-2006, 09:19 PM
My wife and I bought our 1st house about 10 months ago. It is a brand new house. We took the keys in September. When we bought the house, we signed agreements that the house is our primary residence, that we would not immediately sell it, and that we would occupy it. Everyone who bought in our division signed the same agreements. I thought the agreements were fair and I looked forward to having other homeowners for neighbors.
Well now both the houses on either side of us are occupied by renters. The buyers never lived in the houses. They were vacant for several months, and I began to worry. About 2 months ago one family of renters moved into one of the houses, and today another family of renters moved into the house on the other side.
I am pissed. Do I have any recourse? Should I contact a Real Estate attorney? Am I a snob for being upset about having renters for neighbors?

H20 Toie
03-04-2006, 09:23 PM
My wife and I bought our 1st house about 10 months ago. It is a brand new house. We took the keys in September. When we bought the house, we signed agreements that the house is our primary residence, that we would not immediately sell it, and that we would occupy it. Everyone who bought in our division signed the same agreements. I thought the agreements were fair and I looked forward to having other homeowners for neighbors.
Well now both the houses on either side of us are occupied by renters. The buyers never lived in the houses. They were vacant for several months, and I began to worry. About 2 months ago one family of renters moved into one of the houses, and today another family of renters moved into the house on the other side.
I am pissed. Do I have any recourse? Should I contact a Real Estate attorney? Am I a snob for being upset about having renters for neighbors?
The agreement was probably with your lender not the builder.
but even if it was unless there is a homeowners ass you can't do much.

marty722
03-04-2006, 09:24 PM
good neighbors enjoy them. Your going to spend alot of $$$ fighting and your not going to get anything out of it. I went through the samething a few years back....

ColeTR2
03-04-2006, 09:25 PM
I'd put up a for sale by owner sign in front of your house, and see if you get a call from anyone.

Flying Tiger
03-04-2006, 09:28 PM
You do a search and find who their lender is, then:
Report the property.
Then the lender will juice up the owners %.
Also, you can make sure the property owner reports the rental income by ratting them out to the IRS.
That's how we harass them around here.

ROZ
03-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Sell or rent?
According to the IRS, a person has to live in a home 2 out of 5 years to not be income property asset.... it doesn't say when the 2 years need to be.. not consecutive either..
I look at it this way... Provided the renters are good and the houses are kept up, karma will be in your favor if you "suck it up"... You said this is your 1st home. It will likely not be your last. Down the road you may decide to rent out a residence when you move up to a biger and better home. It would be nice to not have pissed neighbors to work with..
Also, rentals won't do much devaluation if at all. A surplus in your neighborhood will...
I don't have rental property, but would like to have one or two some day...

BadKachina
03-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Are the renters bad people because they rent? My neighbor is an ass and he owns his house. They could be nice people, we live close to Luke AFB, alot of pilots rent houses in this neighborhood for a couple of years at a time because they don't know when they will have to move again.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-04-2006, 09:54 PM
(shaking my head)
Big brother is your neighbor.
I know, you feel that renters don't take care of the residence like homeowners would and they will ultimately bring your property value down, but come on! You're thinking about filing suit over this?

haulina29
03-04-2006, 10:51 PM
The agrement has nothing to do with the lender its with the builder its common in these times to sign a contract like mentioned with the buyer to keep investors out . I do think its bullshit . After your home closes the lender could careless who lives in it if the payments are made . Before it closes thats a different story .

bigq
03-04-2006, 11:04 PM
You sir are a snob. I am renting right now and take good care of the house I am in. I have seen home owners move into newhomes and the place goes to hell.

