PDA

View Full Version : Report: Gunmen Target Tourists In Baja Calif.

RitcheyRch
12-02-2007, 11:54 AM
One more reason to not go down there.
http://cbs2.com/local/Gunmen.Tourists.Baja.2.600378.html
Well-armed masked bandits have been attacking tourists in Baja California.
The Los Angeles Times says at least seven attacks have been reported in recent months. An Encinitas woman says she was sexually assaulted in front of her boyfriend during an assault in October.
An El Cajon family says nearly a dozen men held them hostage last month in a carjacking. They finally crossed back into the US with just the clothes on their back.
US officials say they're not sure if the attacks are a trend but note the border area has long been listed as a place where tourists need to be careful.
Meanwhile, Tijuana's new mayor is promising to create a special police force to patrol the coastal highway and keep tourists safe.

RitcheyRch
12-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Cash only :D
And, they don't take American Express.

westair
12-02-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't see any reason to go down there anymore ..... it used to be fun when things were cheap (beer) but now its just as expensive as here!!

RitcheyRch
12-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Same with the hookers. :D :eek: :jawdrop:
I don't see any reason to go down there anymore ..... it used to be fun when things were cheap (beer) but now its just as expensive as here!!

boatsntoys
12-02-2007, 12:48 PM
With sentiment towards illegal aliens changing here, it's only going to get worse down there.

RitcheyRch
12-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Think you might be right on with that.
With sentiment towards illegal aliens changing here, it's only going to get worse down there.

Mohave Vice
12-02-2007, 01:07 PM
This is so true. Have no desire to go into Mexico any more.

hava life
12-02-2007, 01:19 PM
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=15497
If the NAFTA superhighway goes we will have all the banditos in the U.S.:mad:

westair
12-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Its always been bad down there, this is nothing new. At least their police dept is a LITTLE more legit now than they used to be.

vee-driven
12-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Why go to mexico when there is soooo many shit places here in so. cal to visit.

boatsntoys
12-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Why go to mexico when there is soooo many shit places here in so. cal to visit.
We have traveled the world! Theres no place like home!

12-02-2007, 02:05 PM
and the 1st day of the new mayor he is shot at how long will his
3yr term last hell in san diego we call in northern baja calif

