PDA

View Full Version : New Jeep Wranglers

Sotally Tober
11-26-2007, 06:42 PM
I sold my old 89 YJ. My wife hated the thing as it rode like shit. Ive missed it since last spring as well as my 5 year old son. Looking for a spare vehicle as I could not drive a jeep everyday.
I would like one of the extended unlimiteds that arent made anymore.
We have a dealer here that sells new ones for invoice. Are the new ones much better than the older vintage ones? Ive heard the new v6 in a minivan motor, is this true? Just starting to research.

TCHB
11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
There is a big change in the WJ compared to any of the Spring Suspention cars TJs and above. They are night and day. A new Jeep long wheel base is like a Benz compared to your old YJ Jeep.

Sotally Tober
11-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Is the WJ 07 and newer?
This is going to be a winter driver as well as take the top off in the summer and take out on the sunny days. Light offroad so I dont see my need for the Rubicon. Looking at a Sahara. Theres an auto in stock. The interior looks to be a lot better than the older Sahara's. They were damn ugly!
Is there a problem with getting an auto? The MPG are rated the same.

OSidePat
11-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Buy any of the TJ.s 1996 and up they drive great and you can buy the longer one Unlimiteds 2001 and up dont buy a new one cause you will lose your ass on it after you drive off the lot

mbrown2
11-26-2007, 09:50 PM
The 07 Wranglers are known as JK's.....the unlimited's are night and day highway driving from the short TJ..

Sotally Tober
11-26-2007, 09:56 PM
The 07 Wranglers are known as JK's.....the unlimited's are night and day highway driving from the short TJ..
When you say unlimited are you talking about the long wheelbase 2 door or the "new" unlimited which are the 4 door that are ugly IMO.

Sotally Tober
11-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Buy any of the TJ.s 1996 and up they drive great and you can buy the longer one Unlimiteds 2001 and up dont buy a new one cause you will lose your ass on it after you drive off the lot
The thing that teases me about new is the lifetime powertrain warrenty. I end up keeping my vehicles for a long time. I know you lose your ass if you plan to sell it right off the lot. But I dont.

Focker
11-26-2007, 10:28 PM
i just got a 2008 rubicon

mbrown2
11-26-2007, 10:52 PM
When you say unlimited are you talking about the long wheelbase 2 door or the "new" unlimited which are the 4 door that are ugly IMO.
The 07 unlimited's only come in 4 door...the 06's Unlimited were the last year of the 2 door long wheelbase versions.. I like the 4 doors..as for what is ugly or not, I guess that all depends on what one's taste is.....:) I got rid of my TJ for this one...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43934&d=1196146259

Mrs.Moose on the loose
11-26-2007, 10:57 PM
The 07 unlimited's only come in 4 door...the 06's Unlimited were the last year of the 2 door long wheelbase versions.. I like the 4 doors..as for what is ugly or not, I guess that all depends on what one's taste is.....:) I got rid of my TJ for this one...
We have always had CJ5's and have done the Rubicon, rough rides but now these new ones I love, I like the 4 doors and the fact that they are kinda like a car ride, but I would not want to take it off road, so why buy it,:(
But they do look cool, better than the hummers etc. Nice color by the way.

Outnumbered
11-26-2007, 11:26 PM
There is no comparison between the 2006 and 2007 Unlimited. The 2007 Unltd has a HUGE back seat and is more like a car...very nice daily driver. The 2006 is more old-school. Shitty back seat even with the longer wheelbase. Still rides better than your old Jeep but the 2007 is a great family ride. I've head great luck with my Mopars. I would not hesitate to get a new one.

Sigus
11-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Thank you! The TJ you built is awesome.:D

Cole
11-27-2007, 05:42 AM
UGLY?? Really??:idea:
I think the new 4 door kicks azz!! Thinking about one for myself!! I compare it a little to the hummer...

mbrown2
11-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Thank you! The TJ you built is awesome.:D
That TJ is a great wheeler....we hit some trails on the Cali side this past weekend back to an ol mine...your TJ will go alot of places..:)

Sigus
11-27-2007, 08:10 AM
That TJ is a great wheeler....we hit some trails on the Cali side this past weekend back to an ol mine...your TJ will go alot of places..:)
We been running it pretty hard on the AZ side. Need to find some different trails.
Interesting side note is I lost another left rear shock. I need to look into the geometry of that mount and see why it keeps happening.

Magic34
11-27-2007, 08:10 AM
UGLY?? Really??:idea:
I think the new 4 door kicks azz!! Thinking about one for myself!! I compare it a little to the hummer...
I am really liking the new 4 door as well. I would like to get one, but need something the size of a Suburban. :(

mbrown2
11-27-2007, 08:18 AM
We been running it pretty hard on the AZ side. Need to find some different trails.
Interesting side note is I lost another left rear shock. I need to look into the geometry of that mount and see why it keeps happening.
Not sure who does Rubicon Express lifts in town....I had Jeep Tricks install the lift, Axle, Arbs....Kent might be at Rebel offroad now....I am not an expert with this stuff but if the rear adjustable track bar was set incorrect it might screw with the shock gemometry as the axle might be out of alignment, but then you would think you would feel that when driving...
Great to hear it is doing good on the trails...I definitely miss it from time to time as it was a perfect jeep.

Caljamr
11-27-2007, 08:34 AM
I had a 1991 Wrangler on 33's and it would ride worse than my 1973 Bronco on 35's. I really like the new Jeeps and will buy a slightly used one or try one of the FJ's.
MBrown your ride is very nice. I like it alot. :)

Sotally Tober
11-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Sorry, guess I did not mean ugly. To me It doesn't look like a Jeep, but more as you stated a Hummer with a removable top. It has that SUV look. A 4 door would be a lot more convienent with 2 young boys though. Do the 4 doors turn very sharp?
That is a nice 4 door BTW.

hkunz
11-27-2007, 10:36 AM
It is hitting the spring. You can move the lower shock mount back a few inches and it will stop. Someone even makes a kit for the shock relocation.

mbrown2
11-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Sorry, guess I did not mean ugly. To me It doesn't look like a Jeep, but more as you stated a Hummer with a removable top. It has that SUV look. A 4 door would be a lot more convienent with 2 young boys though. Do the 4 doors turn very sharp?
That is a nice 4 door BTW.
Hummers are what your girlfriend gives you....that's a jeep! :)
It turns pretty sharp...trailing it in rocks I have only had to do a 3 point turn once....turns sharper then the wife's short escalade, but not as sharp as the TJ...
It takes on a new look with the 4 doors, but can't argue with the convienence. In addition, I was unable to launch a 23ft heavy boat on a steep launch ramp without the front wheels being lifted and the TJ dragged down the ramp...the 4 door JK does the Schiada or Malibu without issue..its a nice compromise vehicle for offroad, launching duties and needing the extra room.
One drawback...they should have had a V8 option as the V6 is just not enough for this size...then put 35's, 5:13 gears and you lack HP....I will probably do a 5.7 Hemi swap on it..

Sotally Tober
11-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Dont plan to pull my trailer as it is 12K with 1500+ lbs. in tongue weight. Have a dually for that.
That will be sweet with a hemi. Make sure you post some build pics when you do.

Sigus
11-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Hummers are what your girlfriend gives you....that's a jeep! :)
It turns pretty sharp...trailing it in rocks I have only had to do a 3 point turn once....turns sharper then the wife's short escalade, but not as sharp as the TJ...
It takes on a new look with the 4 doors, but can't argue with the convienence. In addition, I was unable to launch a 23ft heavy boat on a steep launch ramp without the front wheels being lifted and the TJ dragged down the ramp...the 4 door JK does the Schiada or Malibu without issue..its a nice compromise vehicle for offroad, launching duties and needing the extra room.
One drawback...they should have had a V8 option as the V6 is just not enough for this size...then put 35's, 5:13 gears and you lack HP....I will probably do a 5.7 Hemi swap on it..
Let me know when you are done with the swap..:jawdrop: :D

Sigus
11-27-2007, 11:32 AM
It is hitting the spring. You can move the lower shock mount back a few inches and it will stop. Someone even makes a kit for the shock relocation.
Many thanks for the info I will look into this.

WYRD
11-27-2007, 11:34 AM
If you plan to really use it off road, the wheelbase and the weight of the 4 doors really bog you down, I have been out with several of them and while they do keep up on the trail they often times need rocks stacked or take different lines (because of the wheelbase) unless there is alot of aftermarket $$$ put into it. JMO

OCMerrill
11-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Trying to compare a JK Unlimited to a LJ (TJ) Unlimited is like a Polaris Ranger vrs a Rhino. Same basic suspension, one is a ton bigger than the other. One goes faster on the open road.:D
Last time we ran Odessa Canyon (Calico) a family had made a big mess of one. They are not suitable for all but work for most.
They are very comfortable compared to my LJ.
I stick by my opinion in that IF there were a new JK in my style 04-06 Unlimited length I would buy it ASAP. But they don't so we keep on wheeling what we have and love it.
One big downer is the new real CV drive shafts. In true Jbb style...they go "Bnag" right quick with big tires. Need to change out drive shafts to U-Joint based CV style if any serious wheeling is done.