PDA

View Full Version : Chinese deny port to US ships

Seadog
11-27-2007, 03:34 PM
It was in the news today that there were a couple of recent issues with the Chinese denying access to US ships trying to port at Hong Kong. Long a traditional port of call, the first incident was when a storm threatened a destroyer and minesweeper, low on fuel, they tried to pull into Hong Kong and was denied port rights. Luckily, we were able to refuel them at sea. This is a complete violation of international law.
Then, a few days ago, the Kitty Hawk and its support ships were due to dock at Hong Kong for a long scheduled Thanksgiving holiday with their families. The families had already flown into the country for this rare chance to get together. At the last minute, the Chinese denied them access and refused to discuss it. This is not a traditionally closed port, but a port that has a long tradition of open access to all. I have to wonder in light of the recent food and toy recalls, the oil spill by a Chinese freighter in SF bay, that maybe this is a final straw. I am all for advocating denying access to Chinese ships at any US port. I have never been fond of our reliance on them as a trade partner. They have managed to use and abuse us at every turn. They have gotten the career politicians to turn their backs on Taiwan. Are we leaders, or puppets?

sanger rat
11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
It's time for us to do the same.:mad:

Magic34
11-27-2007, 03:58 PM
The problems with the US and Arab countries are not our biggest issue, it is the struggle for the Chinese to become the core nation of the world and overtake the US and the #1 superpower.
I fear the day that the US and China go to war. It wont be pretty and I feel that it will happen in the future.

RitcheyRch
11-27-2007, 04:00 PM
China should be everyones biggest fear and we continue to buy stuff from them. :mad:
The problems with the US and Arab countries are not our biggest issue, it is the struggle for the Chinese to become the core nation of the world and overtake the US and the #1 superpower.
I fear the day that the US and China go to war. It wont be pretty and I feel that it will happen in the future.

Big Warlock
11-27-2007, 04:02 PM
We won't go to war. The are going to kick he shiat out of us economically!!!.

BadKachina
11-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Exactly, they are already winning the war.:rolleyes:
BTW, will you be around this week? I was going to have Mark cruise up and borrow a prop from you.

Magic34
11-27-2007, 05:03 PM
That will be first and the bombs will be last.

Jordy
11-27-2007, 05:45 PM
BTW, will you be around this week? I was going to have Mark cruise up and borrow a prop from you.
Just let him know what you want and he can bring it to the meeting as B.S.C.C. tomorrow at 3 PM. That is, if you two married guys aren't afraid. :D

ULTRA26 # 1
11-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Exactly, they are already winning the war.:rolleyes:
Yep. Future wars will be economic.
Anyone ever see a 1975 movie named Rollerball?

redneckcharlie
11-27-2007, 05:54 PM
The Chinese are simply posturing. They know that they cannot sustain an economic war with the US. The one figure you never see, is what percentage of the Chinese GNP is exported to the US. I know many here will completely disagree with me, but it is not in their best interest to have an economic war. Its a very funny situation when you mix communism and capitalism. I bet you see internal strife sooner than you see any kind of confrontation with the US. ;)

redneckcharlie
11-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Yep. Future wars will be economic.
Anyone ever see a 1975 movie named Rollerball?
Great movie!

ULTRA26 # 1
11-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Great movie!
It left an impression.

BadKachina
11-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Just let him know what you want and he can bring it to the meeting as B.S.C.C. tomorrow at 3 PM. That is, if you two married guys aren't afraid. :D
Feel free to mix in a text or a phone call, I aint scared.;)

Blown 472
11-27-2007, 07:40 PM
The Chinese are simply posturing. They know that they cannot sustain an economic war with the US. The one figure you never see, is what percentage of the Chinese GNP is exported to the US. I know many here will completely disagree with me, but it is not in their best interest to have an economic war. Its a very funny situation when you mix communism and capitalism. I bet you see internal strife sooner than you see any kind of confrontation with the US. ;)
Dont forget they hold a huge portion of US debt, and you have compaines like matel kissing their asses over the lead in toy deal, and our politians do nothing.

