PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Pool Water

yopengo
12-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Our Havasu pool service wants to drain and change out our pool water. They say it should be done every two to three years because of the local hard water. :eek: Is this correct or are they just looking for some holiday $$$? :idea:

Riverdog1
12-13-2007, 02:30 PM
After a few years your water dies--meaning it will start to use alot more chemical and chlorine does next to nothing. If this is happening then yes, you should replace the water. It's not that spendy, just the start up cost and the water. I just did mine in Oct. and I think the water bill for 19000 gallons was like 40-50 bucks.

BEER&WATER
12-13-2007, 03:09 PM
you should do it every year
think about it .. highest evaporation rate in the country
with the hardest water as well ... the solids in the water
stay in the pool and the light particles evaporate into the air... you keep adding water all summer to keep it full right....
that means you are adding hard water with more solids
..water gets thicker and thicker with solids
the solution is drain it once a year or have major lime/calcium build up

mark49
12-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Have your water tested by a water chemical company or if you're close to a Leslies Pool supply or other pool supply they'll test it free of charge... Water is not like a car oil change, it could be good for 1-7 years; check it first to see if it’s become chemical resistant.
Just for the record my water is going on 6 years and the ratio getting close to needing change, most likley this pre-summer

mark49
12-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Have your water tested by a water chemical company or if you're close to a Leslies Pool supply or other pool supply they'll test it free of charge... Water is not like a car oil change, it could be good for 1-7 years; check it first to see if it’s become chemical resistant.
Just for the record my water is going on 6 years and the ratio getting close to needing change, most likley this pre-summer

Outnumbered
12-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Yes they are telling the truth. I do mine every year to two years just to be safe. The fresh water will use far less chemicals and this off-sets the cost of the water. Not to mention less scale (calcium) will build-up around the pool and in the plumbing/equip. If you are over-treating your water or using chems with calcium you will make the water go "too-hard" even quicker. When you drain it is also a perfect time to have the calcium ring blasted.

yopengo
12-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Thank you everyone....I will give them the okay to proceed.

phebus
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
December-March is when the city determines your baseline charges for water use during the year. The more you use during that period, the more water costs you for the entire year. So, yes, drain and refill your pool, but wait until later in the year.

SummerBreeze
12-13-2007, 03:55 PM
With the responces here
We have a issue

yopengo
12-13-2007, 04:22 PM
December-March is when the city determines your baseline charges for water use during the year. The more you use during that period, the more water costs you for the entire year. So, yes, drain and refill your pool, but wait until later in the year.
Good to know....thanks.

phebus
12-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Good to know....thanks.
No sense wasting beer money :idea:

Havasu1986
12-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Well that sucks. That the time of that my snowbird is there and uses the water every day. :mad:

IDRPSTF
12-13-2007, 04:34 PM
"I think the water bill for 19000 gallons was like 40-50 bucks."
I would make sure t call the water co ahead of time. Remember that your use bill directly relates to your sewage bill. I had a pipe break the first month I lived in Havasu $700.00 bill wor water.

jscarab
12-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Phebus is correct, the city uses these four months to determine your water/sewer rate. If you drain your pool just take a water meter reading before and after you fill your pool. Call the city and give them the info. The city takes the highest month usage and throws it out. They only use three months to average your usage. I work in the pool industry in Havi and drain pools on a daily basis. If you change your water regularly your calcium line will be less............Shameless Plug....Dezart Elegance Pool Tile Cleaning-928-453-2313......jesse:D :D :D

Kachina26
12-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Good to know, at first I thought it was akin to rotating the air in your tires.

RiverRatMike
12-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Our Havasu pool service wants to drain and change out our pool water. They say it should be done every two to three years because of the local hard water. :eek: Is this correct or are they just looking for some holiday $$$? :idea:
if your constantly adding water to it during the summer months, there is no need to drain it. I've had the water in my pool for 3 years without any draining. All is good.

jscarab
12-13-2007, 06:52 PM
mike- have you had you TDS level checked? Total Dissolved Solids:confused: :confused:

slowinhavasu
12-13-2007, 06:58 PM
I am going to add a bleed off system this year, that water will water my plants in the back yard, and keep the TDS down and I shouldn't have to drain the pool as often.

ClownRoyal
12-13-2007, 07:02 PM
you should do it every year
think about it .. highest evaporation rate in the country
with the hardest water as well ... the solids in the water
stay in the pool and the light particles evaporate into the air... you keep adding water all summer to keep it full right....
that means you are adding hard water with more solids
..water gets thicker and thicker with solids
the solution is drain it once a year or have major lime/calcium build up
And just think of what it does to gelcoat. Nasty!

pspoolman
12-13-2007, 07:31 PM
if your constantly adding water to it during the summer months, there is no need to drain it. I've had the water in my pool for 3 years without any draining. All is good.
RiverRat...Check your TDS....When water evaporates the only thing that evaporates is pure h2o. All the disolved solids that are in the water stay in the water. Over time they will cause scaling, staining and cloudy water.
In Palm Springs like Havasu we can lose 8- 10 feet of water a year due to evaporation. Basically we lose a pool volume of water every year.

Parker Dreamin
12-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Tequila-John.... what is your opinion bud ?

RiverRatMike
12-13-2007, 07:51 PM
RiverRat...Check your TDS....When water evaporates the only thing that evaporates is pure h2o. All the disolved solids that are in the water stay in the water. Over time they will cause scaling, staining and cloudy water.
In Palm Springs like Havasu we can lose 8- 10 feet of water a year due to evaporation. Basically we lose a pool volume of water every year.
nope haven't had that checked but let the sun burn off the chlorine. Just keep a very low dosage of chemicals in it during the winter months. Haven't had any problems. Water is still sparkling clear.

KineticoH20
12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
As a rule when the TDS exceeds 2000ppm it's time for a change.

havpoolguy
12-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Pools need to be drained because of TDS levels and hardness levels. Usually those levels will both be high within 1-2 years. They can be checked any pool store.I personally only drain pools if we start to have problems ie. calcium build up, not holding chems etc. I have some pools I have to drain and refill religously and other ones that have not been drained for five or six years. If I am not having any problems with the pool I wont drain it. I am big believer in saving water as much as we can. I dont want them draining this lake.

INSman
12-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Phebus is correct, the city uses these four months to determine your water/sewer rate. If you drain your pool just take a water meter reading before and after you fill your pool. Call the city and give them the info. The city takes the highest month usage and throws it out. They only use three months to average your usage. I work in the pool industry in Havi and drain pools on a daily basis. If you change your water regularly your calcium line will be less............Shameless Plug....Dezart Elegance Pool Tile Cleaning-928-453-2313......jesse:D :D :D
Don't forget to remind me to do this in maybe February and your dad is doing a great job on my pool, thanks again and happy holidays :)

Outnumbered
12-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Everyone adds water to their pool in the desert, if they didn't it would be empty by the end of the summer. You can go 3-4 years if you are easy on the chems and don't get alot of crap in your pool that requires shocking and additional chlorine. Calcium will not evaporate and you are increasing the TDS/calcium every month as water evaporates.
We have lots of trees around the pool and it gets lots of leaves (organics) plus lots of small kids etc. After two years I am fighting to keep it clear. It is just easier to dump it and use less chems. When my TDS gets over 2,000 it is time to dump. I bought a TDS meter on e-bay.
I dump most of my water on my landscape after I let the chlorine burn-off to a zero-reading on the chlorine level.

RiverRatMike
12-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Everyone adds water to their pool in the desert, if they didn't it would be empty by the end of the summer. You can go 3-4 years if you are easy on the chems and don't get alot of crap in your pool that requires shocking and additional chlorine. Calcium will not evaporate and you are increasing the TDS/calcium every month as water evaporates.
We have lots of trees around the pool and it gets lots of leaves (organics) plus lots of small kids etc. After two years I am fighting to keep it clear. It is just easier to dump it and use less chems. When my TDS gets over 2,000 it is time to dump. I bought a TDS meter on e-bay.
I dump most of my water on my landscape after I let the chlorine burn-off to a zero-reading on the chlorine level.
well understood, I'll drain my pool water when I have problems. So far I've been lucky after 3 years. No problems as of yet.

jscarab
12-14-2007, 05:16 AM
INS- no problem, whenever your ready. Thanks for the good words.