PDA

View Full Version : post your scary snake stories......

Fast Freddy
11-27-2007, 05:51 PM
about once a year i kill a rattler in my airplane hangar. up till today all have been in the summertime and i usually hear their rattler before i see them. i have a small 1850 watt coleman generator that i haven't started up in over 2 years since i put some stabil in it. its about the size of a square 5 gallon gas can, except its just a lil bit bigger. anyway today i picked it up and carried it about 20 feet or so and put it outside. it was real dusty so i took a wet rag and dusted the top and all 4 sides of it off. then i turned it upside down to pour some of the old gas out of it. i was putting in some fresh gas when i looked through the heat grill and saw a rattlesnake coiled up inside there!!! i poked him with a stick and he moved!! he was hibernating in my generator! he did not want to come out so i fired it up and within about a minute or so the heat from the engine was more than he could stand and he came out. i shot him in the head with my .22 caliber pistol. he was about 2 feet long and had 4-5 buttons on his rattler. the whole ordeal has just made me more scared than ever about where i am gonna find snakes next in my hangar. yikes......

Lightning
11-27-2007, 05:52 PM
There is a grear boating related snake story that Wes can share with you guys. I was only a witness....

Her454
11-27-2007, 06:18 PM
How bout this nightmare........:eek:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118766&highlight=snake

Troy McClure
11-27-2007, 06:18 PM
I watched Snakes on a Plane....that was the most stupid movie EVER!!!1
F'n Samuel L. ....liked him in Pulp Fiction though...:D :D

Pheelin Phroggy
11-27-2007, 06:48 PM
We live at the very edge of town... one night we came home after dark.. I was standing on our little 4'x4' entry porch, unlocked the front door, reached in and turned on the outside light.. looked down and about 3 inches from my foot was a 2' or so rattler sleeping across our porch. I came 3 inches from stepping on him in the dark... by the time I got my shotgun out.. he was gone. We never leave home without turning the porch light on now!!

Trailer Park Casanova
11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Walking through the backyard,, and damn near step on one.
The wife hears me yell,, she comes out to see what's up, grabs the snake and brings it in the house to show the kids.
geeeze,,,,

BadKachina
11-27-2007, 07:38 PM
We were working on a cruiser in the shop that was docked at Pleasant. Jim was down in the bilge. He came out screaming bloddy murder, I thought for sure he was hurt, turns out he reached for what he thought was a hose and grabbed a snake. I had to go in and get it since he's deathly afraid of snakes. It turned out to be a gardner(spelling?) snake, in the end it was funny, plus I still get to ride all the time about it.;) :D

photo chick
11-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Funny you should ask, just less than two weeks ago I was finishing up working with the lions. We have a walkway that is between two chainlink fences. One side is the lions and the other is the outside. I was walking through it, talking on the phone when I almost stepped on a very small rattle snake. I mean I had to jump in mid step. I screamed into the phone, my mom thought the lions had gotten me. I stopped and turned around to see what kind of snake it was. It was definitely a rattler and he was coiled up ready to strike. :jawdrop: I walked a bit away to get a stick and came back but he was gone. Not sure what he was doing out, it's a bit cold right now! That day was quiet a bad day for me...besides a few personal happenings I also got my finger in the way of feeding one of the tigers raw meat!
Another story....while still in Cali, my Beagle was bit by one that was hiding by the A/C in the backyard. He lived luckily b/c he's a bit over wieght. The doc said if he wasn't he probably wouldn't have lived.:(

