PDA

View Full Version : A new career....

Cole
12-03-2007, 07:57 AM
After nearly 4 years in the mortgage field I need to find a new career!!
I bought and sold a few homes and that was a pain in the azz!!
I have tested a few new businesses, appllied for management/F&I positions at some RV dealers(a field that I used to be in a few years ago) but I dont like the idea of working weekends, I have 5 and 7 year old boys, and I need my weekends for them...along with some river time...lol.
Any ideas??

Jbb
12-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Carny.....Barking for the Yak Woman...

OSidePat
12-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Hamburger University

SummerBreeze
12-03-2007, 09:45 AM
How about running for President?

Outnumbered
12-03-2007, 10:57 AM
You sound like my long lost twin brother. We have a very similar story. I started a thread on this a while back after getting a little frustrated. I have been working on a few new business ideas which are for the most part recession-proof. I have been keeping busy with mortgage/appraisal work but it is much slower than it has been. Having been through this same cycle in the 1990's I'm more frustrated and burned out than busted. I knew this was coming. I can ride this out but don't really want to. So I will be starting a new biz here in the next few months, just not sure which plan I'm going to go with.
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

HM
12-03-2007, 12:00 PM
What were you doing before real estate/mortgages?

Cole
12-03-2007, 12:14 PM
What were you doing before real estate/mortgages?
RV rentals for about 10 years

INSman
12-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Insurance is for the most part a "recession proof" business and has done well by me, but no get rich quick opportunity.

Cole Trickle
12-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Insurance is for the most part a "recession proof" business and has done well by me, but no get rich quick opportunity.
:( :( :(
If I would have been in the mortgage businees for the past 10 years instead of Insurance I could afford to be un employed...lol;):jawdrop:

Outnumbered
12-03-2007, 12:43 PM
If I would have been in the mortgage businees for the past 10 years instead of Insurance I could afford to be un employed...lol;):jawdrop:
Most people in the business cannot "pace themselves" like that. They think the wave will last forever and spend it all before the wave crashes. Most of the guys that started after 2000 have never seen what is going on right now and don't know how to adapt. Some peeps like HM and Loco Gringo seem to have found a niche and are doing well according to what they have posted. If you (Cole) really want to stay in the business there are ways to make money in this market. You just have to totally change your approach. I am just ready for a change period, so who knows were that will lead.

HM
12-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Most people in the business cannot "pace themselves" like that. They think the wave will last forever and spend it all before the wave crashes. Most of the guys that started after 2000 have never seen what is going on right now and don't know how to adapt. Some peeps like HM and Loco Gringo seem to have found a niche and are doing well according to what they have posted. If you (Cole) really want to stay in the business there are ways to make money in this market. You just have to totally change your approach. I am just ready for a change period, so who knows were that will lead.
The niches are nice, but they are very slow right now. I did major down sizing this year...went from 4 locations to one and I am pretty much the only producer on the investment/insurance side, and I still have 2 loan officers on the mortgage side but they are struggling. I also started doing more staple insurance stuff like disability, key man policies, buy out agreement policies, payroll deducted IRA's and etc. People are very conservative now, even if they have money.
My new business plan (as of the beginning of this month) is much more mainstream product/services focused. I really try not to "pitch" any strategies. The niches are more tools for when the right person comes along...and that right person actually has money.

BoneDaddy
12-03-2007, 01:26 PM
I have had my feelers out for a while now too. I have actually run into quite a few people that are going to start selling insurance. It seems that insurance may turn into the next "Real Estate" market where everyone and their mother is an Agent? IMO

USCFAN
12-03-2007, 01:49 PM
I call bullshit! My kids swear you are rich.:D :D

INSman
12-04-2007, 06:36 AM
You and me both... My high school buddy works for WAMU and his office was cranking out 60-90 million a month for years on end and they get paid $6k per million, so you do the math on what him and his partner were making :eek: :eek: :mad:
He is fairly conservative and made some good investments and socked away a bunch of $$ in deferred comp, but he has to be making a ton less these days but who the fock cares when you might have made over a mill a year for close to the last 10 years :confused:

INSman
12-04-2007, 06:37 AM
I call bullshit! My kids swear you are rich.:D :D
I may be but I ain't supportin' em :D