rmarion
12-02-2007, 02:21 PM
that was the abreviated verison of.......
By Richard Marosi, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
December 1, 2007
TIJUANA -- The Hall family was driving back to California on the foggy coastal highway when a car flashing red lights and blaring its siren pulled up behind them. A police shakedown, thought Debra Hall as her husband, Christopher, veered to the side of the dark road.
Having made many trips to Baja California, they knew a payoff was just part of the price of a visit. This time, returning from the Baja 1000 off-road race, they figured $40 would suffice and they'd be back at their El Cajon home within an hour.
Instead, several heavily armed, masked men surrounded their truck and trailer and pointed guns at their heads, the start of an hours-long assault that ended with Debra, Christopher and their two children running for their lives through the hills.
The Hall family's ordeal last week was the latest in a string of assaults against Americans that has shocked longtime visitors and severely undercut a recent anti-crime initiative aimed at polishing Baja California's image as a tourist-friendly destination. In a region where most visitors expect the occasional extortion attempt by police, the recent crime wave has seen attacks become more aggressive, often carried out by heavily armed men operating with paramilitary-style precision.
Surfers have been assaulted at gunpoint on beaches and at campgrounds. One woman was sexually assaulted. Expensive trucks, trailers and boats have been carjacked.
At least seven assaults in the past few months have been reported in the media or on websites of Baja surfing and fishing groups. The State Department, which has a consulate in Tijuana where citizens can report crimes, said a long-standing travel alert remains in effect for border regions.
It's not clear whether the incidents are isolated or represent a trend, said Michele Bond, the department's deputy assistant secretary for Overseas Citizens Services.
But the crime wave is enough to frighten some longtime visitors, including surf club owners who have canceled operations and some prominent off-road racers who may not compete in future Baja events.
Most of the assaults have occurred at night in the coastal area between Tijuana and San Quintin, a 190-mile stretch dotted with surf beaches, campgrounds, resorts and golf courses.
Surf school owner Pat Weber, of Encinitas, and his girlfriend, Lori Hoffman, were assaulted in October in their recreational vehicle within sight of 30 other campsites on a beach south of Ensenada.
Two masked assailants shot up the vehicle when Weber initially refused to open the door. For the next 45 minutes, the men terrorized the couple, who had gone to Mexico after evacuating their home during the wildfires.
Hoffman said she was sexually assaulted in front of her boyfriend. Then the men made off with $8,000 worth of laptops, jewelry, tools and other items. One of the men disappeared into the night with Weber's acoustic guitar slung over his shoulder.
"These guys were not novices," said Hoffman, who noted the attackers' creased pants, combat boots and sharpshooting skills. The incident was reported to Ensenada police.
Many experts say the timing of the crime wave is curious, coming just ahead of a change in administrations in Tijuana. Critics say former Mayor Jorge Hank Rhon bloated the police payroll with unqualified and corrupt cops.
With rumors flying that the new mayor, Jorge Ramos, whose term begins today, will fire hundreds of police, some rogue cops may be going on a last-minute crime spree, say some observers.
Ramos said one of his first acts as mayor will be to create a special tourist police force -- with different uniforms and cars than municipal police -- that will patrol the coastal highway, in effect, policing the police.
"Whatever it takes, it'll be done," said Oscar Escobedo Carignan, Baja's new secretary of tourism. Escobedo said the state remains a safe travel destination. "I don't want to downplay what happened. We take it seriously. And we're making every effort to control it."
But promises of a crackdown won't convince the Halls to return to Mexico.
Christopher and Debra, along with their 16-year-old son and 21-year-old daughter, were returning home from Los Cabos about 1 a.m. after participating in the Baja 1000. The family had driven the length of the peninsula many times, so when the siren blared behind them as they entered Tijuana, they thought nothing of it.
"We weren't concerned at all. . . . You kind of expect it. It's part of the culture," Debra said.
Within seconds, about 10 men spilled out of two cars, she said. Five jumped in their 2007 Ford F-250 and pointed guns at their heads. Themendrove the car into the hills, ordering the family to keep their heads down.
The men stopped in an isolated area and started stealing everything they could: watches, bracelets, $1,100 in cash, Debra's wedding ring. Other men tore out the toolbox in the truck bed and rummaged through the 27-foot trailer.
One man, speaking perfect English, told them to kneel. Their son was singled out for rough treatment, Debra said. "They shoved his face in the dirt. I thought he was going to get executed right there."
Debra crawled over and covered her son with her body. "He was crying, and I was crying. I told him I loved him. He told me he loved me," she said. The men huddled the family together and threw two sleeping bags at them. Then they sped off with the truck and trailer. Shivering from cold and fright, the Halls made their way down the dark, barren hills above the beach.
When they walked toward a light at a construction site, a man -- possibly a security guard -- fired two shots, Debra said. They eventually made it into a neighborhood and rang doorbells until a woman answered and phoned the police.
The police, whom Debra said were attentive and "very nice," drove them to the border and hugged them. The family walked up to the border crossing at San Ysidro with only their flip-flops and the clothes on their backs. A customs inspector let them in the country without their identification, she said.
Debra, like many other recent victims, said the experience won't diminish her love of the country and its people. She said the family had enjoyed decades of visiting Baja California, where restaurant owners knew their names, town mayors treated them to barbecues and bartenders knew how to make their favorite margaritas.
But the family's south-of-the-border excursions are over.
"We've made many friends," Debra said. "I'm going to miss those people."
richard.marosi@latimes.com

42' johnny
12-02-2007, 02:25 PM
If the NAFTA superhighway goes we will have all the banditos in the U.S.
At least up here I can have my firearms to give a special welcome.:devil:

CARLSON-JET
12-02-2007, 02:45 PM
If the NAFTA superhighway goes we will have all the banditos in the U.S.:mad:
NAAAHH... That's just a consipracy. There is no such thing or plans for a North American Union or superhighway. The CFR ( Council of Foreign Relations) and SPP (Security and Prosperity Partnership) are there to make quality improvements in all our lives. I know this must be true as 6 of the Republicans standing on stage of the last debate say so. :devil:
I see more then enough of mexico in this country and have been for the last 20 years. No need to go south of our almost nonexsistant border.

slotracer
12-02-2007, 03:18 PM
i never did understand why anyone would go to a shithole like mexico knowing what the people are like down there.