Froggystyle
11-27-2007, 09:36 PM
I have a snake story... as Lightning insinuated. Bummer is, it is probably a hell of a lot funnier being told by anyone but me since I became unwittingly the lead character in it...
Down in Martinez we were partying with the regular crew back then... I had the daycruiser, Lightning his, J-Mac had his picklefork and Hallet 19 was riding with Jer in the fork. I seem to recall Kwitcherbichen there too and maybe Grape Ape and Screamin Pete...
In any case, we were all partying our faces off down on the upper sandbar when out of nowhere we all see a snake swimming towards the boats. Everyone scatters of course (probably a 4' long snake or so...) and the snake has a clear path towards the back of Jer's picklefork. The thing seemed to up and levitate into the engine compartment and climb down into the bilge. Nobody saw what kind of a snake it was, but it was certainly diamondback colored... I was three boats away laughing my ass off at Jer's bad luck.
Out of nowhere comes the good idea club. We heard it all from "starting a small fire under the gas tank" where it was lodged to filling the bilge up with beer cans until it had nowhere to hide. The ideas were getting more and more hilarious to me, but Jer was actually turning a little white.
By this time, I could see that Jer was seriously concerned about his ability to get the boat home, as he could only barely see part of the snake in the bilge, and it was wedged securely under the fuel tank on the side. With the good ideas coming fast and furiously by this point, he was about at wit's and will's end. So, he yells over to me "Dude! You're a SEAL snake-eater... come get this thing out of my bilge!" I essentially tell him to eat shit, since I want exactly nothing to do with a 4' long snake of undetermined species in the hull of a picklefork, but then he walks up and puts on this super-serious face and essentially begs me to help him get the snake out, and admits under his breath that his is scared to death of them but doesn't want to look like a pussy...
So I go take a look at this thing. First off, with the OTT headers there is just no way to get your head in this thing to take a look without really committing to the idea of it. I layed some towels down on the headers since it was broiling hot out and the headers were the temp of the sun and proceeded to very, very quietly and carefully stick my head down in the bilge upside-down to see where I could get an angle on this thing.
This is when good idea number #312 surfaces. That would be a drunk H19 deciding that now was the time to spray water on it from a bottle to "scare it out". I think my exact words were "hot tip dude... the thing swam across the river to get in the boat... it isn't scared of water" from the depths of the bilge. (For some reason it was a lot funnier that day then it is telling the story)
I came up with a plan... get my oar, a length of 16 ga wire I had in the toolbox, an adel clamp I had with a self-tapping screw and fashion a noose for it. The oar would get me damn near 6' away, and I could fish it into a place where the snake would have to go through it and I would have it...
Except the snake is in there like swimwear.
Long story short, I flood one sponson by pulling a plug, the snake swims out, I noose it, we take some pictures (on here somewhere I imagine) and we let it go. Beers were on Jer.
I hate snakes. Jer still owes me one for that.

Froggystyle
11-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Double post...

vee-driven
11-27-2007, 10:35 PM
About 5 years ago some buddys and i were sitting on the picnic tables at big bend one night drinkin beers and talkin sh!t when i happen to look down to see a snake about to wrap around my foot, so i jump up to take a better look at it and i saw it didn't have a triangle shaped head "no fangs" so i reached down and picked it up and gave it to my friends kids, it turned out to be a gopher snake.

WestTNRiverRat
11-28-2007, 04:39 AM
The first time I got bit was the scariest for me. I was 14 y/o and my mom had taken me to my great aunt and uncle's house to help them do some work around the place. Uncle Irv was a disabled WWII vet having lost both legs on Normandy Beach and Aunt Kelly did what she could around the place but we helped them out when they needed it. This was in 1974. They were both in their 70's and didn't have a car or a phone and the nearest neighbor was about a mile away. They lived in the "sticks" as we called it. :D I'd been there about 2 hours and was getting a rake or something out from under their porch when I got bit by a copperhead on my right hand. When I pulled my hand back the snake was still attached and I started running and shaking my hand till the snake finally got flung off. Well now I start to freak out. I go running to Aunt Kelly in the front yard screaming that a copperhead just bit me. She calmly takes my hand, looks it over then says " He only got you with one fang, you'll be alright." Alright...I figure I'll be dead within the hour!!! She takes me into the house and tells Uncle Irv that a copperhead bit me but only got one fang in me. Now get this...shes says to him, give me a wad of your chew so I can make a poultice and draw out the poison. So he reaches in his mouth and pulls out a wad of chewing tobacco and hands it to her and she plasters it to the snakebite. Well now my hand is throbbing like crazy and starting to swell up like a mofo. I remember getting real hot and sweating like crazy and Aunt Kelly took me out on the porch and got me some ice water and some left over biscuits to eat. I just knew I was going to die and I'm eating cold fricking biscuits for my last meal. :D The pain was pretty bad for a couple of hours and once Aunt Kelly told me she was going to whup me with a switch if I didn't stop crying. :D Like that really scared me. :D After the pain subsided it wasn't that bad but my hand looked terrible. The next day when my mom came to get me I show her my swollen, tobacco spit covered hand she sorta panicked until Aunt Kelly assured her I'd be alright by saying "If he ain't died yet, he probably ain't going to."
They never did take me to the doctor. :D
The second time I got bit was by a water moccasin or cottonmouth as we call them around here. I did go to the emergency room for that.

