PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal w/ buying a boat in AZ?

buzzaro
03-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Ive heard a couple different things now. Ive been told that you avoid sales tax altogether and then also that you just avoid the CA Luxury tax? Can anyone shed some light on this and clear it all up?

River918
03-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Ive heard a couple different things now. Ive been told that you avoid sales tax altogether and then also that you just avoid the CA Luxury tax? Can anyone shed some light on this and clear it all up?
If you buy a new boat you will have to pay sales tax whether you're in Ca or Az. If you buy used, register it in Az and then you don't have to pay sales tax. If you do end up buying a new one (or used), register it in AZ to avoid paying that dreaded California "Luxury Tax".....

Havasu Cig
03-05-2006, 03:51 PM
If you buy used "IN Arizona" from a non dealer (what they call a casual sale) you don't have to pay sales tax. If you buy used in California from a non dealer you must take delivery in Arizona to avoid California / Arizona sale tax (and it must stay out of California for 6 months). If you buy new from either state you will have to pay sales tax to the state that the boat was bought in. I going through this right now with AZ.

Mandelon
03-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Buy it in Cali and pay the sales tax for the second time, and every year also pay the luxury tax. We need the money. :cry:

Jbb
03-05-2006, 06:49 PM
I bought one in AZ.....I just brought a bag full of cash..... :)

buzzaro
03-05-2006, 06:59 PM
I bought one in AZ.....I just brought a bag full of cash..... :)
Got any extra bags laying around? :rolleyes: