PDA

View Full Version : Bigger fuel tank for my F-250

rrrr
11-30-2007, 05:56 AM
I installed a replacement tank on my truck yesterday. It's a 2008 F-250 crew. The stock tank was only 30 gallons, the new one is 50. Got it from Titan Tanks.
The installation took just 2 1/2 hours with me and a buddy helping, pretty easy job.
It'll go over 600 miles between fills. Nice!

Tom Brown
11-30-2007, 07:01 AM
With your pumpkin sized prostate, why do you have a need for such long hauls between stops?

Rexone
11-30-2007, 07:20 AM
With your pumpkin sized prostate, why do you need for such long hauls between stops?
Tom perhaps he got the new auxiliary half gallon peinthabucket and quick release filler hose attachment that comes as an option with the 50 gallon tank. I'm just guessing here.

rrrr
11-30-2007, 05:11 PM
It's nice to see I have a fan club. :rolleyes:
:D :D

Tom Brown
12-04-2007, 01:49 PM
I hate to be topical but how did you calibrate the engine monitoring systems so your distance/fuel to empty works correctly?
I'd love to put a bigger tank on my Ford but don't want to lose the fancy-Dan telemetry.

rrrr
12-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I haven't been able to get the info for the change yet. The tank manufacturer is working on it. The new tank is the shit, I haven't filled up in 2 1/2 weeks...... :D :D
There is a procedure for older trucks on some truck forums.....whaddya got? I'll search it up for you.
How's that outhouse seat heater working out? :D

Ara
12-10-2007, 06:07 PM
I'd be interested in this too once they get the computer stuff sorted out. Mine shows empty after using only 24 gallons. I guess theres like a 6 gallon reserve.

rrrr
12-10-2007, 07:19 PM
I'd be interested in this too once they get the computer stuff sorted out. Mine shows empty after using only 24 gallons. I guess theres like a 6 gallon reserve.
This is how you fix that problem. The vent hose protrudes into the fuel, so the last six gallons have nowhere to vent. Pretty stupid. Before I changed the tank I would take five minutes to fill that last 6 gallons. :mad:
http://www.forgotton.net/diesel/intank/index.htm
BEFORE:
http://www.forgotton.net/diesel/intank/images/beforecut.jpg
AFTER:
http://www.forgotton.net/diesel/intank/images/tubescut.jpg
Not having the fuel computer is no big deal...the tank sending unit is accurate with the new tank. Just read the gauge like the old days....:D

Warlockjer
12-15-2007, 07:22 AM
I hate to be topical but how did you calibrate the engine monitoring systems so your distance/fuel to empty works correctly?
I'd love to put a bigger tank on my Ford but don't want to lose the fancy-Dan telemetry.
I installed a 50 gal aux tank in the bed. The computer thinks it is a 30 gallon tank. And I,m told there is nothing that can be done. The stock tank still works the same. Fuel mileage does suck tho.....

Ara
12-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Does the 50 gal replacement tank hang amy lower than the stock tank? Any clearance issues?

cc322
12-15-2007, 07:11 PM
With your pumpkin sized prostate, why do you have a need for such long hauls between stops?
What we really want to know is how do you know the size of his prostate????????:eek: :confused: :D

rrrr
12-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Does the 50 gal replacement tank hang amy lower than the stock tank? Any clearance issues?
It's a couple of inches lower....but still above other running gear so there's not much chance of damaging it. Most of the extra capacity is in the length, about 16" longer than the stock tank.
Titan sells a skid plate for the tank.
It also has a better vent system so you don't have to **** around getting the last few gallons in like the stock tank.
I just refilled for the first time, it sure is nice going a couple of weeks without buying fuel.
The $159 tab was a little tough to take, though.....:D

bp
12-17-2007, 04:31 PM
i had transfer flow install a 45 gallon (really 46) replacement last july, in my '05 dmax. they gave me a little chart for the fuel gauge. but i just go by the "fuel used" in the computer; just have to remember to reset it at each refill.

Reaper1
12-18-2007, 01:47 PM
I have the same 29-30 gallon tank in my F250 and could sure use that bigger tank when towing my 5th wheel. How much did you pay for the tank and does it work on a short bed?
Thanks

rrrr
12-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah, mine is a crew cab short bed. It cost nine hundy.
Not a lot considering the amount of my time it saves.

Reaper1
12-18-2007, 07:29 PM
10-4