PDA

View Full Version : Shooting laws?

Froggystyle
11-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey folks...
I know this sounds ridiculous me asking it and all, but I honestly have no idea what the law is for shooting firearms in California. I researched the laws in Arizona and they are pretty specific about distance from a house or a road, what type of property it has to be etc... but can't find anything in specific about Cali.
What kind of land can you go out and target practice on? Assuming I know all of the safety concerns at hand, how do you go about finding a nice spot to go plink out here?
The only local shooting I have done has been on a range, and there was no reason to go anywhere else with the assets I had available to me.
Any input would be great.
Wes

Phat Matt
11-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Everything is illegal in California. :D

Riverkid
You can go to the California Fish & Game site for info. Make sure you don't "bad guns" onto BLM land (no AR's, etc)... :rolleyes:

Jbb
No shooting allowed.......even with revolutionary, infused stocks.....Next!

Froggystyle
11-30-2007, 09:40 AM
You can go to the California Fish & Game site for info. Make sure you don't "bad guns" onto BLM land (no AR's, etc)... :rolleyes:
Wow... there isn't anything on that site regarding target shooting... only game shooting and hunting.
I think it is safe to say that my rifles meet the criteria... they are .22LR's.

Froggystyle
11-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Do they look evil? Black is sinister, any hillary supporter can tell you that. Also, those things that go over the barrel deal with the holes? Scary. And a take down handle thing or a thing like pistols have...just evil.
Thought you should know.:D
They look evil, but they are legal. Just need to know where I can shoot them.

LOWRIVER2
11-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Wes,
look up the local BLM office in the county you are interested in. Make sure to get a Ranger on the phone and not a civilian. They usually will give you specific areas that are good to go to. There are a lot more areas in San Berdo. county than Riverside, but areas do still exist. If you have a pre ban weapon, it helps to have the registration with you but the Rangers can run the serial #'s in the field too.
Good luck

Mandelon
11-30-2007, 10:08 AM
I heard you can go out near Ocotillo, on the way to El Centro...Dunaway area maybe???

uvindex
11-30-2007, 10:14 AM
As Lowriver said, BLM is a good bet.
Their site has specific restrictions on specific areas. For example, here's a link to for a search of "firearm" specific to the California portion of the BLM site.
http://www.blm.gov/search/?query=firearm&adv=1&narrow=pr%3Aca&pr=&dropXSL=yes
Happy shooting to you. :)

BADBLOWN572
11-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, I got a pair of bracelets for shooting on Orange County about 5 months ago. Turns out that in Orange County, you are not allowed to fire ANY firearm within 1 mile of any structure that COULD be occupied by a person. :( It didn't matter that we were shooting on our own property, that the neighbors were shooting with us, that all of the weapons were registered, etc... :( Didn't matter that I have been shooting on our property for over 20 years, didn't matter that we were on our property with over 48 acres, etc... IT SUCKED!!! Talk about the worst first date in history. ;) :D

Froggystyle
11-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Just called the DOJ, Bureau of Firearms specifically and talked to a great contact named Brett there in Sacramento.
He essentially said that the laws are defined by where you can't go, not where you can... which is stupid but whatever. He gave me the following four major "dont's"
1) Don't shoot in a National Park
2) Dont shoot in a National Recreation Area
3) Don't shoot in a State Park
4) Don't shoot in a State Recreation Area
You need to be 100 feet from a road... any road... paved or not.
Best bet is BLM land, and in that case call the Ranger ahead of time and verify. If you want to shoot on forrest service land, do so only after calling the Forrestry Service.
Pretty simple...

Jbb
11-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Lol....I just kick open the back door.....lock and load...and start shootin.....Hey.....hand me another beer.....Kalifornians....lol:D

Old Texan
11-30-2007, 10:31 AM
In Texas they suggest you go outside, but not absolutely necessary.....:devil:

Baja Big Dog
11-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Hey Wes...post up some pic's...how did they turn out????

robk
11-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Here are a few maps I found while researching the same question. I have no idea how old/accurate they are. All of the advice I've received says to check with the BLM and SO before shooting.
http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/sb-co-shoot-map-sw-desert.jpg
http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/sb-co-shoot-map-nw.jpg
Rob

Baja Big Dog
11-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Also, if you want to sight them in most indoor pistol ranges will let you shoot 22 rifles..http://***boat.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
:D

Trailer Park Casanova
11-30-2007, 11:20 AM
When camping, we check in with the local BLM office to find out the rules and regs at that particular site.
Calif City up untill recently was wide open, now some restrictions.
Believe it or not, Dumont Dunes is open to some shooting, but even the mere online mention of it brings out the haters.

