PDA

View Full Version : RV Question

thatguy
12-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Can heat trace tape be used on plastic holding tanks? I live in mine for a month at a time in CO. Last winter I cracked one from freezing. I have the tape on my water feed line and the standpipe from the grond, wrapped in insulation and it works fine. I want to put 6' strips on the bottom of my tanks with insulation over that. I believe the strips are regulated at 40* or less.
Will it melt the tanks?
Tommy

thatguy
12-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Anyone?

Luckie Stiff
12-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Can heat trace tape be used on plastic holding tanks? I live in mine for a month at a time in CO. Last winter I cracked one from freezing. I have the tape on my water feed line and the standpipe from the grond, wrapped in insulation and it works fine. I want to put 6' strips on the bottom of my tanks with insulation over that. I believe the strips are regulated at 40* or less.
Will it melt the tanks?
Tommy
You should be fine as most of the HT tapes on the market don't get hotter than about *45, they get just hot enough to keep whatever it's on above the freezing level.

thatguy
12-07-2007, 05:31 PM
You should be fine as most of the HT tapes on the market don't get hotter than about *45, they get just hot enough to keep whatever it's on above the freezing level.
Thanks, I figured so, but just wanted to hear from anyone who has done it. It will be unattended for 2 weeks at a time.
Tommy