PDA

View Full Version : Holiday 4449 Steam Locomotive ride

HP350SC
12-06-2007, 06:32 PM
I am so happy, I got 4 tickets to ride this incredible train. It will travel along the Willamette river at the same time as the Christmas boats.
The best part is I'm taking my Mom and her friend, he is 92 years old, and worked his whole life for the RR. I can't wait to see the delight on his face, this will surely spark many memories for him.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris/4449tyears.html
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/HE_banner.gif

burtandnancy2
12-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks for sharing that. As a young kid I rode that train (The Daylight) many, many times up and down the coast when my folks sent me to grandmas house, mostly during WWII. I looked hard for one of the most exciting pictures, but it wasn't there; the Horseshoe Curve just north of San Luis Obispo, I have some old black and white 2 cent post cards of that. If you sat in the middle of the train, you could see both the front and back when it went around that curve (very slowly). Sure brought back memories. As a native SoCal boy, I also remember the Malletts (cab in front steam locomotives) as featured in the museum in Sacramento...

HP350SC
12-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for sharing that. As a young kid I rode that train (The Daylight) many, many times up and down the coast when my folks sent me to grandmas house, mostly during WWII. I looked hard for one of the most exciting pictures, but it wasn't there; the Horseshoe Curve just north of San Luis Obispo, I have some old black and white 2 cent post cards of that. If you sat in the middle of the train, you could see both the front and back when it went around that curve (very slowly). Sure brought back memories. As a native SoCal boy, I also remember the Malletts (cab in front steam locomotives) as featured in the museum in Sacramento...
Great story! I'm glad it is being maintained and restored. The volunteers have to remove brass fittings,gauges etc. every day so meth heads don't steal them...what a shame. We also have the SP&S 700 here.

coolchange
12-06-2007, 07:25 PM
The best part is I'm taking my Mom and her friend, he is 92 years old, and worked his whole life for the RR. I can't wait to see the delight on his face, this will surely spark many memories for him.
He'll probably say " I worked my whole life to get away from the freekin RR and now this?":D J/K Thats awesome really. I saw that train or one like it come through Santa Clarita a long time ago. It was VERY impressive.

HP350SC
12-06-2007, 07:33 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/00111.jpgHe'll probably say " I worked my whole life to get away from the freekin RR and now this?":D J/K Thats awesome really. I saw that train or one like it come through Santa Clarita a long time ago. It was VERY impressive.
LOL I thought that too, but he's a real rail buff. And he is 92 so he's been away from RR longer than I've been alive. He was griping about when the diesel's took over. He has this exact picture on his wall, and was there when this was taken in The Dalles, OR. in 1940.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/00111.jpg

Trailer Park Casanova
12-06-2007, 07:38 PM
That's looks teriffic.
Should be a great adventure.
We saw a fully restored, First Class condition, Yellow color Union Pacific train perhaps 30 cars long pull into LA Union Station last year.
Haven't been able to find it on the net to book a trip.

HP350SC
12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
That's looks teriffic.
Should be a great adventure.
We saw a fully restored, First Class condition, Yellow color Union Pacific train perhaps 30 cars long pull into LA Union Station last year.
Haven't been able to find it on the net to book a trip.
I'll find out if you can book me a ride on your avatar lol

Redneck
12-06-2007, 07:43 PM
My dad drives the one in Carsin city. Its a steam engine

pancho
12-07-2007, 05:58 AM
hp350c seems youre up on the train stuff,in the mid 90`s i painted some trains in the Tillamook blimp hangar.we did the spirit of Oregon dinner train also Holland America Cruise lines,Princess cruises trains that tour the denali national forest in Alaska,really interesting work taking early Budd and Pullman cars and making them hot again,it was like pimp my train,that blimp hangar has an excellent private plane collection also,had alot of fun there for a few years

LUVNLIFE
12-07-2007, 06:17 AM
My dad use to ride The Daylight also. I remember a while ago, maybe 20 years ago, going with him to watch it go through the Antelope Valley when they were moving it somewhere. Alot of people were on hand to watch history;)

dirty old man
12-07-2007, 08:56 AM
I lived in the San Fernando Valley back then, I bet I smashed more pennies under the Daylight than anyone

Mrs 2LKHVSU
12-07-2007, 09:31 PM
That's really cool that you are doing that for him. My grandma is 94 1/2 and appreciated all that us "young folk" do for her, too!