Dave C
11-30-2007, 11:26 AM
If I'm not mistaken, this guy is 100% correct.
Oh BTW, don't carry a loaded firearm in Cali..... that is really illegal!!....
Everything is illegal in California. :D

Cheap Thrills
11-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Lol....I just kick open the back door.....lock and load...and start shootin.....Hey.....hand me another beer.....Kalifornians....lol:D
Yeeup That's the way we do it. :D
T.

Flyinbowtie
11-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Froggy;
Just info FWIW, most of the "rural" cities and counties in California have local ordinances regarding shooting that can be a helluva lot more restrictive than state law. As the city has moved to the country, it has brought its problems with it.
In this area, the "boilerplate" of the ordinances usually includes things about distance from homes/structures, writtne permission from property owner if it ain't yours, safe backstop, daylight only, etc, etc, etc.
The next thing we are going to face is the same stuff all commercial ranges are dealing with, that of lead contamination from expended rounds.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you don't have face to face contact with a source who is giving you permisssion, make sure you get a name. This crap is getting out of control.

Froggystyle
11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Froggy;
Just info FWIW, most of the "rural" cities and counties in California have local ordinances regarding shooting that can be a helluva lot more restrictive than state law. As the city has moved to the country, it has brought its problems with it.
In this area, the "boilerplate" of the ordinances usually includes things about distance from homes/structures, writtne permission from property owner if it ain't yours, safe backstop, daylight only, etc, etc, etc.
The next thing we are going to face is the same stuff all commercial ranges are dealing with, that of lead contamination from expended rounds.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you don't have face to face contact with a source who is giving you permisssion, make sure you get a name. This crap is getting out of control.
Thanks,
Nobody can even seem to direct me to a map that shows BLM boundaries for me to check with! Seems like the days of camping and shooting in SoCal are over with.
Bummer.
But, we can head east or Northeast and get it done I guess...
Back to the Great Basin of Nevada it looks like! :D

WestTNRiverRat
11-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Just shoot an e-mail to Ms. Pelosi's office asking for that information. :D :D
Gun Control = Staying on target. :D

delemorte
11-30-2007, 12:47 PM
here is a suggestion. move to a guin freindly state.. God Bless the South!!!!
Southerns FTW!!!!

clownpuncher
11-30-2007, 01:16 PM
I"m sure you have a few friends in LE. Just ask them. With your background/experience they might even direct you to locations that are off-limits, but, allow you to shoot without any issues. Works for me out here. Hell, some of em even go with me and bring their fun guns to play with.

superdave013
11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Just called the DOJ, Bureau of Firearms specifically and talked to a great contact named Brett there in Sacramento.
He essentially said that the laws are defined by where you can't go, not where you can... which is stupid but whatever. He gave me the following four major "dont's"
1) Don't shoot in a National Park
2) Dont shoot in a National Recreation Area
3) Don't shoot in a State Park
4) Don't shoot in a State Recreation Area
You need to be 100 feet from a road... any road... paved or not.
Best bet is BLM land, and in that case call the Ranger ahead of time and verify. If you want to shoot on forrest service land, do so only after calling the Forrestry Service.
Pretty simple...
no shooting across rivers or streams (or Lockwood creek for the matter) either.
And jeep trails are roads (at least Lockwood Creek is).
Oh, and they can donk you for shooting out of a campsite. (like the ones along lockwood creek).

Classic Daycruiser
11-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Basically, I start driving out of town until I find a road without houses (use to be 5 miles, now more like 60 miles). Drive down road until you find a spot with many empty shell casings and targets (old cars, washing machines, or anything that looks like it will be fun to shoot at). We usually stop by a farmers market on the way out, and pick up a few boxes of old rotting fruit and veggies behind the market (a $20 bill will pack the your trunk of your car). These places are also know as shooting galleries
Be sure to pick up your trash before you leave. The old fruit will feed the wildlife in the area:D

djunkie
11-30-2007, 02:07 PM
no shooting across rivers or streams (or Lockwood creek for the matter) either.
And jeep trails are roads (at least Lockwood Creek is).
Oh, and they can donk you for shooting out of a campsite. (like the ones along lockwood creek).
Nice!!!! Is this the Lockwood Creek up in Frazier? If so I've killed many Quail there. :D :D

djunkie
11-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Basically, I start driving out of town until I find a road without houses (use to be 5 miles, now more like 60 miles). Drive down road until you find a spot with many empty shell casings and targets (old cars, washing machines, or anything that looks like it will be fun to shoot at). We usually stop by a farmers market on the way out, and pick up a few boxes of old rotting fruit and veggies behind the market (a $20 bill will pack the your trunk of your car). These places are also know as shooting galleries
Be sure to pick up your trash before you leave. The old fruit will feed the wildlife in the area:D
And give them the runs. :D :D

superdave013
11-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Nice!!!! Is this the Lockwood Creek up in Frazier? If so I've killed many Quail there. :D :D
yes, we were sitting at one of those little camp areas plinking at stuff (trash that was already there) on the other side of the creek. Well Mr. Ranger told us of the errors of our ways. Then went on to tell us he would let us slide if we picked up all the "targets" (trash) on the other side of said creek. He even gave us the trash bags. lol
His creek got cleaned and we didn't have to pay a fine.

voodoomedman
11-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah it's much easier to just go out in the desert when in Havasu than target practice here.