photo chick
11-28-2007, 05:51 AM
The first time I got bit was the scariest for me. I was 14 y/o and my mom had taken me to my great aunt and uncle's house to help them do some work around the place. Uncle Irv was a disabled WWII vet having lost both legs on Normandy Beach and Aunt Kelly did what she could around the place but we helped them out when they needed it. This was in 1974. They were both in their 70's and didn't have a car or a phone and the nearest neighbor was about a mile away. They lived in the "sticks" as we called it. :D I'd been there about 2 hours and was getting a rake or something out from under their porch when I got bit by a copperhead on my right hand. When I pulled my hand back the snake was still attached and I started running and shaking my hand till the snake finally got flung off. Well now I start to freak out. I go running to Aunt Kelly in the front yard screaming that a copperhead just bit me. She calmly takes my hand, looks it over then says " He only got you with one fang, you'll be alright." Alright...I figure I'll be dead within the hour!!! She takes me into the house and tells Uncle Irv that a copperhead bit me but only got one fang in me. Now get this...shes says to him, give me a wad of your chew so I can make a poultice and draw out the poison. So he reaches in his mouth and pulls out a wad of chewing tobacco and hands it to her and she plasters it to the snakebite. Well now my hand is throbbing like crazy and starting to swell up like a mofo. I remember getting real hot and sweating like crazy and Aunt Kelly took me out on the porch and got me some ice water and some left over biscuits to eat. I just knew I was going to die and I'm eating cold fricking biscuits for my last meal. :D The pain was pretty bad for a couple of hours and once Aunt Kelly told me she was going to whup me with a switch if I didn't stop crying. :D Like that really scared me. :D After the pain subsided it wasn't that bad but my hand looked terrible. The next day when my mom came to get me I show her my swollen, tobacco spit covered hand she sorta panicked until Aunt Kelly assured her I'd be alright by saying "If he ain't died yet, he probably ain't going to."
They never did take me to the doctor. :D
The second time I got bit was by a water moccasin or cottonmouth as we call them around here. I did go to the emergency room for that.
Holy chit dude! A copperhead and a cottonmouth....Remind me to never go hiking with you! :jawdrop:

Jyruiz
11-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Camping at Crazy Horse one summer I was running towards my SeaDoo and I almost stepped on a snake, I said oh shit and jumped over it. I am pretty sure it was not a rattler tho. Another time at Big River camp ground, I saw a snake swim across the river and another time a snake just went by one of the dirt roads near our camp site. I was in Tecate Mexico visiting my wifes grandma, well two of her cousins take me rabbit hunting, as I am walking inside of some railroad tracks, they tell to to get out of there because snakes like to be next to the tracks because of the heat, as I look down, some kind of 3' snake goes right by my rigth foot. At that moment I stand still so it could go by, the thing makes a right turn about three feet in front of me, my wifes cousins start shooting at it (they all missed) and the snake jumps over a cliff. Freaking thing was air snake.

topless
11-28-2007, 08:57 AM
I watched Snakes on a Plane....that was the most stupid movie EVER!!!1
F'n Samuel L. ....liked him in Pulp Fiction though...:D :D
I cracked up when that snake latched on that girls tittie. LOL

HalletDave
11-28-2007, 09:02 AM
I cracked up when that snake latched on that girls tittie. LOL
Was that when the airplane was flying into the blizzard?;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Jamie and I were in our Havasu house one year and we noticed a few little snakes around. We really didn't think anything of it. We went about our day but still kind of keepin an eye out for anything unusual . We were gettin ready for bed took our showers and so on. got the kids put down and went to relax and watch some t.v in the bedroom. we were laying in bed and all of a sudden I feel something on my leg. Jamie lifted the covers and I saw this huge thing not knowing exactly what it was because we only had the light of the t.v. I looked up at him with huge eyes .he said they looked. like silver dollars. He started laughing and said I want to put this snake in your box.. I said what.. You want to put that where. :jawdrop: :D :D :D

maxwedge
11-28-2007, 09:29 AM
I was out in my back yard walking the dog a while back, she squatted down and started to take a piss when a pretty large garter snake slithered through the grass right between her front paws. She jumped about 3 feet straight up in the air, still pissing, I was LMAO. She pulled me hard as she could back towards the house and wouldn't go in the back yard for several days after that.:D

topless
11-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Was that when the airplane was flying into the blizzard?;)
That was when the couple was going to join the mile high club in the restroom.

soupersonic
11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
The company i was working for at the time built the Bashas and the strip center out in Gold Canyon, AZ. We had been there eight months,i had been working with the same group of guys for a couple years. One kid Glen and i were riding on the back of a pickup going from pile to pile, picking up cardboard from light pole bases in the parking lot.I jumped off the back mid way to one pile because i saw an open hand hole cover and i had a screwdriver.The truck stops at the cardboard pile and Glen starts digging into it,next thing i see is Glen LEAPS back what looks like ten feet at once.Im thinking shit ive never seen him move that fast before.Out of the pile come the biggest damn rattler ive ever seen.This thing had to have been 5-6 feet,big around as your calf. Scared the crap out of us. Especially Glen :D :D

4trax
11-28-2007, 12:05 PM
How's this one for ya??
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2007/11/28/vo.boy.cambodia.snake.ap

WYRD
11-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Helping my Mom clean out her garage a few years back, bent down to pick up an old engine head and a baby rattler about 8" long with a button and a half struck me in the arm. Luckly for me he only grazed my skin and didnt break it. Scared the crap outta me:eek: :sqeyes:

GAME TIME
11-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Not really scary but, I saw this guy out on Mohave two summers ago in the middle of the lake...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/jmcmahan23/DSCN2831.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/jmcmahan23/DSCN2830.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/jmcmahan23/DSCN2829.jpg
I turned around and he started swimming for the boat. I picked him up and let him go by the shore.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/jmcmahan23/DSCN2832.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/jmcmahan23/DSCN2835.jpg

bilgewiper
11-28-2007, 01:15 PM
It's the summer of '63 at Lake Mohave. Possibly on the same trip as this pic of me was taken. Camped for week plus. Dad goes home during the week leaving Mom, Aunt and me camping. Ranger knows only women and kids are camping there so he stops to check up us at least once everyday. I am playing in the water behind our outboard when I see something oozing out from around motor (possible grease/oil or something). Thinking we might have some sort of problem I tell Mom about it. Yep it was a Pit viper. She was sure glad to see the Ranger when he made his daily rounds as we weren't using the boat till he came and removed it.
P.S (off topic) for all you "big ballers" who think you are cool running out to Catalina. My Mom and Dad used to run that outboard to Catalina in the fog with just a Boyscout compass hopeing the fog to clear before thay got there. They always made it and back........but they were just smart enough to NOT take me.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/bilgewiper/10-25-07002.jpg

FOXMAN
12-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Mine is about an anaconda and my wife when i met her... It's more of a love at first sight than a scary story:D

MikeF
12-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Scary and a little sad too.
Early evening, just got to the trailer in Baja and as I was moving toward the Bano inbetween the trailer....the rattler starts making noise (1st time experience for me)....I jump back and find the shovel. I gotta kill it cause my Goddaughter and her brother are with us (I ain't takin no chance)! Hit it a couple of times and a few baby snakes are in there.:( .....off comes the head.
Next night.....I'm moving through the same area again....Now on the left side.....Another one!!! Jump back, get the shovel, off w/ the head!....Into the fire.
I'm definately more cautious when I go walking around. It's much more wild down there.
I was born in Florida and we had Glass snakes everywhere down there. Used to pick them up all the time when I was little.

jpeaston
12-01-2007, 11:52 AM
I got bit by a rattler by Pine Flat Lake, CA a couple of years agoe while hog hunting. I think I stepped on it because I never heard it until it had both fangs in my calf. I walked back out to the rode with my buddy and my knee was just about locked up after a half mile. I don't care who you are, there is no way to stay calm after a rattlesnake bite. I got a helo ride to the hospital and spent two days and three nights in intensive care. First night next to gunshot victims and stab wounds which did not help my calmness. My mom wanted to see me but my dad wouldn't let her in because there was a sheet over the guy next to me at the time. (His bullet holed shirt ended up in my clothes bag by the way) The had to fly in antivenom from Phoenix, I got 25 viles which I was told was the second highest total in recorded history in CA. My leg turned into a tree trunk form my nuts down with every color imaginable. For three nights they told me they would have to cut into it to let out pressure and cut away dead tissue in ten minutes, but they never had to. I finally got released and I layed on the couch for three weeks before starting rehab. I went seven days without going number 2 which caused other problems as well. The bite mark dried up like a prune and fell off after after a couple of weeks, and didn't leave any scar.

gigamurph
12-01-2007, 05:36 PM
More weird than scary; almost everyone knows the myth about rattlesnakes being afraid of kingsnakes; right? When da gig was just a pup of maybe 8 or 9 years old, he got within inches of what he thought was a kingsnake until it recoiled and began rattling! Ran I got my older cousin and he in turn got his 12 gauge shotgun and after verifying that it did have the markings of a kingsnake and rattles and fangs of a rattlesnake, he turned it into a little red spot on the countryside. Probably blew our moment of fame all to smithereens but Ripley's "Believe It Or Not" wasn't yet heard of in '62 or '63.

flatties forever
12-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Have property and Houseboat on Pine Flat. Been going there my whole life. I'm 40. I've killed 2 snakes the previous 39 years.. This past summer was the "Summer of the Snake", and not the trouser variety.. Stopped in the middle of the river to transfer skiers from one boat to another. Nobody saw the 3 ft rattler till it was trying to make his was on the upholstery from the swim step. Dispatched it with a paddle and kung fu screams. A second snake was found on the Houseboat. While tied in a cove 200 feet from shore. Been out there for two weeks, the kids (about 10 of 'em counting friends) up and down the ladder to jump off the top for 1 solid hour, then I hear my son (7) say, "Hey-- there's a snake in the rope " That got my attention.. It was coiled in the tie up rope under the ladder. 10 kids made about 20 passes up the ladder, no more the 18" away from the flippin' thing. Dispatched that one with a steak knife tied to broom handle cause it wouldn't come out.. Oh yeah, killed 7 snakes on the property this spring/early summer. All with a shovel. WTF??? None were agressive but I refer to my previous question, WTF???