PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Lanyard Wear for Nevada Boaters

SummerBreeze
12-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Yep,
I just got my Registration renewal for my boat and there is some new laws for NV boats
Life jackets mandatory for kids 12 and under
Mandatory Lanyard wear
But not required if trolling for fish or docking maneuvers under the no wake speed. Effective Oct. 1st 2007
I wonder if it is just in Nevada waters?? or if your boat is reg in Nv these new laws apply:idea: at other lakes??

deltarat
12-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Yep,
I just got my Registration renewal for my boat and there is some new laws for NV boats
Mandatory Lanyard wear
But not required if trolling for fish or docking maneuvers under the no wake speed. Effective Oct. 1st 2007
I wonder if it is just in Nevada waters?? or if your boat is reg in Nv these new laws apply:idea: at other lakes??
I am sorry but I do not see anything wrong with this at all.

rrrr
12-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Just as some adults are too stupid to make their kids wear seatbelts, I routinely see kids 12 and under without PFDs. It's unfortunate when the state has to make laws to replace parenting, but they're needed.
I guess the lanyard is a good idea. I never wear one, but I know two people that were almost killed (in separate incidents) by a circling boat with no one it it. Have to think about that one. :idea:

desertbird
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Is this going to be a requirement for NV reg'd boats, or all boats on NV waters? I think a lot of boats with aftermarket offshore style controls may not even have a lanyard kill switch at all! I know that Mercury integrates them into the combo throttle/drive arms, but I can't recall seeing something for the offshore controls?
This page only talks about PWC's. http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/statelaws/Nevada.html

OnlyMoney
12-03-2007, 10:27 AM
boatus.org doesn't have the complete info. This is from the NDOW.org:
NRS 488.585 Operation of motorboat in excess of certain speed prohibited unless engine cut-off switch is present, connected and operating properly; attachment of engine cut-off switch link.
1. A person who owns or controls a motorboat that is equipped with an engine cut-off switch shall not operate or authorize another person to operate the motorboat at a rate of speed greater than 5 nautical miles per hour if the engine cut-off switch or engine cut-off switch link is missing, disconnected or not operating properly.
2. A person shall not operate a motorboat that is equipped with an engine cut-off switch at a rate of speed greater than 5 nautical miles per hour unless the engine cut-off switch link is attached to his body, clothing or personal flotation device.
3. As used in this section:
(a) “Engine cut-off switch” means a switch that automatically stops the engine of a motorboat if activated by an engine cut-off switch link.
(b) “Engine cut-off switch link” means a device that, if attached to an operator, activates an engine cut-off switch if the operator is separated from the motorboat. The term includes a lanyard or other mechanical device and a wireless cut-off device.
(c) “Wireless cut-off device” means an engine cut-off switch link that transmits an electromagnetic signal to an engine cut-off switch.
(Added to NRS by 2007, 405)

lalhc
12-03-2007, 10:31 AM
My son is 14 and I still make him wear his life-jacket when the boat is moving.

Quality Time
12-03-2007, 10:32 AM
but I can't recall seeing something for the offshore controls?http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/statelaws/Nevada.html
I have two, one for each motor, and they are mounted on the dash. Standard Mercury and yes, I always have my lanyards on. I modified a jet-ski wrist strap to my lanyards and wrap around the sticks forcing me to put it on before I can put the boat in gear. It's become so routine, that I don't even think about putting them on anymore.
There is a thread over on OSO regarding a 35' Formula that went 500 feet up a beach because the driver was thrown and didn't have lanyards on. It can happen in non-performance boats as well.
Wear your lanyards:)

Zaairman
12-03-2007, 10:37 AM
What about all of us guys with old boats that don't have lanyards? :confused:

Mohave Vice
12-03-2007, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=Zaairman;2924079]What about all of us guys with old boats that don't have lanyards
Good question!

OnlyMoney
12-03-2007, 10:47 AM
I think it says clearly:
A person who owns or controls a motorboat that is equipped with an engine cut-off switch shall not operate or authorize another person to operate the motorboat at a rate of speed greater than 5 nautical miles per hour if the engine cut-off switch or engine cut-off switch link is missing, disconnected or not operating properly.
2. A person shall not operate a motorboat that is equipped with an engine cut-off switch at a rate of speed greater than 5 nautical miles per hour unless the engine cut-off switch link is attached to his body, clothing or personal flotation device.
You guys are free and clear!