boater012
03-04-2006, 11:12 PM
What you signed was an agreement from your lender because they get a higher interest rate for income property than they for an owner/occupy situation like yourself! how do you know they arent already paying that higher interest rate already??? and frankly what does it matter?? Renters bring up property values nine times out of ten because they bring a younger crowd into a neghborhood and they are the next generation to be able to buy in you neighborhood. Well where are you gonna buy a house when you've been renting for ten years?? well probably the neighorhood where you've been living so that you dont have to go through the hassle of changing your kids schools, and you wont have a far move you knowte neighborhood. You know wherethe stores are, you know where the liqour store is, your kids already know the way home and its an easier transition for the whole family! my whole family bought houses within a few blocks of where they rented there first house!
I mean I get along with everybody I am the neighbor that mows my one neighbors yard for him when hes out of town! Ive only met him in the last two months but he was cordial and I offered to do it one day when it was getting thick. He was ragged looking in the driveway complaining about all the traveling hes been doing lately and his newborn son is keeping him up nights. Im a renter! my neighbor on the other side (an owner) is always making trouble over stupid crap that no one else cares about. Like the fact that I drive a lifted diesel 4x4 fourdoor and when streetsweeping day comes I have to park in front of his house. Rather than a block away where the next spot big enough to fit my truck is located. He comes over and makes a fuss every time I do it. But rather than coming over and asking me politely to not do it because im messing up his view or something or hes uncomfortable driving in the driveway with it there orsomething valid!! he leaves a two page letter on my truck! short little bastard couldnt even reach my windshield wiper. He stuck it in the crack of the drivers door and then taped it to the door of my truck! now that my friends is funny!!!
Now heres a scenario for you! a guy like me that pays my rent, my bills and car payments is driving property values down??? but a guy like you that the realtors will warn people about if they are buying the house next door to and IM driving down property values???? my neighbor 5 doors down is an even bigger ass! I was talking to the home owners next to them the other day because their new truck was stuck halfway out it in the street! well it was an f-150 with the fuel cut-off switch in the passengers kick panel. I asked him if drove up on the curb when he pulled in because his wife parked in the middle of a two car driveway. He said yes so I checked and he had kicked the inertia switch. which killed the fuel pump. Now this guy would've paid for a tow to the dealership and probably an hour at the dealership in shop time to tell him he'd tripped the inertia switch and it was fixed. say $200.00 for the hell of it. well I had it running in 3 minutes and he did'nt even have to call the towtruck! Well guess what his neighbor came over in the 5 minutes he was in the street half way to complain about it! The guy told me that the neighbors came over when he was looking to buy it and told him about the grouch next door, that could'nt keep his nose in his own business.
He said the realtor told him he could getaway with offering less for the house when a bad neighbor is next door! so you see what the truth of the matter is is that you my friend are driving down the property value because you are there and people know you cant keep your nose where it belongs.
So heres what I say: go spend an hour with your wife and bake some apple pies and go meet your new neighbors! and not it let it bother you what the people that are In fact bringng UP YOUR property values. you might surprise yourself at how much less stress free your life is when you're not worrying about what everyone else in the neighborhood is doing. and you can relax when you get home. Instead of standing in your driveway for twenty minutes every thursday and calling the police about a big truck blocking your view! I live here too and you dont own the damn street nor do I pretty soon the cops even know who you are because you have them on speed dial. and you know what im noticing its taking them longer to respond every time he calls them! :yuk:
So not only is it stupid to care what the neighbors that own the place next door are doing (Unless they are building a meth lab) its endangering youre families lives because every time you call the cops the longer it takes them to respond to your house! Ive got a suggestion for you if have an emergency. Dont call the cops from your home phone! Use the neighbors phone! If you havent alienated them at that point and they hid when they saw you coming to the door. :skull:
What is it with people that whine to their lawyer every time someone does soemthing they dont think is normal in their little worlds?? I mean really people! THIS is what you worry about??? I mean come on YOU should be worried about the boy I see youre wife with every time your not around!!! I know its not your'e son because i've never seen a woman kiss her son like that! So you see all in all even you would be happier at home in the long run! If you were'nt worried about the neighbors! And paid more attention to the beautiful woman that you married and vowed to love forever! You wanna know something else?? I was that kid who was screwing some other guys wife when I was 17!!! She was my buddies next door neighbor and she was smokin hott! Her husband was just like you! Save yourself alot of grief and move on!!!!! :rolleyes:
Im going to go give my neaighbor next door that bitches all the time a beer and try to call it a treuse on my truck! Hes been over there for four and a half hours trying to do his own brakes! If hes cool ill show him how to do the brakes and if he doesnt understand what im saying ill do them for him and let him watch me so hell know for next time! You might even learn something from all of this after all!!! You see im not uneducated just because I drive a big truck!!! As doctor laura would say now: GO DO THE RIGHT THING!
MY apologies for extra the long post! rant officialy over!! whew that felt good!!
David Baker! (the guy with the big brown truck)

boater012
03-04-2006, 11:28 PM
So you call the irs and report someone and flag an audit for that person???????????? What the hell is this country coming too??? you call the bank and tell the bank they are renting and make them pay more money????? what the hell for??? because YOU arent making the money??? YOU are worse than the ass that started this!!!!! You my friend are the reason why people leave california!!!

C-2
03-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Uhhhhh......I think the OP (original poster for the Internet impaired) should clarify who his agreement was/is with before we start arguing about right and wrong.
Geesh, can't a brutha get a break during the winter months? :220v: :220v:

Red Horse
03-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Get an attorney??!! WTF. You have a house you have a right to do with what you want within limits of the law and HOAs. You neighbor has the same rights. He chose to rent his out. If you dont like it, move. It is a free country.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-05-2006, 07:00 AM
C-2. There is no rest for the wicked. Get used to it :D

dankirk
03-05-2006, 07:38 AM
The agreement was with the builder, not the lender. As haulina29 stated above, it is there to keep investors out, at least initially. It is also used as a selling point for the community. Is it too much to ask for parties to live up to terms that they agreed to in a contract? Why have contracts at all if they aren't worth the paper that they are written on?

topless
03-05-2006, 08:22 AM
C-2, I have a renters question for you but won't post it here since I am a low life renter who is bringing property values down. I'll pm you tomorrow.

ROZ
03-05-2006, 09:34 AM
I also look at it as someone providing housing for a family that otherwise cannot afford to live in a new home.. ie. can't buy due to saving, credit, or other issues.. The "owner" isn't making a profit, only equiy..
I think you're mad because you have tenants living beside you. I have a renter 2 door down from me. Their house looks better than my neighbor's home that is barely following the HOA's guidelines.. No complaints here, though...

riverroyal
03-05-2006, 09:42 AM
I am pissed. Do I have any recourse? Should I contact a Real Estate attorney? Am I a snob for being upset about having renters for neighbors?was with the builder,last couple years houses were sellin so fast investers were turning them in a year,even after paying taxes they did well.So builders started contracts like this to stop investers and get real buyers in.The builders were getting a bad rep for selling out to investers and the actual "real" owners were pissed....so read your contract,and yes,if you feel,and can prove,its hurt your value then get a lawyer to go after the builder for not enforcing their own contracts.This has happened all over my hood,the builder didnt have this contract,there was 800 people for 80 homes,50% went to investers,rentals everywhere.The builder now has the contract

ROZ
03-05-2006, 09:47 AM
all over my hood
Your hood sucks... white trash, cars parked on lawns, tractor trailers parked in fromnt of homes, fire pit in the front yard, and eazy e playing on the 64 impala turning 3-wheel motion from street to street.. Yep , you gotz it bad.. lol... :D

riverroyal
03-05-2006, 09:51 AM
I wasnt complaning,I like it here.Ive had some great renters,better than some owners,rent is 2500$ plus here!Crazy,we thought about renting this one,but my wife cant live with the idea of someone in this house.You still hung over from thursday?

ROZ
03-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Funny, they only give going away parties for peeps who get fired! :D
Been too busy to drink... going to line up drinks at zipandzacs next week though :cool:

ROZ
03-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Oh, grab yor skate and meet me at toby's pool :D

riverroyal
Been too busy to drink... going to line up drinks at zipandzacs next week though :cool:
let me know what night,,

riverroyal
Oh, grab yor skate and meet me at toby's pool :D
lets go,,,fock he is rich

JB in so cal
03-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Being as I'm the man of the house, I'm gonna tell my wife I'm going out that night, so let me know when. If she doesn't like it; tough!
Note to self: Make sure this place is not a gay bar. :rolleyes:

riverroyal
03-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Being as I'm the man of the house, I'm gonna tell my wife I'm going out that night, so let me know when. If she doesn't like it; tough!
you wife will be 3000 miles away

ROZ
03-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Toby's pool is a nice strip and finish gunnite right now.... I think it could be skated... There's about 6"of water at the botom of the not so deep end.. We can use some of those fluffy thick expensive bathroom towels of his to soak it up with.. no worries. Them rich guys have a ton of monogramed towels..

ROZ
03-05-2006, 10:08 AM
you wife will be 3000 miles away
Damn.. she controls his azz from 3k miles away? damn...

riverroyal
03-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Toby's pool is a nice strip and finish gunnite right now.... I think it could be skated... There's about 6"of water at the botom of the not so deep end.. We can use some of those fluffy thick expensive bathroom towels of his to soak it up with.. no worries. Them rich guys have a ton of monogramed towels..
today and look,,life styles of the rich and,,,,,,,,

ROZ
03-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Alomst forgot..
It's for sale, too :D

Sanger Pete
03-05-2006, 11:58 AM
I don't think you can force someone to enforce the terms of a contract with someone else--neighbor forcing builder to enforce contract with the investor. On the other hand, if the contract was between the builder as a representative of a homeowners association and the investor-owner, then the association may have some recourse. My guess is that the contract was really a marketing tool to satisfy prospective owner-occupants that there would be no renters in the subdivision.

riverroyal
03-05-2006, 12:11 PM
that ive seen,through my wifes homebuilding employer,says they can legally take the house back,,has this ever happened,who knows

Waist Deep
03-05-2006, 04:11 PM
If you've got extra money sitting around and dont want to give it to someone who needs it, call an attorney. after being in business and getting sued as well as being the person who sues, I found it to be better to work it out in person, the way it used to be.

cosal
03-05-2006, 11:20 PM
So you call the irs and report someone and flag an audit for that person???????????? What the hell is this country coming too??? you call the bank and tell the bank they are renting and make them pay more money????? what the hell for??? because YOU arent making the money??? YOU are worse than the ass that started this!!!!! You my friend are the reason why people leave california!!!
Im with you, what the hell is this country coming too....WAAAAAAA people rent next door to me, WAAAAAAA Im better then them and I dont want those trashy renters living next too me WAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Gimmie a F'n break

lucky
03-06-2006, 06:52 AM
hell -- just buy a jet and stick it out in front of your house ... and a plastic cover :)