PDA

View Full Version : Social Security Card Question

ratso
12-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Why do they say to NOT laminate your card? Seems it would last longer if it was...

Boatcop
12-03-2007, 11:44 AM
It's because we can't detect forgeries or check for alterations to the card if it's laminated.

502 JET
12-03-2007, 11:51 AM
From the SS administration:
It is not illegal to laminate your card. But it's best not to laminate your card. Laminated cards make it difficult to detect important security features.
I have mine laminated and they accept it at the DMV as another form of Id. and their pretty strict.
They should come up with new cards that won't fall apart.

sanger rat
12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
The one I have now is almost 40 yrs old.:eek: Lasting just fine.;)

Moneypitt
12-03-2007, 12:08 PM
The one I have now is almost 40 yrs old.:eek: Lasting just fine.;)
Well over 40 and still just fine. And yes, I have carried it all those years....However, I no longer carry my draft card ..........Remember those?......MP

ratso
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
It's because we can't detect forgeries or check for alterations to the card if it's laminated.
In what type of case would one need to be checked for forgeries? I'm unaware of mine ever being checked. Just asking...

jdogginla
12-03-2007, 12:18 PM
mine is laminated.....never had any problems.

topless
12-03-2007, 12:25 PM
In what type of case would one need to be checked for forgeries? I'm unaware of mine ever being checked. Just asking...Well if your SS card said you were Stanley Johnathan Bentley III and you didn't speak english, had dark skin and 12 kids with you, I bet they'd question you.

ratso
12-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Well if your SS card said you were Stanley Johnathan Bentley III and you didn't speak english, had dark skin and 12 kids with you, I bet they'd question you.
Wouldn't that be profiling?:D

Moneypitt
12-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Well if your SS card said you were Stanley Johnathan Bentley III and you didn't speak english, had dark skin and 12 kids with you, I bet they'd question you.
He could have desert dust on his shoes and I'll bet they wouldn't question him at all.....Now, if it was an elderly widow trying to collect the benefits she is legally intitled to, the questions would never stop. Well eventually, 4 to 6 months down the road when they finally agree she is intitled to SS money. To question the illegal isn't their job.............MP

Boatcop
12-03-2007, 02:38 PM
In what type of case would one need to be checked for forgeries? I'm unaware of mine ever being checked. Just asking...
When we book illegals or suspected illegals into jail, we search their wallets/papers, etc. You'd be surprised at how many people have SS cards that are not in their name, name spelled wrong, or obvious forgeries.
We could probably charge them for possession of a forged instrument, but usually turn them and the cards over to Border Patrol. They'll question the guy as to where he got it (they're actually pretty sraight forward about telling them that).
He could have desert dust on his shoes and I'll bet they wouldn't question him at all.....Now, if it was an elderly widow trying to collect the benefits she is legally intitled to, the questions would never stop. Well eventually, 4 to 6 months down the road when they finally agree she is intitled to SS money. To question the illegal isn't their job.............MP
Actually it IS our job to question illegals. When we find them, with or without a crime being committed, we hold them for Border Patrol. They verify their status, and if illegal, will come and pick them up for deportation. Whether it's a single one or 2 dozen, they'll come pick them up.
It's also a crime in AZ to conspire to traffic in illegal immigrants. Although it's primary intent is to prosecute Coyotes, the courts here have ruled that the illegals themselves are part of the conspiracy, and may be charged with it.