PDA

View Full Version : Scanner - What is the best these days?

Rexone
12-02-2007, 07:34 PM
I need to get a new scanner as mine is ancient and only works on an aging NT4 machine which I'm retiring.
What is a good flatbed scanner these days with hi rez for scanning original prints for print media?
I run all XP Pro now on all 12 workstations and have a couple real fast machines in the group which the scanner would be hooked to one of.

YeLLowBoaT
12-02-2007, 07:47 PM
what resolution do you need? If you don't need much, lots of choices... it you need something super high res very few. I know several graphic artest/ printers that sware by fijitsu( not cheap they start at 400, but they are fast) and epson.

Kindsvater Flat
12-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Uniden makes some good ones.

yopengo
12-02-2007, 08:16 PM
I love my Epson.
Recent scan...:D Not bad for a 3D medal.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44303&stc=1&d=1196655168

Rexone
12-02-2007, 08:36 PM
I need hi rez.
My old Umax powerlook 2000 is 1000x2000 dpi (http://www.umax.com/support/knowledge/specifications.jsp?model=PowerLook+2000). I want something in that range of quality.
Many years ago it was $2500. So a few hundred by today's standards isn't an issue.
I was just wondering what those in graphic arts fields were using today (those that don't have drum scanners which I can't afford).

sanger rat
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
A new Scanner for the new catalog?:idea: :D

572Daytona
12-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I've been looking around for a while and finally picked up an Epson V500 since Epson currently is offering a $50 rebate on that model so I got it for around $150. I really wanted the V700 but it was quite a bit more (around $500). I haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces but I've like what I've seen so far.
Canon is another good choice, my previous scanner was a Canon 5000F which I'm still using and I've had good luck with it, but I have a lot of slides I need to scan and the Canon can only handle 2 at a time while the Epson handles 4.
Before that I had a Umax which I wouldn't recommend.
Here's a link to the Epson on Newegg, I bought mine from Tigerdirect but I don't see it listed on their website now so it must be out of stock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838110020
Edit - Just noticed you were looking for higher end models so the Epson V700/V750 may be more suitable, or if you have lots of $$$ to spend go for a Nikon. Here's a good review I read of the V700 which compared it to a high end Nikon and Canon scanner:
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V700/page_1.htm

Rexone
12-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I forgot to mention that I need to do slides and transparencies also. I'm assuming the high end models have transparency capability or options. I really have not started looking yet, thought I'd get some recommendations first from some of you guys who have already had experience with this stuff.

Rexone
12-02-2007, 09:45 PM
I've been looking around for a while and finally picked up an Epson V500 since Epson currently is offering a $50 rebate on that model so I got it for around $150. I really wanted the V700 but it was quite a bit more (around $500). I haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces but I've like what I've seen so far.
Canon is another good choice, my previous scanner was a Canon 5000F which I'm still using and I've had good luck with it, but I have a lot of slides I need to scan and the Canon can only handle 2 at a time while the Epson handles 4.
Before that I had a Umax which I wouldn't recommend.
Here's a link to the Epson on Newegg, I bought mine from Tigerdirect but I don't see it listed on their website now so it must be out of stock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838110020
Edit - Just noticed you were looking for higher end models so the Epson V700/V750 may be more suitable, or if you have lots of $$$ to spend go for a Nikon. Here's a good review I read of the V700 which compared it to a high end Nikon and Canon scanner:
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V700/page_1.htm
I just looked over the V750 pro and the V700 and the reviews on both. One of these very may well do the job for what I need. I really don't need the bundled software that looks like a main advantage (and addl cost) of the 750 cause I use Photoshop anyway but it appears the scanner is slightly better too because of the optical coatings. hmmm.

572Daytona
12-03-2007, 05:30 AM
I just looked over the V750 pro and the V700 and the reviews on both. One of these very may well do the job for what I need. I really don't need the bundled software that looks like a main advantage (and addl cost) of the 750 cause I use Photoshop anyway but it appears the scanner is slightly better too because of the optical coatings. hmmm.
Yeah too bad they don't have an unbundled version of the 750 for a bit more than the 700. They did say in the 750 review that they would probably go with the 700 unless you needed the software. But then again it appears that you only buy a scanner once every 10 years, so the extra cost of the 750 isn't a big deal if you break it down per year of use. Personally I would love either, being able to scan 12 slides at a time would be a time saver for mem but since it's mainly for personal use it's hard to justify the cost.

skyskier
12-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Consider one that will scan 11 x 17 inches if doing catalogs. DO NOT assume ALL scanners come with the negative/slide adapter. I use a microtek scanmaker 6400 XL for 11 x 17 that did not come with the adapter. I bought another scanner, HP, at staples for about $150 comes with everything to do up to 4x5 negs, a 35 mm slide holder that carries 12 slides or 24 35 mm negs. It is rather slow when doing the negs & slides as it reads each one seperately. Takes about 6 minutes to read 12 slides.

Riverdog1
12-03-2007, 10:32 AM
I need to get a new scanner as mine is ancient and only works on an aging NT4 machine which I'm retiring.
What is a good flatbed scanner these days with hi rez for scanning original prints for print media?
I run all XP Pro now on all 12 workstations and have a couple real fast machines in the group which the scanner would be hooked to one of.
Fujitsu and Ricoh make the best. If you have fast copiers at the office, you may be able to add scanning as an option and would be a faster, more reliable solution. I do this for a living, PM me and I can get you what you anything need.

HammerDown
12-03-2007, 11:28 AM
A new Scanner for the new catalog?:idea: :D
vs the last new one from 10 years ago? :D