Zaairman
12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
I think it says clearly:
Whoops... *note to self* Don't hit reply button, then take 20 mins to type reply. :idea:

SummerBreeze
12-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I think it says clearly:
A person who owns or controls a motorboat that is equipped with an engine cut-off switch shall not operate or authorize another person to operate the motorboat at a rate of speed greater than 5 nautical miles per hour if the engine cut-off switch or engine cut-off switch link is missing, disconnected or not operating properly.
Thats what I thought too.
Most newer boats come equipped with a engine cut off switch. But now you could be cited if you don't wear it

Moneypitt
12-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Every watercraft should have one. They are not expensive, nor hard to install. Cheap insurance for you and your passengers. Buy it, install it, use it.......MP

Boatcop
12-03-2007, 11:31 AM
This is what we use:
http://www.powerboatsafety.com/vlunit.asp
http://www.powerboatsafety.com/images/vl_package_02_310px.jpg

rrrr
12-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Thass pretty cool......think I'll get one.

OCMerrill
12-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Just as some adults are too stupid to make their kids wear seatbelts, I routinely see kids 12 and under without PFDs. It's unfortunate when the state has to make laws to replace parenting, but they're needed.
I guess the lanyard is a good idea. I never wear one, but I know two people that were almost killed (in separate incidents) by a circling boat with no one it it. Have to think about that one. :idea:
Hell we make our kids wear PFD's even when were on shore playing about. Believe or not I have had fellow River goers tell us we are over reacting as they stand there drunk and have no apparent clue where there own kid is.

Riverdog1
12-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Hell we make our kids wear PFD's even when were on shore playing about. Believe or not I have had fellow River goers tell us we are over reacting as they stand there drunk and have no apparent clue where there own kid is.
You can get them for around $40 bucks that hook to your life jacket

rrrr
12-03-2007, 12:15 PM
I watch people letting their small kids play in the water at the lake while they get drunk and pay no attention.....just amazes me they are so careless.
If a kid disappears under the water, even if it's only two feet deep, you can't see them. It's not a bathtub. They will drown.

Moneypitt
12-03-2007, 01:28 PM
You can get them for around $40 bucks that hook to your life jacket
Maybe Rex will run a special pre spring sale on the basic ones.........MP

2Driver
12-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Our son is 6 and has been in swim class or a swim team since he was 6 months old. He takes his life jacket off when we get back in the truck.

OCMerrill
12-03-2007, 03:11 PM
I watch people letting their small kids play in the water at the lake while they get drunk and pay no attention.....just amazes me they are so careless.
If a kid disappears under the water, even if it's only two feet deep, you can't see them. It's not a bathtub. They will drown.
Our son is 6 and has been in swim class or a swim team since he was 6 months old. He takes his life jacket off when we get back in the truck.
Both my kids also swim like fish but sense as a parent I have become aware that I need 8 eyes to even watch one kid...:)
With the newer Neoprene Vests (good comfort) there is just no reason for them to be without.
Even if I was only 10' away may end up being 9' to far.
Our Lab even wears one while in the boat.
I dont have a lanyard. I like what boatcop posted and I should install something even if its just a basic lanyard switch.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/DSC01046.JPG

OCMerrill
12-03-2007, 03:14 PM
This is what we use:
http://www.powerboatsafety.com/vlunit.asp
http://www.powerboatsafety.com/images/vl_package_02_310px.jpg
Baller! :D :D
As bad as I am with diving in with cell phones and car remotes still in pockets I would need to purchase those fobs by the case. :D :D

Phat Matt
12-03-2007, 05:10 PM
I always put the lanyard on my wrist when I drive. It's a habit and I feel weird if I don't do it like wearing my seatbelt. It makes me more comfortable.

BoatPI
12-03-2007, 05:22 PM
This will save a lot of lives. Just this past year at least two posts mentioned how boaters were killed by their own boats after being ejected. Vests are a no brainer.

Wicky
12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Just another excuse for the LE to pull you over!!!! Its all about the money. Question is ...how much revenue will be generated for citations?
Yeah, 239 died and a landyard would have saved HOW MANY? That was rhetorical...please don't answer. More died in bathtubs and we wont even count swimming pools. People die. Once again I say no more bathtubs they are dangerous. Definitely no more legos. They kill me everytime I step on one in the middle of the night when my boy has left one on the floor.
This brings me to the seatbelt law. Why the hell doesn't every single f.u.c.k.ing car have a ten point cage installed and 5 point harnesses??
Further, I think we should all be wearing helmets when we drive cars to even the playing field. I'm done blabbering.:)
Mow,
Wicky

Wicky
12-03-2007, 06:16 PM
BTW, I always wear my landyard when I'm running hard. I've been tossed out of the seat once and it did work. Nobody had to tell me to wear it. Thank you very much.:eek: I believe the psychiatric word for me is oppositional defiance.

riverroyal
12-03-2007, 06:36 PM
my lanyard from day 1,always,,,,

Moneypitt
12-03-2007, 06:52 PM
BTW, I always wear my landyard when I'm running hard. I've been tossed out of the seat once and it did work. Nobody had to tell me to wear it. Thank you very much.:eek: I believe the psychiatric word for me is oppositional defiance.
OK, so you are smarter than the boaters that have been run over by their own boat. This law doesn't change anything for you, or me.......But the people that have the lanyard and don't use it could be affected. It could save their life. It could save you or I from running over someone in the middle of the lake without a boat around.....It could save kids on the beach when an un driven boat charges the shoreline....Stupid?......Maybe. But some people are stupid and are just limping through life.......Ah, the same ones with the showroom boats with unused lanyards, and very little boating experience.........Safety is safety, we need all we can get...........MP
PS: I agree about cages in cars. Helmets may be a bit of a reach....

Riomouse911
12-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Wow.. it's all about the Benjamins?
Sorry, I don't buy that old and worn out one this time...we've all seen the clueless ones liquored up while the kids run amok.. we've even seen them cruise the channels, Moabi, Lakes etc.. with the kids un-vested and underway while paying little or no attention to the world around them. If one more kid gets to go home from a weekend at the river, or one fewer person get's chopped by their own prop when they get bucked over the gunnel, than it's worth it.

JetBoatRich
12-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Yep,
Mandatory Lanyard wear
Mine came in the mail today, I better read the fine print:D

Wicky
12-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Sorry, I don't buy that old and worn out one this time...we've all seen the clueless ones liquored up while the kids run amok.. we've even seen them cruise the channels, Moabi, Lakes etc.. with the kids un-vested and underway while paying little or no attention to the world around them. If one more kid gets to go home from a weekend at the river, or one fewer person get's chopped by their own prop when they get bucked over the gunnel, than it's worth it.
Darwin rules

Wicky
12-03-2007, 08:39 PM
OK, so you are smarter than the boaters that have been run over by their own boat. This law doesn't change anything for you, or me.......But the people that have the lanyard and don't use it could be affected. It could save their life. It could save you or I from running over someone in the middle of the lake without a boat around.....It could save kids on the beach when an un driven boat charges the shoreline....Stupid?......Maybe. But some people are stupid and are just limping through life.......Ah, the same ones with the showroom boats with unused lanyards, and very little boating experience.........Safety is safety, we need all we can get...........MP
PS: I agree about cages in cars. Helmets may be a bit of a reach....
Whats wrong with helmets...you can never be too safe...it could save one more life right???? When does it stop??

Wicky
12-03-2007, 08:40 PM
I never said there shouldn't be a stupidity law...

Wicky
12-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I repeat...
I never said there shouldn't be a stupidity law...

JetBoatRich
12-04-2007, 04:34 AM
What about all of us guys with old boats that don't have lanyards? :confused:
I read the handout and it said it is mandatory if your vessel is equiped with a lanyard:rolleyes:

Hallett
12-04-2007, 05:00 AM
Know one gets in my boat without a vest.

Zaairman
12-04-2007, 07:43 AM
I read the handout and it said it is mandatory if your vessel is equiped with a lanyard:rolleyes:
Somebody didn't read half the posts in this thread... :eek: