PDA

View Full Version : jet TT headers...

Riverat84
11-24-2007, 03:06 PM
i was looking at your site, and found many TT headers...the indmar ones and the lightning ones...i have a BBF, in an '18 eliminator bubble deck jet... what would be your best headers for me to go thru transom? i dont care if they are tubular, or modular it doesnt matter IMO. i am thinking of converting from the OT bassetts that i have. which ones would you reccommend? looking for water-jacketed or the equivelant. which ever ones are warm to the touch. not burning. thank you!
Reid

Dana Marine Products
11-25-2007, 10:38 AM
There are several options on a 460 Ford. You can start with a simple, entry level log-style system. Log manifolds are not considered performance oriented, but they'll get the job done. They're fully water jacketed, they're very safe to run (very reliable against water leaks), and they're reasonably priced.
If performance is your goal, I would steer away from logs and start looking into a center rise system. The term "center rise" can apply to tube style headers or manifolds. Typically manifolds will be less expensive compared to fully water jacketed tube headers.
The problem you run into when discussing tube headers is the material in which they are constructed. There are a couple of different tube headers on the market that are constructed of all steel, and half stainless/half steel. I would suggest staying away from anything that is constructed with steel. I know it seems to be common sense that you wouldn't want steel tubes being submerged in water, but some people don't think about longevity when purchasing an exhaust system. My theory on the subject is that although performance gains are important, I want to use an exhaust system that will be reliable and that I won't have to replace in 2-3 years.
The unfortunate problem is that when an exhaust system fails, it is not uncommon to cause additional engine troubles possibly including engine failure.
An all stainless steel tube header seems to be a logical choice for the ultimate in performance and longevity. An all stainless steel tube header would certainly be non-corrosive and most tube headers have great exhaust flow ability. Even with the right materials and flow charactoristics in place, someone very qualified still has to bend and weld the double wall headers together properly for them to have a long trouble-free life.
Once you meet the proper criteria on a set of all stainless tube headers, you can get your check book ready, because a good set of SS headers will run you anywhere from 4000-6000 dollars.
Don't be fooled by a low dollar entry level steel header system. Will they flow exhaust well? ABSOLUTLEY, but that's only a small fraction of an exhaust systems job. I only stress this scenario because I have at least 2 people a month who come in to buy an exhaust system because of a cracked and leaking sub-standard tube header.
Getting on to center rise manifolds. Unfortunately, there is a very limited selection on high quality exhaust manifolds for 460 Ford. Exhaust manifold systems are no different than tube headers. Some are good, and some are not. What is nice, is that there are adapter plates available to convert a BB Chevrolet exhaust manifold to a 460 Ford.
This leads to my suggestion, there's only a couple of exhaust manifold systems on the market that I would consider for my own projects. Gil manifolds flow very well and are very high quality. But if I had the choice, I would select the Dana Marine system and here's why.....
The Dana Marine exhaust system was developed at a much later date compared to all other manifold systems being sold in the marine industry. Most manifold systems have been the same for over 18-25 years. Six years ago when we set out to develop an exhaust system, we were not interested in doing what most companies do, just copy someone elses, we wanted to develope an exhaust system that had all the right features to make it durable, long lasting, reliable, cosmitically attractive, and functional.
Because we've used most of the exhaust systems on the market, we were able to recognize the pros and cons of the different systems. Using this baseline information we began assembling the DMP exhaust system.
The DMP exhaust system was engineered by Dana Marine with the help of air flow engineer. When looking at a DMP exhaust system, you'll find features that no other exhaust system has. Our manifolds have been put to the test against both major brands of tube headers, and our manifolds have made more HP and torque. (independent testing performed by Full Throttle Marine). Being a manifold system that developes more horsepower than most tube headers, DMP exhaust offers maximum power while maintaining key features that deliver reliability.
Last but not least - price is always a factor. DMP exhaust systems are significantly cheaper than an all stainless steel tube header. You'll get the power, the looks, the reliability, and the security of a limited LIFETIME warranty for about half of what a tube header system cost.
We offer several riser options to suit a variety of applications. You can give me a call to discuss a specific system that will work for your application.
951-279-5005
Sorry for the long post. I hope the above information has helped in selecting a direction for your project.

Smitty19
11-28-2007, 10:18 PM
do you make a big tube header 2 1/4 + for 1100 hp bbc in the jacketed tru transom and how much?

Dana Marine Products
11-29-2007, 07:06 AM
I don't sell double wall jacketed tube headers.
The only type of tube headers I sell are single wall Bassetts. Bassett does manufacturer a thru transom single wall header that is water injected at the primaries and full water at the exhaust tip location. These will perform good and be significantly quieter than over transom headers. Muffler options are also available if you want the boat to be even quieter.
If you're after a set set of 2 1/4" tube double wall jacketed headers, I would suggest using CMI headers. They will have to fabricate the tail pipes to fit your boat. CMI is the only double wall jacketed tube style header I suggest because of the superior quality compared to others.
A double wall jacketed header will run warm to the touch compared to a water injected single wall header that will still be very hot. Single wall headers are not designed for engines under hatch covers, open engine applications only.

Smitty19
11-29-2007, 08:56 PM
so the lighting headers don't hold up? are they using steel?

Dana Marine Products
11-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Using the detailed info that is posted you'll need to do the research on specific name brands. Although I don't sell CMI, I do suggest them because I'm aware of their manufacturing process, and the quality of their product.
The way I see it, Mercruiser spends millions of dollars a year in R&D and they choose CMI for several good reasons.
I generally don't ever make product suggestions unless I've personally used a specific product (more than once) and I can track it's longevity and durability.
Most double wall header systems have a starting price around $1800.00 (steel construction), and in my book, I find it hard to know I'll be replacing that $1800.00 system in 2-3 years.
One big problem is that once the 2-3 year marker is reached you'd never know when it was going to fail, it's not if, it's when. As previously stated, If you develope an internal leak, hopefully you don't lose a motor along with a failed exhaust.

Smitty19
11-30-2007, 09:07 AM
thanks for the information