PDA

View Full Version : my boat won't trun off

project-speed
05-19-2002, 09:06 PM
ok here's the problem i just took my boat to the lake. Everything is brand new and to specs. i was happy when the motor started (455 olds built by mondello) i ran it for about an hour dialing it in. boat runs strong but it wont shut off. i pulled the alt. wire and it then it died. i could realy use some help.

hoolign
05-19-2002, 09:09 PM
one of my old boats did that, the ign switch was fubar,would'nt cut the current

project-speed
05-19-2002, 09:30 PM
that sounds a hole lot easier than wiring up a kill switch. thanks hoolign

GlastronGuy
05-19-2002, 09:35 PM
On the older boats there is a one way diode installed inline on the alt. wire. Sound like yours is missing.

jweeks123
05-19-2002, 09:40 PM
put a diode in the wire from the ign switch to the alternator field.
jw

project-speed
05-19-2002, 10:07 PM
i saw the diode on the electrical diagram. i asked my mechanic and he said the alternator had one in it. is he full of sh*t.

wrightnow
05-19-2002, 10:55 PM
Check your alternator and see if there are two spots to connect the excite wire, sounds like you have it connect to the wrong terminal

project-speed
05-20-2002, 11:01 AM
i checked it, it's plugged in right. thanks wrightnow

wsm9808
05-20-2002, 11:22 AM
Check voltage at the power wire going to the dist(HEI) or the + terminal if you have a external coil system. Should be hot with the key in the RUN position, and dead with the key off. If its always hot, then either the ignition swicth is bad or the dist wire is plugged in to a hot wire somewhere between the key and the dist.

project-speed
05-20-2002, 11:49 AM
thanks wsm9808, i will go check it out. i've got a msd 6al 2 blaster coil. i also have another problem. once and a while i feel a vibration from the back of the boat. i think it's the jet. my friend sells boats and he thinks it's normal. in don't think so.

GlastronGuy
05-20-2002, 01:00 PM
At what RPM?

dreamsicle
05-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Is your MSD 6AL new? If it is it comes with the diode in the box to istall in the ignition wire going to the alternator. A MSD ignition will run on lower voltage than your stock ignition did. I had the same problem after installing a 6AL on my boat. I put in the diode and the problem was solved.

project-speed
05-20-2002, 02:23 PM
GlastronGuy:
At what RPM? i'm not sure. im taking the boat out wright now. i'll let ya know. it was about 1000 at idle of and on.

project-speed
05-20-2002, 02:28 PM
Is your MSD 6AL new? yes everything is new. i'll go dig through my pile of boxe's and see if i can find the diode. thanks dreamsicle

Oldsquirt
05-20-2002, 02:40 PM
The diode is SMALL! I have a new 6AL here waiting to be installed and went to look for diode. Almost missed it. Directions for installation are on page 8 of manual.

project-speed
05-20-2002, 02:59 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
The diode is SMALL! i just found it. they say the voltage only feeds one way. i hope i get it wright the first time.

project-speed
05-20-2002, 03:12 PM
SWEET the diode solved my problem. the last time i as this happy was this morning when the wife woke me up in that special kinda way. thanks everyone for the help.

project-speed
05-20-2002, 07:54 PM
cool, i just got back from the lake. i ran the motor real hard (i've got two hours on the motor) and i got it up to 60 then backed out of it. 20 min later i ran out of gas in the middle of the lake. i called a friend on my cell he got 5 gal. of fuel gave it to some guy that was fighting with his wife on who's going to back there boat in the water. the dude brought me gas and i was back in business. my friend helped me load the boat on the trailer, when he leaned over for the boat his cell phone fell in the lake. anyway boat ran great and it shut off. thanks again everybody.

hoolign
05-20-2002, 08:00 PM
good to hear...well the boat running properly part anyway

project-speed
05-21-2002, 11:08 AM
Thanks hoolign, whats amazing to me is i put 11 gallons of gas in it and both tanks were sucked dry in 2hrs. i've got a 830 holly and the motor is still running lean.

Taylorman
05-21-2002, 12:34 PM
I had the same problem with my MSD 6AL box. The problem on mine was the exciter wire going from my key to to alternator and the power wire from key to MSD box were on the same terminal on my key. Power from alt. was feeding MSD box and not allowing it to shut off when the key was turned off. I tried diodes with no luck I ended up having to separate the two wires. I had to get and new key that had 2 terminals for switched power. Hope this helps.

Harlem
05-21-2002, 04:35 PM
Without a doubt the ignition switch is bad! get a new switch and that will do it!

Costello
05-21-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman:
I had the same problem with my MSD 6AL box. The problem on mine was the exciter wire going from my key to to alternator and the power wire from key to MSD box were on the same terminal on my key. Power from alt. was feeding MSD box and not allowing it to shut off when the key was turned off. I tried diodes with no luck I ended up having to separate the two wires. I had to get and new key that had 2 terminals for switched power. Hope this helps.
I've had the exact same thing happen before myself.