Rexone
11-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Well know fact, all great empires are destroyed from the inside out, America is doing a fine job of this, were so worried about everyone else in the world, how about minding our own house, anyone stopped and looked at our crumbling infastructure throughout America !!!! Buildings, Highways, Bridges, etc, etc...
.... uncontrolled immigration (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4094926727128068265&q=number)...

cxr133
11-27-2007, 08:07 PM
I Tivod 20th century battlefields last night about North korea.
And it appears US/NATO has faced China in that conflict and was pushed back out of North korea.

finsfan4life
11-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Lets get them back where it will hurt them the most..!!!!
Stop providing them automobile insurance !!!
GOD KNOWS THEY SURE USE IT !!!!

redneckcharlie
11-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Dont forget they hold a huge portion of US debt, and you have compaines like matel kissing their asses over the lead in toy deal, and our politians do nothing.
Its not a whole lot different with the Japanese buying everthing American in the Eighties and Early Nineties. When it was all said and done they didn't have a clue how to run those companies. Pebble beach golf course is a good example. The denying of the port has alot more to do with the Chinese government showing control to their own people as opposed to the rest of the world.

bonesfab
11-27-2007, 09:36 PM
I personally beleive this country is in deep shit. China is going to be a real problem in the future. We (the U.S.) have given everybody everything while we just bend over and say OK and don't give a sh!t about are own people. I read somewhere that the U.S. government wanted to use Chinese made computers to store classified information. All are manufacturing is going to be overseas. When we need it we are not going to be able to produce it. Even with all the technology we have today, I don't think we could match the production of our factories during world war II. And all that was done with out the aid of computers. We have way too many people coming to this country when way too many jobs are leaving it. Rant over for now...;)

Infomaniac
11-28-2007, 06:21 AM
I Tivod 20th century battlefields last night about North korea.
And it appears US/NATO has faced China in that conflict and was pushed back out of North korea.
Well duh they flanked us unexpectedly by joining the fight. Can't guard your flank if you don't know another country is going to jump in.

dirty old man
11-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Yes, to you youngsters, its Communist China. Has been for about 70 years. Fifty plus years ago I was trained to hate and kill North Korean and Chinese Communists, but for the most part I got over it. The people are fine, hard working and industrious, but their government sucks. And up to just a few years ago, and maybe still but more private, they kill any daughters born until they have a son first.
As a side note, tried to buy an American brand nav system yesterday, like Garmin, Magellon or TomTom, everyone make in Communist China. Young sales clerk had no idea my reluctance to buy from a communist country

Debbolas
11-28-2007, 08:16 AM
China should be everyones biggest fear and we continue to buy stuff from them. :mad:
I am surprised at the amount of material goods that are manufactued in China. It's incredible.:jawdrop:
We do have customers coming into the store and asking for US made goods.

ColeTR2
11-28-2007, 08:42 AM
well said !

Seadog
11-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I have serious concerns about the future of relationships with China. There are a lot of parallels with pre-WWII Japan. Only this time, China has the resources and manufacturing that we used to win.
The Chinese normally have a very structured change of guard, but a new future is what they call Gen 6 will be taking over in a few years. Bright and more trained in world affairs and economics than their predecessors. The problem is that they are a lot more arrogant. Given the right circumstances and they are more likely to think they can take over other countries and get away with it. At the very least, bully the rest of the world. They have already proved that at the UN.
The worse, is that while we have been downsizing our military, they have been upgrading theirs to the point of being a real threat. It use to be that our submarine forces had major advantages. Now, they have subs that are quieter than ours, and operated by their brightest people using the best training techniques in the world.

Seadog
11-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Of course, it could be that they develop into a society that becomes a major ally of ours, just don't bank on it.

DILLIGAF
11-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Its not a whole lot different with the Japanese buying everthing American in the Eighties and Early Nineties. When it was all said and done they didn't have a clue how to run those companies. Pebble beach golf course is a good example. The denying of the port has alot more to do with the Chinese government showing control to their own people as opposed to the rest of the world.
They thought they could sell private memberships. What they didn't understand is that PB is on public land and the Coatal Commission is very powerful out there. It would never have been allowed and hence they sold it back after a massive loss. I liked the way that one ended :)