PDA

View Full Version : Very Sobering experience, my first, and LAST DUI, BOATCOP, words of wisdom sir?

mbroome
11-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Went outlast night with two friends last night to celebrate my birthday friday and get away from the house for awhile, (mother in law is here for two weeks). Needless to say I got carried away. Got pulled over for a careless lane change @ 1:30 am, ten minutes from the house. Did the standard "abc"'s, walk nine steps up, nine back, stand on one leg , count to 30, bla bla bla. Next thing I knew I was in cuffs off to the rankin county jail. They impounded my truck. Needless to say the wife and boss showed up, bonded me out. My boss loaned me the cash to get my truck from the impound. I swear to god this taught me a lesson and opened my eyes. I and 39 yrs old, and am DONE with any kind of alchohol, PERIOD. Limit in MS is .08 and I blew a .15 . Thank god that policeman pulled me over before i hurt one of you guys or myself. Needless to say this is gonna be a very expensive lesson. Can anyone give me some advice? thanks for letting me vent, you guys can now unload on me
*VERY ASHAMED*

ULTRA26 # 1
11-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Went outlast night with two friends last night to celebrate my birthday friday and get away from the house for awhile, (mother in law is here for two weeks). Needless to say I got carried away. Got pulled over for a careless lane change @ 1:30 am, ten minutes from the house. Did the standard "abc"'s, walk nine steps up, nine back, stand on one leg , count to 30, bla bla bla. Next thing I knew I was in cuffs off to the rankin county jail. They impounded my truck. Needless to say the wife and boss showed up, bonded me out. My boss loaned me the cash to get my truck from the impound. I swear to god this taught me a lesson and opened my eyes. I and 39 yrs old, and am DONE with any kind of alchohol, PERIOD. Limit in MS is .08 and I blew a .15 . Thank god that policeman pulled me over before i hurt one of you guys or myself. Needless to say this is gonna be a very expensive lesson. Can anyone give me some advice? thanks for letting me vent, you guys can now unload on me
*VERY ASHAMED*
If you are really serious about the comments above, no matter what this deal costs you, I would consider it well worth it.
Good luck in the future. :)

whiteworks
11-25-2007, 11:42 AM
DUMBASS! you got lucky.

RiverOtter
11-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Needless to say the wife and boss showed up, bonded me out.
I thought you ment your wife and MIL :idea:

fatboy95
11-25-2007, 11:49 AM
The screwing you just got isn't worth half the screwing you are going to get. Bet you would be somewhat pissed if one of your family was killed by a drunk driver. The cost of a cab these days is very cheap compared to a lifetime of guilt. You happen to be somewhat lucky.

Cheap Thrills
11-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Of course you know the chances of being ordered to go through an alcohol and substance abuse evaluation is very high. You might as well be ready to be diagnosed as a full blown alcoholic regardless of how much/little you drink, be ready to play the money game. Also the community service fees, court cost, fines, insurance, driving school and anything else they decide to throw at you.
Go ahead and enroll in some sort of support group now, because when they're finished giving you the high dry one in the pooper while your bent over their barrel, you're gonna need one.
T.

RiverToysJas
11-25-2007, 11:56 AM
:idea: My advice is to not make careless lane changes while drving drunk.
RTJas :D

Boatcop
11-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I think you'll be gaining wisdom as the process unfolds. Hopefully the biggest lesson will be in regards to designated drivers.
A blanket "DONE is with any kind of alchohol, PERIOD" may be a little unrealistic. There are millions of people who drink alcohol responsibly and never have a DUI or other problems. You have to examine your own situation and determine if this was just an isolated mistake, or whether this is just the first time you've been caught, after many such episodes.
Only you can determine that.
The best advice I can give you is to get a GOOD DUI attorney and see what options you have. It may cost you more money now to fight this tooth and nail, but could be cheaper in the long run, what with increased insurance costs and other problems with a DUI conviction on your record.
For me, it isn't so much seeing someone convicted and punished for DUI, but in seeing them realize the folly of such actions and changing their habits and viewpoints, so it never happens again.
Good Luck to you.

Tom Brown
11-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Happy birthday.

Mattman
11-25-2007, 12:00 PM
DUMBASS! you got lucky.
I will second that! Now you need to man up, play the game and go through the motions the court will put you through. In California you would spend somewhere between $12 to $15k by the time all is said and done. Expect attorney fees, court fees, fine, restricted license to and from work/school, certain amount of hours at AA and/or community service to say the least. Again, you have it easy by paying with cash and personal time. I've investigated hundreds of crashes where people have paid with their lives!

FOXMAN
11-25-2007, 12:08 PM
The officer had just cause to pull you over.. Dont let a lawyer talk you into thinking he is going to get you off the hook. I have a coworker that dodged that bullet twice.. But both times the cops never caught him behind the wheel..He was very lucky. Also have a friend that did get convicted because the arresting officer LIED in court..

ratso
11-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Words of Wisdom? Yeah, don't post this stuff on ***boat because all the self righteous people that have never made any mistakes in their entire lives are gonna come on here and bash you. ;)

Kachina26
11-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Happy birthday.
Tom Brown, gettin' it back on topic and shit.....

Outnumbered
11-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Words of Wisdom? Yeah, don't post this stuff on ***boat because all the self righteous people that have never made any mistakes in their entire lives are gonna come on here and bash you. ;)
That is kind of what I was thinking. If the guy is sincere about his comments than I think he realizes that he f.ucked up and does not need anyone to point it out.
I quit drinking and driving many years ago after I got pulled over in the parking lot at Lake Mead dropping a trailer in the water for the designated driver. The cop was cool and verified that the DD was indeed sober in the boat and that I was only backing a trailer in and let me go. That was a lesson that I never forgot and have not driven drunk since.
I just spent a few days with the MIL and I feel his pain. However, he made a dumb move and realizes it. The deed is done, no need to bust his balls. He will get plenty of that in the form of legal fees, fines, and insurance costs.
I hope he is sincere.

thatguy
11-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Mine was virtually identical to yours. I was 40. Blew a .13.
Total cost around 16K over 3 years.
Plus I got stomped at the scene for smarting off to the LEO.
I still drink moderately. But WILL NOT drink and drive, or operate the boats over 2 beers. Thats all I put in the cooler.
Also feel very lucky that I did not cause an accident or hurt anybody.
Tommy

Wicky
11-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Couldn't have said it better!!
0.15...well....that's not all about the money.

Jbb
11-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Bingo!...

Nord
11-25-2007, 01:25 PM
:D

jbone
11-25-2007, 01:35 PM
It sounds like you are where I was on Aug 25, 2004. I was also 39. A night I'll never forget. Very humbling and humiliating to say the least. I stopped drinking altogether for about 2 years. Then I began drinking very little in social gatherings, and never, ever do I drive. Even if I think I'm ok. I definatley have not been drunk since that date.
Assuming you are likely to be convicted, think ahead about your auto ins.
Some companies will drop you at renewal time if you have a dui. Other reputable companies don't accept dui's, but won't drop exhisting members.
Prior to my conviction, I found out my policy would not be renewed. I quickly called AAA and they accepted me knowing about the dui, but I hadn't been convicted yet. Had I waited, I would have been forced to pay through the arse for a fly by night operation.
As is, my ins went up to 1786 for the year for me and wife with 3 cars.
Here in Cali, you have to attend a 8-10 week ( I forget) dui program that cost me about 1800 bucks. If you enroll prior to your conviction, the judge may reduce some of your penalties because it shows you are accepting responsibility. Also, when I went to court, I plead guilty. All in all, I paid about 5k in court fines and program fees. This does not count the increase in ins.

hoolign
11-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Quit drinking..after getting a DUI?? That makes no sence! You dont have a licence now ..now is when you can really get your pisser on not have to worry about it! I'm drinkin to that!!..grab a jug and lets start slammin em back!

NashvilleBound
11-25-2007, 02:02 PM
As much as I thought I would never be saying this, I agree with Alan here.... (GASP) :D :D Its pretty much what I would have posted......
I think you'll be gaining wisdom as the process unfolds. Hopefully the biggest lesson will be in regards to designated drivers.
A blanket "DONE is with any kind of alchohol, PERIOD" may be a little unrealistic. There are millions of people who drink alcohol responsibly and never have a DUI or other problems. You have to examine your own situation and determine if this was just an isolated mistake, or whether this is just the first time you've been caught, after many such episodes.
The best advice I can give you is to get a GOOD DUI attorney and see what options you have. It may cost you more money now to fight this tooth and nail, but could be cheaper in the long run, what with increased insurance costs and other problems with a DUI conviction on your record.
For me, it isn't so much seeing someone convicted and punished for DUI, but in seeing them realize the folly of such actions and changing their habits and viewpoints, so it never happens again.
Good Luck to you.

Lavey5150
11-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Quitter........

Sleeper CP
11-25-2007, 02:07 PM
:D If that's not the truth I don't know what is:) :)
Good Luck to you.
Boatcop, thanks for the realistic approach and view on that:) Maybe some of the selfrightous on here can learn something from your approach. :idea:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

mbroome
11-25-2007, 02:25 PM
thank you for the imput guys......I justed wanted to share my mistake so MAYBE someone will learn from it.

