PDA

View Full Version : Ski Racing Question - Boat Classes???

mondorally
11-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Can someone give me a generic breakdown of the different classes? I briefly read the rule book but would like to hear from a different source.
Most beneficial would be to list common boat/motor combo's for the various classes in addition to the rules/restrictions.
Finally, I have a 22' Schiada with a powerglide/#3 drive. Would this boat qualify for the Stock Boat Division? What motors are allowed? All I read is its limited to 502" for a Chevy and no mods to the factory installed carbs or injection or outdrive.
Thanks!

dirty old man
11-30-2007, 08:11 AM
I drove ski race boat years ago and we had both age/sex classes and a few boat classes such as stock day cruiser and jet. There is a national ski race site here, look it up. In those days, circle racing was limited to 21 foot boats, and marathon/Catalina was 39 foot, but there have been changes. The very best ski race boats back then were Schiada, Rayson and Hallett

mondorally
11-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I was checking out NWSRA.NET but was curious about some of the rules and hoping for some references/insight.

W.O.TMarine
11-30-2007, 01:59 PM
classes you could run with that boat are any age men or women, if it has back seat, carpet, and motor cover with no motor mods stock boat. social, (short ski 90' rope) hand out frount( race ski 200' line) pro social ruling on ski and 120' rope) must put sociall skis on in water. maybe unblown prop. and posible stock boat day cruiser.
for more info pm your # thanks

mondorally
11-30-2007, 02:03 PM
classes you could run with that boat are any age men or women, if it has back seat, carpet, and motor cover with no motor mods stock boat. social, (short ski 90' rope) hand out frount( race ski 200' line) pro social ruling on ski and 120' rope) must put sociall skis on in water. maybe unblown prop. and posible stock boat day cruiser.
for more info pm your # thanks
Thanks. Curious - what motors are considered stock - Mercruiser 496? 496HO? 500HP?

W.O.TMarine
12-18-2007, 03:39 PM
up to a 502, 525 hp. basicly no blowers, turbos, and big abvouse after market external parts. but big CI is ok in stock boat in stock day cruzer i think the limit is a 502

reb939
12-18-2007, 03:50 PM
mondorally:
What type of races are you looking to get into marathons or circles?

mondorally
12-18-2007, 04:05 PM
mondorally:
What type of races are you looking to get into marathons or circles?
Not sure. Doing research right now. I used to race rally cars (Group 2) and have the race bug again. I have a 22' Schiada I would like to use and hope once its setup I could run all season without huge maintenence bills.

Halvecta
12-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks. Curious - what motors are considered stock - Mercruiser 496? 496HO? 500HP?
Mondo-
The most important rule for stock class ends up to be: "Maximum attainable speed will be 70 mph."
This means the boat cannot run WOT at over 70 mph with no skier in tow. This is the primary limiting factor. All others become secondary.
Keep in mind, there are slight differences in rules for marathons vs. circle races.

mondorally
12-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Mondo-
The most important rule for stock class ends up to be: "Maximum attainable speed will be 70 mph."
This means the boat cannot run WOT at over 70 mph with no skier in tow. This is the primary limiting factor. All others become secondary.
Keep in mind, there are slight differences in rules for marathons vs. circle races.
So hypothetically I could rebuild my 468 to "stock" specs as specified as long as the boat runs under 70mph. I don't necessarily have to run a 525hp or a 496HO?

Halvecta
12-18-2007, 04:37 PM
So hypothetically I could rebuild my 468 to "stock" specs as specified as long as the boat runs under 70mph. I don't necessarily have to run a 525hp or a 496HO?
Yes.
I am not sure if they run stock class at marathons, but the circles I have been to in the past, they do not run stock day cruiser because of the length rule. Boat length is limited to 21' for circle races.
As I read it and have had it somewhat explained to me:
Stock Boat Class: Boat length 21' or under. (For non-outboards) As long as the block is not more than 502 and the top end is not obviously high performance, you should be ok. Keep in mind, you need full interior and carpet, engine cover and seating for at least 4.
Stock Day Cruiser Class: Boat length over 19'. Single engine with stock manifold and 850cfm max carb or factory installed EFI. The rule book states "thru transom water cooled exhaust manifolds (cast)". Must have full interior, carpeting and seating for 5.
I have only run a few races, and we are hoping to get out to many more this year. Stock class has been a fun race because of the equity in boats. I am like you, I like fun without having to rebuild after each race. If you like the sense of "racing", you will get a kick out of these, no matter what class you run.

reb939
12-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Not sure. Doing research right now. I used to race rally cars (Group 2) and have the race bug again. I have a 22' Schiada I would like to use and hope once its setup I could run all season without huge maintenence bills.
If you want to run in the circle races you need to be in "stock"boat class.
the way I understand the rule is your boat needs to measure under 21' unless you run stock boat. But we're trying to get new participants to the races so maybe they look the other way with your 22'
the racing format has changed this year so the marathon races are 30min. & the mini is only 20min.
PM me if you need help getting set up for the races.
Also post a pic of your boat so we know who to look out for:sqeyes:

mondorally
12-18-2007, 04:48 PM
the way I understand the rule is your boat needs to measure under 21' unless you run stock boat. But we're trying to get new participants to the races so maybe they look the other way with your 22'
the racing format has changed this year so the marathon races are 30min. & the mini is only 20min.
PM me if you need help getting set up for the races.
Also post a pic of your boat so we know who to look out for:sqeyes:
Here is a pic. I'm thinking with a rebuild to ditch the blower and a full hatch I should be close.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/tajh_ma_hill.jpg
I plan on checking out a few races and asking lots of questions to start. Thanks for all the help. What are you running? I'll make sure to stop by and introduce myself.

Halvecta
12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
reb
I just checked again and here is what the rule book says:
Boat size:
The maximum length of a boat boat must be less than 22'0'' as long as the boat model is sold commercially to the public by that particular manufacturer as a 21' model....(later in the paragraph) The stock boat class is an exception which has a 23' maximum length limit."
I am confused now:confused: , but whatever the case...bring it out!

reb939
12-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Here is a pic. I'm thinking with a rebuild to ditch the blower and a full hatch I should be close.
I plan on checking out a few races and asking lots of questions to start. Thanks for all the help. What are you running? I'll make sure to stop by and introduce myself.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg150/reb939/060312-06450.jpg?t=1198025927
I won't be running in stock boat

mondorally
12-18-2007, 05:09 PM
reb
I just checked again and here is what the rule book says:
Boat size:
The maximum length of a boat boat must be less than 22'0'' as long as the boat model is sold commercially to the public by that particular manufacturer as a 21' model....(later in the paragraph) The stock boat class is an exception which has a 23' maximum length limit."
I am confused now:confused: , but whatever the case...bring it out!
Honestly, the rule book left a bit desired for a newbie trying to decipher the code. But I'm definately going to keep researching. I think seeing the various boats in person will help as to what is allowed, what is "overlooked", and what is outright banned. But I definately have the bug!

reb939
12-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Honestly, the rule book left a bit desired for a newbie trying to decipher the code. But I'm definately going to keep researching. I think seeing the various boats in person will help as to what is allowed, what is "overlooked", and what is outright banned. But I definately have the bug!
Let me know. I can get you hooked up with the people who run the show.
you can find out from them what they will allow. they are pretty flexible