PDA

View Full Version : PDA's / Phone again

Hustler
12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Any suggestions? We have the Palm Treo right now and every one in our office hates them. Were looking at the Blackberry 8830 but it has no camera and I'm getting tired of lugging around a phone that big. We have Sprint here at our office so the choices seem a little limited. Any one ever deal with HTC phones? Also I have heard you can use the i phone on any service if you unlock it. Would this be some thing to look into for a company or stay away from it.

Hustler
12-05-2007, 06:32 PM
So what happened to all the phone guru's around here?:confused:

riverbound
12-05-2007, 06:33 PM
I have the pocket PC and it is MUCH better than the Treo. I will be switching back to a standard Balckberry soon though as I prefer The BB email push.

Hustler
12-05-2007, 06:37 PM
What BB are you looking to go with? I have an option to get the Pearl but the button on thing will make it real interesting while driving:eek:

mbrown2
12-05-2007, 06:42 PM
What BB are you looking to go with? I have an option to get the Pearl but the button on thing will make it real interesting while driving:eek:
Get the Pearl or the 8310....
The Pearl is the smallest and most phone like with a 1.3mg camera...but it has the condensed smart type keyboard...
The 8310 is the Curve and it has the full keyboard but smaller then the other 8820....it also has a 2mg camera
I have the Pearl...but am looking to move to the Curve for the full keyboard...I think it is the best compromise..

riverbound
12-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Im on verizon and will be going with whatever the new one with camera and the full keyboard is. I cant stand the condensed keyboard (I do about 200 emails a day for work)

OC28HEAT
12-05-2007, 07:58 PM
I have a curve and a BJII and I love the CURVE

Hustler
12-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Well Sprint is not offering the curve so I might just go with the 8830. I like the size of the Pearl but I dont think I can handle that keypad for long.

Ryphraph
12-05-2007, 08:19 PM
What is everyones' complaints on the Treos? I just got them all stable and email push is solid from our mail server. Now I am getting pressure that everyone wants Blackberries.
I have a test Treo and I think it works great. I think the users are complaining about non push email issues which would also be issues on a Blackberry such as web browsing , bluetooth, multiple email configs...
Ryph

Hustler
12-05-2007, 08:25 PM
My Treo is about 6-8 months old. I have to constantly pull the battery on it because it locks up. It drops my blue tooth connection about 3-5 times a day:mad: Other than things like that it works fine:rolleyes: :D

mbrown2
12-05-2007, 09:54 PM
What is everyones' complaints on the Treos? I just got them all stable and email push is solid from our mail server. Now I am getting pressure that everyone wants Blackberries.
I have a test Treo and I think it works great. I think the users are complaining about non push email issues which would also be issues on a Blackberry such as web browsing , bluetooth, multiple email configs...
Ryph
Its been years since I haved used a Treo or Microsoft based device but it was always the sync'g was a challenge as opposed the BB always being on; always sync...just seemed more real time....all the time..

mbrown2
12-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Well Sprint is not offering the curve so I might just go with the 8830. I like the size of the Pearl but I dont think I can handle that keypad for long.
I do AT&T cause it is the only one that works in Parker...and have never had too many coverage issues elsewhere...

riverbound
12-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Ryph
My main problem was that with the ammount of email I receive it was constantly locking up. I started with a Treo 600 then on to a 650 and then a 700. I finally went to the Pocket Pc which was slightly better. I thin the big issues are with the email sync clients on all the mobile windows based units. Every widows based unit has been a hassle for me. My Pocket PC is finally doing OK but I still have to reset it about 3 times a day due to it locking up.

BajaMike
12-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Any suggestions? We have the Palm Treo right now and every one in our office hates them. Were looking at the Blackberry 8830 but it has no camera and I'm getting tired of lugging around a phone that big. We have Sprint here at our office so the choices seem a little limited. Any one ever deal with HTC phones? Also I have heard you can use the i phone on any service if you unlock it. Would this be some thing to look into for a company or stay away from it.
If your company has an Exchange server, you want to go with the system they support. With Blackberry, if they install a Blackberry mail server, your Blackberry will have your e-mail just like your Outlook at the office.
If they support the Palm or Pocket PC, they will have a "Smart Server", which will make your Palm/PPC just like your Outlook at the office.
Both systems are very cool, you get your e-mail in real time, you delete something on your BB/Palm/PPC, it deletes it on Outlook at the offce.
I work on these servers all the time.....you want to go with the system that your office supports (if they don't have an Exchange server/Blackberry Server/Good Server....they should....It's great technology!).
:idea:

SOCALDETAIL1
12-05-2007, 11:25 PM
I have the Verizon 6700 pocket pc, You can set it to receive your email from every 30 seconds to once a day. The only problem is battery life when I use my bluetooth which is like all day. From what I heard you can use a unlocked iPhone on t-mobil but once you unlock it, you can not update the software. I was going to switch to the BB but like the treo I hate the keyboard, I like the full size keyboard.

riverbound
12-05-2007, 11:26 PM
If your company has an Exchange server, you want to go with the system they support. With Blackberry, if they install a Blackberry mail server, your Blackberry will have your e-mail just like your Outlook at the office.
If they support the Palm or Pocket PC, they will have a "Smart Server", which will make your Palm/PPC just like your Outlook at the office.
Both systems are very cool, you get your e-mail in real time, you delete something on your BB/Palm/PPC, it deletes it on Outlook at the offce.
I work on these servers all the time.....you want to go with the system that your office supports (if they don't have an Exchange server/Blackberry Server/Good Server....they should....It's great technology!).
:idea:
when out company was sold the new company uses an exchange server the email works MUCH better now. I do like the fact that it does sync everything Clanedar, contacts, etc... just like I am using my outlook on my computer.

Ryphraph
12-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Our Treos sync perfectly with the Exchange ActiveSync so I know that is not the issue.
Is the bluetooth connection on the BB phones better? How is the web browsing?
Thanks...
Ryph

riverbound
12-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Our Treos sync perfectly with the Exchange ActiveSync so I know that is not the issue.
Is the bluetooth connection on the BB phones better? How is the web browsing?
Thanks...
Ryph
They do sync well...but if you do a lot of emails they still tend to lock up consistently. as far as the bluetooth and web browsing. from my experience they have been pretty similar.

SOCALDETAIL1
12-05-2007, 11:42 PM
They do sync well...but if you do a lot of emails they still tend to lock up consistently. as far as the bluetooth and web browsing. from my experience they have been pretty similar.
Im on my third pocket pc. When all else fails i just trade it in. One day I will get a good one. On the pda forums they tell you to delete all the programs you dont use and then you only have to re-set once a day :D

riverbound
12-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Im on my third pocket pc. When all else fails i just trade it in. One day I will get a good one. On the pda forums they tell you to delete all the programs you dont use and then you only have to re-set once a day :D
I doubt you wil ever get a "good" one. but I have had better luck with my Pocket POS than my Treos.
btw...if anyone is interested in any used treo 650s I think still have a couple in a drawer with all the accesories. I keep them for back ups.

DaddyMack
12-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Hmm I am on AT&T and have an Ipaq 6920 (HP) or something like that... Its only a 1.3mb cam... but it is touch screen and has GPS etc. Its a little big, but the keyboard is easy and everything works real well, PC based. Emails are easy.. etc... oh and its unlocked.. so it would work on any network..
Prob going to the Iphone when we swith over to Macs at work... :idea:

lalhc
12-06-2007, 09:30 AM
check your pm's

Nord
12-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I have the BB 7100 and it is a piece. The browser is super slow and usually times out. I might change networks and end up with the new pearl or the curve.

Insurance God
12-06-2007, 09:43 AM
I got rid of my Treo. It would lock up all the time. Keys stopped working properly etc. I had 4 in a years time. I went back to a regular phone (LG 8000 something) and it has been rock solid. I also use a laptop with the modem provided by Verizon so I can get service while on the road etc. This has worked much better for me.
If you have a Treo, it is helpful to press & hold the "ok" button to close all programs. If you "x" out, the programs still run in the background and cause the phone to lock up also.

lalhc
12-06-2007, 09:52 AM
I have the BB 7100 and it is a piece. The browser is super slow and usually times out. I might change networks and end up with the new pearl or the curve.
You have 30 days to return your phone if you don't like it. The Sprint network is a lot quicker w/data, but you lose your Direct Connect feature.

Steamin' Rice
12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
My service is with Verizon and I have had a BB8830 for a couple of weeks now - Email service has been great so far, no compliants from me on the phone. If I didn't need the email I would probably look to get a smaller phone though.