PDA

View Full Version : Shot my friends .50 today... get ready for some muzzle blast!!!!

beaverretriever
11-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Damn, what a neat rifle. Armalite single shot 50cal. The muzzle break on this thing is awesome. It basically kicks like a 243. I was shooting a 1ft target at over 700yrds like it was nothing. Standing behind this thing when it fires is like a AA 8000hp dragster going by.:D :D
Video here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcR1F3AjP6U

Jyruiz
11-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Looks awesome. So what type of CAN did you shoot?:D

beaverretriever
11-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Looks awesome. So what type of CAN did you shoot?:D
LOL.:D
It was awesome. Fun, but very expensive to shoot. 3.00 a round on the cheap side. Lucky for me, 2-10 rounds through that thing is enough.

Fast Freddy
11-25-2007, 06:07 PM
.50 calibers rock! here are a few pix of me shooting my .50's and the damage done to the 55 gallon steel drum set a 1/4 mile downrange. the BIG holes are where the bullets hit the ground in front of the drum first and then skipped up and flew thru the drum sideways. i shoot iron sights only, no scopes for me. with my barrett M82A1 i have shot a 5 shot group that measured 6 inches at a distance of 600 yards. that is minute of angle accuracy at that distance with no scope......

beaverretriever
11-25-2007, 06:11 PM
.50 calibers rock! here are a few pix of me shooting my .50's and the damage done to the 55 gallon steel drum set a 1/4 mile downrange. the BIG holes are where the bullets hit the ground in front of the drum first and then skipped up and flew thru the drum sideways......
NICE!!!! They are a lot of fun. I am going to buy one here pretty soon.
I got to dial in my newly built AR as well. For some reason it wont cycle though. I can squeeze off one shot and that is all. It wont chamber another. Any ideas?:confused:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2228/2064153722_f4fdc5bcf4.jpg?v=0

Fast Freddy
11-25-2007, 06:13 PM
I got to dial in my newly built AR as well. For some reason it wont cycle though. I can squeeze off one shot and that is all. It wont chamber another. Any ideas?:confused:
what kind of ammo are you using? don't use wolf ammo or anykind of non reloadable cartridges that are made out of steel. only use brass cased ammo

beaverretriever
11-25-2007, 06:14 PM
what kind of ammo are you using? don't use wolf ammo or anykind of non reloadable cartridges that are made out of steel. only use brass cased ammo
No, God no... No steel ever.
I tried different ammo, mags, etc. It is a charging prob. I was thinking I may have somthing blocking the gas tube or somthing. :confused:

msc5195
11-25-2007, 06:22 PM
I personally am working on my 4th thousand round block of wolf steel cased ammo through my Bushmaster and have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. I did buy a box of brass cased hollow points from wally world and it would not cycle them for nothing. The same hollow points also jammed in in my friends Rock River AR. I returned them to Walmart for a second box only to have them do the same. Over at AR-15.com there have many discussions and debates on steel cased ammo. I personally have had no problem with steel cased and will continue to shoot steel cased. As far as the problem have you tried a different clip? Is the clip fully loaded, if so take a few shells out of the clip and try again. Just a few things I would try.

msc5195
11-25-2007, 06:24 PM
No, God no... No steel ever.
I tried different ammo, mags, etc. It is a charging prob. I was thinking I may have somthing blocking the gas tube or somthing. :confused:
Nevermind. You answered my questions while I was typing. Good luck.

Wheeler
11-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Try posting some new pictures of your wife, this should help. :D

repo man
11-25-2007, 06:42 PM
check the gas block at the front of the hand guard , if it isn't lined up right it will act like that.

beaverretriever
11-25-2007, 06:52 PM
check the gas block at the front of the hand guard , if it isn't lined up right it will act like that.
I am thinking that is it.
Thanks for the info.

cdog
11-25-2007, 07:16 PM
If your gas tube is lined up correctly, which it has to in order to get the pin installed thru the block and tube. You may want to try one of these. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20upgrade.htm
The AR gas systems are designed to work on the 18-20 inch barrels. Carbines tend to be finicky. I'd like to do the Ares gas system on one of my carbines.:D
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=310274