FOXMAN
11-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Quitter........
Yeah! What he said.. My mom didnt raise me to be a quitter.

jdf
11-25-2007, 03:53 PM
i have been down this rd . and it's not fun plus i have a cdl to keep ......so i don't drive a thing after 2 beer's

centerhill condor
11-25-2007, 03:58 PM
A blanket "DONE is with any kind of alchohol, PERIOD" may be a little unrealistic.
Rankin Co...well, hotty totty gosh all mighty...You're gonna live through this. I recommend getting a good atty and see if your good record can get you a plea down to reckless and school. As I recall, MHP gives out these charts with weight, BAC, and drinks per hour so that you can make an informed decision on your next birthday outing. Next time you get pulled over ask for one.
My Daddy told me 25 years ago...son, you go to jail in MS you stay in jail in MS! dude, you got lucky...people hit parked cars, drive through houses, and it aint pretty in court either!
Waylon and Willie wrote a song 'bout it.."aint no good chain gang".
If you had done this 20 years ago it'd be like it never happened now. DUI used to get you a ride home and a stern warning..now, fines, court dates, bond, atty fees, dui classes, increased insurance rates, etc...it never ends!
So, you're in MS...you gotta know somebody, right?
Hang in there..:)
CC

ULTRA26 # 1
11-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Rankin Co...well, hotty totty gosh all mighty...You're gonna live through this. I recommend getting a good atty and see if your good record can get you a plea down to reckless and school. As I recall, MHP gives out these charts with weight, BAC, and drinks per hour so that you can make an informed decision on your next birthday outing. Next time you get pulled over ask for one.
My Daddy told me 25 years ago...son, you go to jail in MS you stay in jail in MS! dude, you got lucky...people hit parked cars, drive through houses, and it aint pretty in court either!
Waylon and Willie wrote a song 'bout it.."aint no good chain gang".
If you had done this 20 years ago it'd be like it never happened now. DUI used to get you a ride home and a stern warning..now, fines, court dates, bond, atty fees, dui classes, increased insurance rates, etc...it never ends!
So, you're in MS...you gotta know somebody, right?
Hang in there..:)
CC
CC, It was actually duet with Johnny Cash and Waylon, and the song was written by Hal Bynum and Dave Kirby. Waylon and Lacy J Dalton did this song together when we played the San Jose County Fair.
Sorry for getting off topic.

3 daytona`s
11-25-2007, 05:28 PM
DUMBASS! you got lucky.
:mad:

3 daytona`s
11-25-2007, 05:33 PM
out of my mouth.How easy to judge,speaking of judges and attorneys most are drunk dicks and on Monday pass judgement on us evil villians to society.I personally know two Judges and several attorneys that should be in jail on DWI:idea:

centerhill condor
11-25-2007, 05:42 PM
out of my mouth.How easy to judge,speaking of judges and attorneys most are drunk dicks and on Monday pass judgement on us evil villians to society.I personally know two Judges and several attorneys that should be in jail on DWI:idea:
several years back...general sessions judge crashed, burned and died in a single car dui...hate it when that happens.
CC

ratso
11-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Same here... There are a lot out there enforcing laws that are worse than the ones breaking them...

ULTRA26 # 1
11-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Just curious. WTF do drunk judges or attorneys have to do with the starter of this thread blowin' a .15 and feeling remorse?

Havasu1986
11-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Just curious. WTF do drunk judges or attorneys have to do with the starter of this thread blowin' a .15 and feeling remorse?
Nothing...It's just a typical 3 daytona's reply. Never anything positive. :(

ULTRA26 # 1
11-25-2007, 05:51 PM

3 daytona`s
11-25-2007, 05:56 PM
I must have misread some of the replys sorry, and numerous Judges and Attorneys are the worst drunks alive.May I suggest something? please return to the political thread it is interesting to watch you get chewed up by people who know what they are talking about.:)

3 daytona`s
11-25-2007, 06:00 PM
I had just posted a positive post for Ultra to go over and get back on the Political Thread. Sorry you are misunderstanding.Have a great Holiday season Havasu :)

ULTRA26 # 1
11-25-2007, 06:01 PM
I must have misread some of the replys sorry, and numerous Judges and Attorneys are the worst drunks alive.May I suggest something? please return to the political thread it is interesting to watch you get chewed up by people who know what they are talking about.:)
I asked a simple question and you become an asshole. Again, what do numerous drunk judges and attorneys have to do with this guy getting popped?
Are we drinking again? A little early to be this angry isn't it?

3 daytona`s
11-25-2007, 06:04 PM
I asked a simple question and you become as asshole. Again, what do numerous drunk judges and attorneys have to do with this guy getting popped?
Are we drinking again? A little early to be this angry.
I will respond otherwise,feel best :idea:

ULTRA26 # 1
11-25-2007, 06:07 PM
I will respond otherwise,feel best :idea:
Sorry you didn't care for my response. I didn't like yours either, obviously.

3 daytona`s
11-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Sorry you didn't care for my response. I didn't like yours either, obviously.
thought we were on to the next part,and I was going to answer your question about the squeaky clean legal system we have starting at the bottom and then working our way up. I understand the stress of political issues consume your life and attention so,no big deal.Merry Christmas Ultra,it`s a wonderful life.:)

ULTRA26 # 1
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
thought we were on to the next part,and I was going to answer your question about the squeaky clean legal system we have starting at the bottom and then working our way up. I understand the stress of political issues consume your life and attention so,no big deal.Merry Christmas Ultra,it`s a wonderful life.:)
Yes it is.
I'm aware that the there are way too many drunk judges and cops. I think all of us are. Politics and the BS that is going on in the world right now is stressful. My life is good, however.
For some reason your comment hit me wrong. If it was meant differently than it came across, I apologize for my response.
Truce :) :)

BoatPI
11-25-2007, 08:20 PM
COngrats on two things.
1. You admit that this was a major judgement screw up that could have killed someone.
2. That you have a problem and are seeking to correct it.
I wish you the best, and BTW it hurts alot to get run down by a DUI, I know personally how much it hurts. Almost ended my career before it began.

3 daytona`s
11-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Yes it is.
I'm aware that the there are way too many drunk judges and cops. I think all of us are. Politics and the BS that is going on in the world right now is stressful. My life is good, however.
For some reason your comment hit me wrong. If it was meant differently than it came across, I apologize for my response.
Truce :) :)
I do thank you,I have had several experiences with friends and watched the "SYSTEM" work. I apologize also sir =TRUCE now back to the real deal:) WEST VIRGINIA early line -3 I think they are world beaters

RVRBUM2
11-25-2007, 09:29 PM
unfortunatly i have been down this road also and did fork out the 5 grand for a suposed good dui attorney what he told me was we should take the deal the DA threw at us because if it did go to a jury trail they are gong to look at 2 issues were you driving and were you over a .08 BAC , sometimes it is just cheaper to take yer licks and forget about a attorney all we can do is live and learn i guess just my 2 cents for what its worth

3queens
11-25-2007, 10:09 PM
lucky this time

C-2
11-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Quitting drinking is pretty easy, it’s the letting go that’s tough (letting go of the barriers and justifications as to why you shouldn’t, or can’t stop drinking).
Ever heard of the Serenity Prayer? If you haven’t, you’re gonna at your upcoming meetings ;) To most people and those it doesn’t touch, the prayer doesn’t make any sense and is something to ridicule.
To others (when they are ready to listen), it makes all the sense in the world. Its message is pretty simple – some people, for reasons beyond their control, can’t drink.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Personally, I’m cool with that. Good luck. :)

snake321
11-26-2007, 06:04 AM
unfortunatly i have been down this road also and did fork out the 5 grand for a suposed good dui attorney what he told me was we should take the deal the DA threw at us because if it did go to a jury trail they are gong to look at 2 issues were you driving and were you over a .08 BAC , sometimes it is just cheaper to take yer licks and forget about a attorney all we can do is live and learn i guess just my 2 cents for what its worth
This is the best advice yet. I have more dwi experience than all of you put together. Your first time, you're already guilty because you blew the breathalizer.Hiring an attorney is just a waste of money for a first timer. You are eligible for a program and you will get it. Pay the fine, go to classes, sometimes your license doesn't even get suspended.Paying a lawyer to hold your hand for the first offense is throwing money away. Save it for your insurance premiums.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Quitting drinking is pretty easy, it’s the letting go that’s tough (letting go of the barriers and justifications as to why you shouldn’t, or can’t stop drinking).
Ever heard of the Serenity Prayer? If you haven’t, you’re gonna at your upcoming meetings ;) To most people and those it doesn’t touch, the prayer doesn’t make any sense and is something to ridicule.
To others (when they are ready to listen), it makes all the sense in the world. Its message is pretty simple – some people, for reasons beyond their control, can’t drink.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Personally, I’m cool with that. Good luck. :)
Good post

hoolign
11-26-2007, 07:54 AM
a positive and supported brother is exactly what he is looking for right now, in his "time-of-need" !!! and we thank you for stepping up to that task !!! :jawdrop: "solid-performance" :D
I'm all about peoples helping peoples ..but I'm not about to feel sorry for a near 40 year old person that obvously knew that drinking and driving may cause a problem by either hurting some innocent person or... risking a DUI. If he was 18 I could see he was just nieve and had to grow up a bit. But we're talking about a grown adult here that is fully aware of reprocussions and still made a piss poor decision to be above societies laws and acceptable conduct.
We all make mistakes in various forms and suffer various degrees of reprocussion... but anyone that is in this age bracket and does this..should have crack upside the head. It's plain stupidity and does not deserve symapthy.
my .02..( well .04 with the current exchange rate :D)

ratso
11-26-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm all about peoples helping peoples ..but I'm not about to feel sorry for a near 40 year old person that obvously knew that drinking and driving may cause a problem by either hurting some innocent person or... risking a DUI. If he was 18 I could see he was just nieve and had to grow up a bit. But we're talking about a grown adult here that is fully aware of reprocussions and still made a piss poor decision to be above societies laws and acceptable conduct.
We all make mistakes in various forms and suffer various degrees of reprocussion... but anyone that is in this age bracket and does this..should have crack upside the head. It's plain stupidity and does not deserve symapthy.
Whatever Hooli... you can't even keep your truck on the road sober...:D

Jbb
11-26-2007, 08:06 AM

hoolign
11-26-2007, 08:12 AM
LMAO ..... fućker:D

hoolign
11-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Are you 98.5 % mad??? LMFAO!!

thatguy
11-26-2007, 08:18 AM
This is the best advice yet. I have more dwi experience than all of you put together. Your first time, you're already guilty because you blew the breathalizer.Hiring an attorney is just a waste of money for a first timer. You are eligible for a program and you will get it. Pay the fine, go to classes, sometimes your license doesn't even get suspended.Paying a lawyer to hold your hand for the first offense is throwing money away. Save it for your insurance premiums.
Exactly. You blew a .15. Be glad it wasn't higher. Twice the limit raises the bar.
Attorney is a complete waste of money in your case, especially on first offense.
When I went to court the DA was in the Foyer before court with about 30 or so case files for that session. Everyone there on first DUI (maybe 15-20 of us) got offered the same deal (minimums) before court unless there was a wreck or injury.
Several people were there for a second hearing after pleading not guilty. Guess what? Judge gave them exactly the same deal. All they did was drag out the process, cost more, and missed more work for court dates.
If there was a wreck, or injury, you bet I'd get a lawyer. But I agree with the above post.
Tommy

soupersonic
11-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Thats gonna leave a mark !! :D

thatguy
11-26-2007, 08:21 AM
OUCH!....Oh well, get it while you can bitch!!! :D You know it wont last!:eek: :D
Tommy

hoolign
11-26-2007, 08:34 AM
OUCH!....Oh well, get it while you can bitch!!! :D You know it wont last!:eek: :D
Tommy
LOL ..sooner it drops back down the better ..I bought half a years wages worth of USD :D Bitch lol :D

Jbb
11-26-2007, 08:44 AM
LOL ..sooner it drops back down the better ..I bought half a years wages worth of USD :D Bitch lol :D
300k.....:jawdrop:

hoolign
11-26-2007, 08:46 AM
300k.....:jawdrop:
lol ..no a bit less than that :D

superdave013
11-26-2007, 09:11 AM
anyone want to place odds on how long it takes this guy to get another one??
:devil:

RVRBUM2
11-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah Never Say Never I Did That And What Do You Know 4 Years Later I Got Number 2 Another Dumb Ass Decision On My Part This One Cost More Than A Fine And Insurance Hikes It Cost Me My Job Like I Siad Before Live And Learn I Guess Take Yer Lumps And Move On

hoolign
11-26-2007, 09:23 AM
How can you be so cruel? We need to be sympathetic and understanding here...help him when he's down..not start a betting pool! C'mon dave ..he's only 39 he's got alot of growing up to do..and he'll learn as he gets older ..
LMFAO!
13 months and he's in cuffs :D

topless
11-26-2007, 09:25 AM
:devil:I know a guy who got 3 in one year. He did jail time after his third and do you think he quit drinking and driving????? NO
I know here in California you have to do 4 months of alcohol classes and 8 AA meetings for the first offense blowing a .19 or lower. Anything above a .20 gets you 9 months of classes and 18 AA meetings. It goes up from there. I'm not sure what the fines are but everyone I know that got an attorney says it's a waste of time and money. Good luck and glad it was a lesson learned with no injuries.

topless
11-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Oh and it stays on your record for 10 years now. I heard they are trying to pass a law to where it stays on your record forever.

hoolign
11-26-2007, 09:28 AM
I know a guy who got 3 in one year. He did jail time after his third and do you think he quit drinking and driving????? NO
I know here in California you have to do 4 months of alcohol classes and 8 AA meetings for the first offense blowing a .19 or lower. Anything above a .20 gets you 9 months of classes and 18 AA meetings. It goes up from there. I'm not sure what the fines are but everyone I know that got an attorney says it's a waste of time and money. Good luck and glad it was a lesson learned with no injuries.
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer..but even so... I haven't vacuumed my keyboard again! :D :D

boatseller2
11-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Just some info for the masses.
Subject: New DUI Rules in Arizona
-The thresholds and punishments for first time DUI offenses are as follows (second time offenses are drastically worse):
Standard DUI: BAC over .08 (three drinks for most men and two drinks for most women)
Mandatory jail time of 10 days - No plea bargaining (second offense - 30 to 90 days)
Mandatory suspension of driver's license for 90 days (second offense - one year)
Mandatory installation of ignition interlock device in car for one year (Cost: $1,000 plus $100 per month)
Court fees - $1,500 (second offense - $3,000), points, increased insurance, attorney fees, etc.
Extreme DUI: BAC over .15
Mandatory jail time of 30 days - No plea bargaining (second offense - 60 to 120 days)
Mandatory suspension of driver's license for 90 days (second offense - one year)
Mandatory installation of ignition interlock device in car for one year (Cost: $1,000 plus $100 per month)
Mandatory alcohol monitoring - 30 days (second offense - 90 days plus 30 days of community service)
Mandatory vehicle impoundment - 30 days
Court fees - $2,500 (second offense - $5,000), points, increased insurance, attorney fees, etc.
Super Extreme DUI: BAC over 0.20
Mandatory jail time of 45 days - No plea bargaining (second offense - 180 days)
Mandatory installation of ignition interlock device in car for 18 to 24 months (Cost: $1,000 plus $100 per month)
Mandatory alcohol monitoring - 30 days (second offense - 90 days plus 30 days of community service)
Mandatory vehicle impoundment - 30 days
Probation - 0 to 1 year (second offense - 0 to 5 years)
Court fees - $3,000 (second offense - $6,000), points, increased insurance, attorney fees, etc.
Felony DUI - 0.08 or above but with a MINOR in the car less than 16 years old
Felony charge
Mandatory jail time of 30 days - No plea bargaining
Suspended driver's license for three years
Ignition interlock device - Installed in car for 18 months or possible loss of car ($1,000 plus $100 per month)
Fees (up to $150,000), points, increased insurance, attorney fees, etc.
Possible probation for up to 5 years
Note: If a person under 21 is pulled over and they have had ANY alcohol (even the day before they turn 21), they would be subject to the above rules plus will loose their drivers license for a minimum of two years with no plea bargain available and it will be on their record for 7 years.
The following is a chart for the BAC of a person after eating food:
Men 1 drinks 2 drinks 3 drinks 4 drinks
120 lbs 0.03 0.06 0.10 0.13
140 lbs 0.03 0.06 0.08 0.11
160 lbs 0.02 0.05 0.07 0.10
180 lbs 0.02 0.04 0.06 0.09
200 lbs 0.02 0.04 0.06 0.08
220 lbs 0.02 0.04 0.05 0.07
Women 1 drinks 2 drinks 3 drinks
100 lbs 0.05 0.09 0.14
120 lbs 0.04 0.08 0.12
140 lbs 0.03 0.07 0.10
160 lbs 0.03 0.06 0.09
180 lbs 0.03 0.05 0.08
200 lbs 0.02 0.05 0.07
220 lbs 0.02 0.04 0.07
Other facts:
This BAC is not affected by whether a person can handle alcohol. It is a chemical formula based on your blood content, not how you act.
A person can get a DUI with lower than 0.08 BAC if they fail the field sobriety test
The BAC is at it highest 2 hours after the last drink is taken. The BAC will not start going down until 2 hours after the last drink (i.e. stalling at the police station will probably not help).
The police officer said that they are starting to see a very high incidence of woman DUI after social lunches.
The most common infraction people are pulled over for, especially at night, is the wide left or right turn
When the police department has a DUI task force in place in an area, they will basically pull everyone over that is driving through the area (i.e. regardless of whether a driver did something wrong). Here is the advice from the DUI defense lawyer (besides don't drive even after you drink).
If you are ever pulled over and the officer asks you to get out of the car, there is a 90 to 95% chance you will be arrested unless you have had nothing to drink. The premise is he would not have asked you to get out of the car unless he suspected you were drinking or on drugs
Here are the guidelines the lawyer gave us in the event you have been drinking and are pulled over.
One to two drinks (200 pound male)
Politely say, "No, I do not know". Give the officer your DL, registration and proof of insurance.
If the officer then asks you to get out of the car, politely tell the officer that you do not want to answer any more questions or do a field sobriety test until you have talked with a lawyer.
The officer will probably get upset and ask you many other trick questions and comments. Stay polite and firm (you are protected by the constitution to not speak and you not speaking cannot be used against you in court).
The police officer will then handcuff you and take you to the police substation.
Three or more drinks
There is a 99% chance that you will probably be going to a police substation for a blood or breath test. It is almost impossible to pass the field sobriety test after drinking three or more drinks (again, you might still be below 0.08 BAC).
Politely decline to answer any questions including "do you know why I pulled you over?". Your response should be that you want to speak to your lawyer before you answer any questions.
Stay polite and firm.
You should give the officer your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance card.
The police officer will then handcuff you and take you to the police substation.
When you get to the police substation, they will take away your cell phone and put you into a room with a phone and a yellow page book.
Do not take a breath, blood or urine test until talking with the lawyer.
You should then find a 24 hour lawyer from the yellow page book. You will probably get an answering service who will tell you that the lawyer will be calling you back shortly. You would tell the police offer that fact.
You would then follow the advice of the lawyer which will probably be to then take the test but not answer any questions or do any agility tests.
If they tell you that they are going to get a warrant, you should then submit to the blood test because the penalties are increased.
Ask to be released to obtain an independent blood test at a hospital. It probably will not help you defense but at least you probably will not spend that night in jail.
The message to the YPO was do not drink and drive, have a designated driver or take a taxi home if you have been drinking (regardless of how far you are from home). Also, never have even one drink if you will be driving with a person under 16 years old in your car.
The other must is to have the phone number of a taxi company (Phoenix Orange Taxi and Car Service - 480-626-5334) or car service in your wallet or purse. You could setup an account with Transtyle Transportation (480-948-6131) whereby we can use them without the minimum hourly charge. I am sure there are many more in the valley.

thatguy
11-26-2007, 10:12 AM
OOHHH, Touche!!
Tommy

ULTRA26 # 1
11-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know what the stats are with regard to people who only get one DUI?

Mr. C
11-26-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't remember where i heard this from, but i think it was 60-70% of the people who get one DUI will get another one.

BoatPI
11-26-2007, 10:51 AM
On the .08 limit, I believe that all states have adopted that limit and the 21 year old drinking age or the feds would not give them federal highway funds. AZ was one of the last states to increase the drinking age from 19 to 21.

hoolign
11-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I got one when I was 17 ..absolutley trashed! Tried to out run the cops in my 76 T/A with summer tires on in November on a country road. and I woulda made it if it wasn't for ...planting my car in a dead end with a 10 foot tall snow drift at about 60 mph and going in over 50' ..couldnt even open the doors to try and run ..cop had trudge through the snow and dig down to my window..was he ever pissed!!! I think it took him an hour. Cost me 1000 bucks..haven't drank and drove since...So my stats would be 0.

HM
11-26-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't drink any more.
And I don't drink any less. :D

RiverDave
11-26-2007, 11:11 AM
When I had to do my alcohol classes, they said they had an 80% return rate from first offenders within the first 3 years. 1st 2 years your all uptight about drinking, and about the 3rd year you kinda "forget" about all that shit you had to go through, and start drinking and driving again.
Atleast that's what they said? If you ask me 95% of everything they said in there was bullshit, and propoganda at best.. so put a grain of salt on their 85% statistic.
RD

ULTRA26 # 1
11-26-2007, 11:15 AM
I got one when I was 17 ..absolutley trashed! Tried to out run the cops in my 76 T/A with summer tires on in November on a country road. and I woulda made it if it wasn't for ...planting my car in a dead end with a 10 foot tall snow drift at about 60 mph and going in over 50' ..couldnt even open the doors to try and run ..cop had trudge through the snow and dig down to my window..was he ever pissed!!! I think it took him an hour. Cost me 1000 bucks..haven't drank and drove since...So my stats would be 0.
I used to drink and drive regularly, a couple or three drinks. Got stopped once when I was completely sober, nothing to drink at all, and went through the tests. Don't drink anymore as hangovers hurt way to bad. My stats are 0 as well. Most people that I know who have one have had at least one or usually two more.
PS. When I lived in Coeur d' Alene, ID, back in the 80's I had 75 Formula 400 with huge summer tires on it. It had to be the worst car I ever drove in snow or ice conditions. :) :)

HM
11-26-2007, 11:28 AM
When I had to do my alcohol classes, they said they had an 80% return rate from first offenders within the first 3 years. 1st 2 years your all uptight about drinking, and about the 3rd year you kinda "forget" about all that shit you had to go through, and start drinking and driving again.
Atleast that's what they said? If you ask me 95% of everything they said in there was bullshit, and propoganda at best.. so put a grain of salt on their 85% statistic.
RD
60% of the time, it works every time. :D

hoolign
11-26-2007, 12:09 PM
RD
LMFAO..RD salting the rim in an DUI thread :D Cheers! :D

topless
11-26-2007, 12:19 PM
*VERY ASHAMED*As well you should be. I found your booking video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1VmGjJJFrc&feature=PlayList&p=65894490C287902F&index=55).

centerhill condor
11-26-2007, 01:52 PM
at least he got his money's worth...but which is funnier...the face plant through the dry wall or the but crack!?
CC

mbroome
11-27-2007, 04:03 AM
rofl, nice vid. NO that wasnt me! I have an appt with my atty wed morn. Ill get back w what he says. He said first offense, blow, after that shut your mouth, dont blow and ask for your atty. *shrug*. Ill find out more wed morning.

OKIE-JET
11-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Dont take the breathalyzer, or blood test. Without those definitive numbers, you will get a deffered sentence, instead of a suspended, which stays for 10 yrs. Also, by not taking their little tests, you automatically get the mandatory minimum penalties of susp lic., night in the cell, and fines plus court costs, tow. BUT, the diff between suspended and deffered sentence is huge, it doesnt get reported to ins. as long as you complete the deferred with NO contact with the law.:cool:

Big Warlock
11-27-2007, 07:52 AM
My advice:
If you need to talk to someone, Hot Boat isn't the place!!! :eek:

Spotondl
11-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Dont take the breathalyzer, or blood test. Without those definitive numbers, you will get a deffered sentence, instead of a suspended, which stays for 10 yrs. Also, by not taking their little tests, you automatically get the mandatory minimum penalties of susp lic., night in the cell, and fines plus court costs, tow. BUT, the diff between suspended and deffered sentence is huge, it doesnt get reported to ins. as long as you complete the deferred with NO contact with the law.:cool:
In most states if one refuses to take the breath/urine/blood test your friendly LEO will take a trip to a local hospital/clinic, and force a blood test. Just one of the "rights" that one gives up to have the privilege to drive...

hoolign
11-27-2007, 09:21 AM
My advice:
If you need to talk to someone, Hot Boat isn't the place!!! :eek:
I disagree..what else are we going to do this winter if we don't have theses threads??? I mean c'mon ... lets encourage advice threads..would be my advice here!

Jbb
11-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I disagree..what else are we going to do this winter if we don't have theses threads??? I mean c'mon ... lets encourage advice threads..would be my advice here!
Hooligan....that siggie is disgusting ...and degrading to women....what's wrong with you...:jawdrop:

ratso
11-27-2007, 10:55 AM
In most states if one refuses to take the breath/urine/blood test your friendly LEO will take a trip to a local hospital/clinic, and force a blood test. Just one of the "rights" that one gives up to have the privilege to drive...
Which states? I knew they were talking about making it a law you have to do one or the other, but didn't realize it was already happening.

cjordan
11-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Never heard of this one...UNLESS you caused an accident/injury. Frankly, you are not required to take ANY tests or answer any questions of LEO...but you will be suspended on violation of implied consent...depends on the state, but the "suspension" is usually ~same as if it were a DUI...just no DUI....

snake321
11-27-2007, 11:47 AM
They can take your blood only if you are injured. A refusal gets you a refusal hearing at MV and if you lose you get suspended reguardless of what happens in court.

Boatcop
11-28-2007, 01:28 PM
In AZ, if you blow over .08% you lose your license for 90 days. Refuse the test and you lose it for a year (first refusal) or 2 years (2nd refusal within 8 years)
And then we get a warrant and take your blood, anyway.
I believe in CA the Supreme Court has ruled that they can take your blood, by force if necessary, if you refuse.
The caveat here is that you have to be UNDER ARREST for DUI for those provisions to kick in.
The suspensions for refusal are independent of any court case. You could be found not guilty of the offense, but your license is still gone.

OKIE-JET
11-28-2007, 02:33 PM
In AZ, if you blow over .08% you lose your license for 90 days. Refuse the test and you lose it for a year (first refusal) or 2 years (2nd refusal within 8 years)
And then we get a warrant and take your blood, anyway.
I believe in CA the Supreme Court has ruled that they can take your blood, by force if necessary, if you refuse.
The caveat here is that you have to be UNDER ARREST for DUI for those provisions to kick in.
The suspensions for refusal are independent of any court case. You could be found not guilty of the offense, but your license is still gone.
In OK., if you blow=license gone 6 months, if you dont=license gone 6 months.
Without the numbers the test provides, your punished the same as DUI conviction, it just disappears after the deffered sentence. In a lot of ways this is a bad thing, but one way that it is good is that the law cant rape your pocketbook forever for something that you done 15 yrs ago.:idea:

ClownRoyal
11-28-2007, 02:38 PM
I will second that! Now you need to man up...
I think he already has by starting this thread. Good luck buddy. I think alot of people do the same but just never get caught. LUCKY them until one day ...

ratso
11-28-2007, 02:43 PM
In OK., if you blow=license gone 6 months, if you dont=license gone 6 months.
Without the numbers the test provides, your punished the same as DUI conviction, it just disappears after the deffered sentence. In a lot of ways this is a bad thing, but one way that it is good is that the law cant rape your pocketbook forever for something that you done 15 yrs ago.:idea:
Oh they're working on it...;)