Froggystyle
11-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah it's much easier to just go out in the desert when in Havasu than target practice here.
When I am in the desert in Havasu.... I didn't go there to shoot! :D

voodoomedman
11-30-2007, 04:01 PM
True. But I have a house there and the firearms come out during the winter. I do nothing other than boat when the weather is right. This is a good thread because I would like to find some places around here too because I am tired of having to pay for everything that used to and should be free if done responsibly. I was just saying how easy it is to do in Havasu. There's such little available land here that everybody uses it so there are restrictions on guns. For instance Stoddard Valley and such you can hunt I think so you can use shotguns but since everybody uses it for offroading too then rifles or handguns are prohibited.

beaverretriever
11-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Wes, just cruise up to Vegas and you shoot some of my stuff. We belong to a great range and have tons of BLM as well. The only thing that you are not allowed to shoot at our range is pretty much a .50. We go out to BLM if we want to shoot those.
Next time you are out, we will have to go. I am sure STVKeith, Daly and I would love to go plinking with ya.:)
New AR I just finished. Breakin it in out on some beautiful open country (BLM).
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2228/2064153722_f4fdc5bcf4.jpg?v=0

rrrr
11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Move to Texas.......shoot wherever you want. :D :D
This is a post on the City of Frisco's website by the Chief of Police, posted August 31st. You can legally hunt dove in the city limits......:D :D
Frisco is where photo chick lives, just a few miles from me....population about 90,000....... :D
http://qanda.ci.frisco.tx.us/discus/messages/1/1.html
In anticipation of complaints from citizens regarding the Dove Hunting that will commence at dawn tomorrow, I wanted everyone to be aware of a new law passed in the last legislative session.
It effectively allows hunting in most of our city on tracts of 10 acres or more. Most of Frisco was not annexed in 1981, so the below bill would apply.
SB 734:
Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A
municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge
of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction
of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after
September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:
(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and
arrow discharged:
(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and
more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on
another property; and
(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause
a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or
(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any
caliber discharged:
(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and
more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on
another property; and
(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause
a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

NashvilleBound
11-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Isnt the valley past Kitchen Creek... (La Posta??? ) off the 5 going East still open? That was about the best site out there.

scooooter7
11-30-2007, 07:23 PM
I went and watched my son shoot a while back, it was down by Dodger Stadium. He only had to hit the target most of the time to qualify.

Phat Matt
11-30-2007, 07:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken, this guy is 100% correct.
Oh BTW, don't carry a loaded firearm in Cali..... that is really illegal!!....
Even the people that live here are illegal. :D

rrrr
11-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Okay Wes,
www.carrizocreekrange.org
Carrizo Creek Public Use Land in Jacumba.
This ought to be fairly close for you and it's legal.
Here's a map.
Hey, there should be plenty of targets that close to the border.......:jawdrop: :D

77charger
11-30-2007, 08:44 PM
all depends on where you fo to to shoot.i shoot my ar on blm land and have not had any probs rangers said as long as gun is legally owned(aw registered with the state,etc)you are fine.I checked with the head ranger for the district when the registration law took effect in 2000.
It is up to the district some may be a go others a no.:confused:
let me know if you want to go for a shoot its only about a 2 hr drive and a good area targets can go from close to pretty far thats when the handloads come into play for the ar15(69sierra match kings)or the 300win mag we usually do camping trip for the weekend but havent done too many lately everyones always busy including myself but been thinking of going next month

Baja Big Dog
11-30-2007, 09:29 PM
:D :D :D LOL
I was gonna suggest that Wes mosey down to Tecate where a friend has a home right on the border. His target range sorta points in a southerly direction. LOL. I figgered I'd get blasted for that comment.
Rio
You would get blasted, for not sending us the focking MAP!!!!:D

Froggystyle
11-30-2007, 10:02 PM
It's stuff like this BS, combined with having no freshwater access during the week, and when I do it is on a 35 mph puddle that makes me want to pull up stakes and move to Henderson or Glendale....

voodoomedman
11-30-2007, 10:27 PM
It's stuff like this BS, combined with having no freshwater access during the week, and when I do it is on a 35 mph puddle that makes me want to pull up stakes and move to Henderson or Glendale....
That's one reason why I am pulling stakes just as soon as the time is right.