RiverDave
11-25-2007, 07:24 PM
.50 calibers rock! here are a few pix of me shooting my .50's and the damage done to the 55 gallon steel drum set a 1/4 mile downrange. the BIG holes are where the bullets hit the ground in front of the drum first and then skipped up and flew thru the drum sideways. i shoot iron sights only, no scopes for me. with my barrett M82A1 i have shot a 5 shot group that measured 6 inches at a distance of 600 yards. that is minute of angle accuracy at that distance with no scope......
Now I'm not that heavy into guns or anything, but that seems a tad on the unrealistic side to me. 1800 feet with a 6 inch spread / 5 shots and no scope?
At 6 foot ball fields, if I put up a 6 inch target. I'd bet money you couldn't hit it without a scope. Hell I'd be real impressed if you could even see it from 600 yards, let alone hit it... Or for that matter land 5 shots in it. (Anywhere in it)
RD

beaverretriever
11-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Now I'm not that heavy into guns or anything, but that seems a tad on the unrealistic side to me. 1800 feet with a 6 inch spread / 5 shots and no scope?
At 6 foot ball fields, if I put up a 6 inch target. I'd bet money you couldn't hit it without a scope. Hell I'd be real impressed if you could even see it from 600 yards, let alone hit it... Or for that matter land 5 shots in it. (Anywhere in it)
RD
LOL, I can't see 50yrds without my glasses. You can't see it in the pix, but I wear prescription shooting glasses. I have no idea how someone could see a target at even 200 yards.:jawdrop:

Jordy
11-25-2007, 07:54 PM
RD
C'mon now, you're saying that Fast Freddy would exaggerate on how far away he was when he smoked a 6" target??? :idea: :notam:
RD, stop hatin... :D

cdog
11-25-2007, 08:13 PM
All that and he's got a AAA ma duce. Not exactly the target model. :)

Fast Freddy
11-25-2007, 08:21 PM
RD
this is the ammo that i shot the group with out of my unscoped/iron sighted barrett M82A1 (see pic attachment below). its a match load from TTI armory utilizing a 750 grain barnes X bullet which is turned out on a lathe. i was shooting at a 55 gallon steel drum and we went down range and measured the group at the center hole of the outermost bullet holes in the group. with a bolt action .50 caliber my group would have been even smaller. 600 yards is the limit for me with no scope. i own over 30 guns and not one of them has a scope. i am one class away from being a world class shooter at IHMSA events. in field pistol i shoot a .41 magnum revolver in the "standing" unscoped production revolver class. in BIG bore i shoot a .44 magnum in the same class. go to www.ihmsa.org to learn more about this type of shooting competition that originally started in Sonora, Mexico back in the 50's and first started in the USA in Arizona back in 1976 when the Tucson Rifle Club built a range for this type of shooting.

beaverretriever
11-25-2007, 08:31 PM
RD, I have seen people hit 1000 yard targets with open sites. It is pretty amazing what can be done.

STV_Keith
11-25-2007, 08:33 PM
What is it doing exactly? You say it won't chamber another round...is the bolt hung on the next round in the mag and won't strip it or where in the cycle? Does the spent round extract and eject?
Love the .50 vid. My dad has a Steyr HS-50. Beautiful rifle. I've been looking at the AR50 myself, due to cost. Also looked at the LAR Grizzly 50 and the Serbu 50. Not sure yet, but need to get one before the damn Dems start banning them.

beaverretriever
11-25-2007, 08:58 PM
What is it doing exactly? You say it won't chamber another round...is the bolt hung on the next round in the mag and won't strip it or where in the cycle? Does the spent round extract and eject?
Love the .50 vid. My dad has a Steyr HS-50. Beautiful rifle. I've been looking at the AR50 myself, due to cost. Also looked at the LAR Grizzly 50 and the Serbu 50. Not sure yet, but need to get one before the damn Dems start banning them.
What up Homie? Sorry we didn't get to hang today.
The cartridge will not extract. I have to pull the charging handle to extract the shell.
I know it is not the mag or ammo. Everything seems to be working ok. I think it is the gas tube alignment.
I think you can get the Armalite for around 2500-3000.00. Unfortunately, I have about 25 guns I want to buy right now, but the 5oh is on my list. :D

STV_Keith
11-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Did anyone watch the bolt while you were trying to shoot it? Sounds like a short stroke - the bolt doesn't get far enough back to completely extract the shell, so the spring pushes the bolt back forward.
As diagnosed above, most likely either gas tube alignment issue or the gas hole in the barrel needs to be bigger, giving the bolt a harder shove. Also as mentioned, more common on shorter barrels/gas systems.
The 50 is on my relatively short list, as I can see them getting banned sooner than later. Lots of other stuff on my gotta-have-it list as well. :)
We'll have to get together and sling some lead in the future.

beaverretriever
11-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Did anyone watch the bolt while you were trying to shoot it? Sounds like a short stroke - the bolt doesn't get far enough back to completely extract the shell, so the spring pushes the bolt back forward.
As diagnosed above, most likely either gas tube alignment issue or the gas hole in the barrel needs to be bigger, giving the bolt a harder shove. Also as mentioned, more common on shorter barrels/gas systems.
The 50 is on my relatively short list, as I can see them getting banned sooner than later. Lots of other stuff on my gotta-have-it list as well. :)
We'll have to get together and sling some lead in the future.
That is exactly what is happening.
Yeah, you know about all those murders here in the U.S. with .50 cals.:rolleyes: What a joke huh?

LakeTrash
11-26-2007, 05:08 AM
500 yards with a M14, open sights, was part of qualifying in the Marine Corps during the 60s. You cannot see the center ring bullseye but you know it is in the middle of the rings you can see. I saw many guys put 10 in the black.
LT

Tom Olson
11-26-2007, 07:32 AM
check where the gas tube enters the bolt carrier,Ive had that come loose before, 2 staked screws hold it in place

Riverkid
11-26-2007, 07:55 AM
or just change out the bolt from one of your other AR's as a quick test...

Fast Freddy
11-26-2007, 11:10 AM
500 yards with a M14, open sights, was part of qualifying in the Marine Corps during the 60s. You cannot see the center ring bullseye but you know it is in the middle of the rings you can see. I saw many guys put 10 in the black.
LT
i own and shoot two national match M1A's chambered in .308 caliber. these are essentially the semi-auto versions of the full auto M14's that the military uses. they are my favorite rifles that i own. their accuracy is amazing considering that they are semi-automatic rifles. at 385 meters (421 yards) yards i have shot a turkey sized target 7X in a row shooting with the iron sights and a bipod from a prone position. at 100 yards from a bench and a rest i have shot a 5 shot group that measured 1-1/8''. here is a pic of that very target i shot, again with no scope, open iron sights only for me. i purposely had this group sighted in high on the target so as to not shoot out my aiming point so i could judge this particular ammos accuracy with my gun. it is federal's gold medal match load which utilizes sierras 168 grain boat tail hollow point bullet......

Keith E. Sayre
11-26-2007, 11:34 AM
My son and I went out yesterday up above Bisorn here in Havasu and tried to
knock the mountain down with a couple of 22's, a 357 mag, 2 30-30's and a couple of 30.06's. then my friend Jon Hughes breaks out his Barrett 50
and although I've shot it before, it never ceases to amaze me how loud
and thundering that thing is. Everyone at their spot on the hill, simply
stops and stares with this blank expression on their face!

Fast Freddy
11-26-2007, 11:42 AM
My son and I went out yesterday up above Bisorn here in Havasu and tried to
knock the mountain down with a couple of 22's, a 357 mag, 2 30-30's and a couple of 30.06's. then my friend Jon Hughes breaks out his Barrett 50
and although I've shot it before, it never ceases to amaze me how loud
and thundering that thing is. Everyone at their spot on the hill, simply
stops and stares with this blank expression on their face!
.50's kick my ass. i wear ear plugs and ear muffs when i shoot my barrett. in addition to wearing my protective shooting glasses i wear a bandana on my face because i shoot left handed and my gun bein semi-auto will sometimes throw the cartridges at my face. 200+ grains of gun powder makes for one hot piece of brass that will weld itself to your face when it is lit off and thrown back at you.

Sleeper CP
11-26-2007, 05:20 PM
You didn't do this did you:(
http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/?action=view&current=50caliber.flv
Ouch.... that hurt:jawdrop:
I had the oppertunity to shoot my friends 10 years ago in Nevada. We were shooting 1 and 5 gallon water bottles at 300 and 500 yards. Also shot a M-60 that day... bad ass gun that is.
Sound is important on this one ;)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover