PDA

View Full Version : Alamo Lake, AZ

Mandelon
12-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Is there a trail from the Havasu area over to this lake? Use Google Map and check it out. Anyone ever been there?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Park
Alamo Lake State Park is one of Arizona's best kept secrets. The stark desert beauty is reflected off the water. Cacti dot the mountainous landscape that surround the lake. Nestled in the Bill Williams River Valley away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, Alamo Lake State Park offers outdoor fun, premier bass fishing, rest and relaxation. For nature lovers, spring rains bring an abundance of wild flowers and the lake environment attracts a variety of wildlife year round, including bald and golden eagles, waterfowl, foxes, coyotes, mule deer and wild burros. Stargazers are sure to enjoy the unbelievable view of the night sky with the nearest city lights some forty miles away!
Alamo Lake, located on the Bill Williams River where the Big Sandy River and Santa Maria River come together, was created with the completion of Alamo Dam in 1968. The Army Corps of Engineers designed the earthen dam primarily for flood control. During flood events, the lake basin is capable of "capturing" large amounts of water in a relatively short time. The lake has been recorded rising 11 vertical feet in one night! Unusually high flows during the late 1970's and through the 1980's have increased the average size of the lake, helping to create one of Arizona's best fishing holes.

Chicken Ship
12-14-2007, 07:24 PM
You can get there from Standard Wash and Bill Willams

caroftheweek
12-14-2007, 07:27 PM
I drive by it every time I go to the river.
My insurance agent rides out there all the time and he said that there is a trail that will lead to Havasu but he has never taken it very far.
That would be a very cool ride.

Boatcop
12-14-2007, 07:31 PM
There are numerous dirt roads that head down to Alamo from Havasu. You can head east through Standard Wash and pick up the one of the roads going south east and end up at the lake.
A good GPS is vital. We've had numerous searches for people lost and/or stranded in that area. It's known to those of us in the SAR world as "Stranded Wash".
As was suggested in the "Back way to the Desert Bar", go to Google Earth and search on "Lake Alamo, AZ". Zoom out and trace the road(s) back to Standard Wash.
There is absolutely nothing on the Mohave County side of the Lake, and you really can't get to the La Paz side, without going way east.
Alamo is one of the best Bass lakes in AZ. Also good for Tilipia, Catfish, and good pan sized Perch.
http://www.azstateparks.gov/Parks/parkhtml/alamo.html

Mandelon
12-14-2007, 07:33 PM
There are numerous dirt roads that head down to Alamo from Havasu. You can head east through Standard Wash and pick up the one of the roads going south east and end up at the lake.
A good GPS is vital. We've had numerous searches for people lost and/or stranded in that area. It's known to those of us in the SAR world as "Stranded Wash".
As was suggested in the "Back way to the Desert Bar", go to Google Earth and search on "Lake Alamo, AZ". Zoom out and trace the road(s) back to Standard Wash.
There is absolutely nothing on the Mohave County side of the Lake, and you really can't get to the La Paz side, without going way east.
Alamo is one of the best Bass lakes in AZ. Also good for Tilipia, Catfish, and good pan sized Perch.
http://www.azstateparks.gov/Parks/parkhtml/alamo.html
Are there boat restrictions? I could not find anything specific except that the north part of the lake might be closed periodically and that there are two launch ramps..

Boatcop
12-14-2007, 07:43 PM
No boat restrictions on size and/or horsepower. The north-east end of the lake is studded with the remains of an old willow grove, so underwater snags abound. (Which is also why the fishing is so good)
There's also the ruins of the old mining town with adobe home sites still remaining. But that's well below the surface, even at low water. You can dive and explore them, but it's recommended for experienced divers only, and visibility isn't the greatest.
The 2 ramps are located at the end of the roads leading down to the campsites. The one off Cholla road is an excellent ramp when the Lake is up. The one by the main camp area is basically a one at a time ramp, and they have a special mechanical ramp for when the Lake is low. I wouldn't suggest putting anything over 20' or 21' on it.

Boatcop
12-14-2007, 07:51 PM
The upper part of the Lake is closed at certain times of the year due to Bald Eagle nesting. Whether or not it's closed depends on if they have any mating pairs nesting that year.

FLATS ONLY
12-14-2007, 07:54 PM
I would never go there, once was enough:eek:

Sleek-Jet
12-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Alamo lake is one of the way points when I'm flying between Vegas and Tucson... go right over the top of it.
Looks pretty shallow and murkey... just from eyeballing it at 8500 feet I would say it's a good fishing lake. Never seen more than one or two boats on the water, definitely a place to get away from it all.

Boatcop
12-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Alamo lake is one of the way points when I'm flying between Vegas and Tucson... go right over the top of it.
Looks pretty shallow and murkey... just from eyeballing it at 8500 feet I would say it's a good fishing lake. Never seen more than one or two boats on the water, definitely a place to get away from it all.
The only people who regularly use Alamo are Fishermen (naturally), snowbirds (this time of year), and tournament water-skiers.
The skiers like it, due to the lack of crowds and wakes. They set out slalom courses and go at, with no disturbances.

AZKC
12-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Been there a few times great fishin :D When the floods are flowin lots of log jams. You can get trapped:eek: Middle of no where for sure;)

Jordy
12-14-2007, 10:47 PM
We sold a generator to the main store/park there. Quite a power grid they have setup there. Delivered it up there, and I must say, they're neck in neck with Greasewood Flats for the best green chile cheeseburger I've ever had. Had some big lunker bass mounted up on the wall there too. Used to pop up from time to time with state record bass. Guess it stays pretty deep around the dam year round.
You definately have to go there on purpose though.

squirt'nmyload
12-14-2007, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't suggest putting anything over 20' or 21' on it.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Classic Daycruiser
12-15-2007, 07:30 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
When's the "winter series" starting?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45272&stc=1&d=1197732572
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45273&stc=1&d=1197732572

squirt'nmyload
12-15-2007, 07:32 AM
possibily tomorrow!....lake to be determined :D :D

bigriverdog
12-15-2007, 07:41 AM
The only people who regularly use Alamo are Fishermen (naturally), snowbirds (this time of year), and tournament water-skiers.
The skiers like it, due to the lack of crowds and wakes. They set out slalom courses and go at, with no disturbances.
Alan,
Can you get there by following the dirt road above the pump plant near Havasu Springs? I know that goes along the Bill Williams river. We tried a couple of years ago, but the road was closed due to flooding.

Mandelon
12-15-2007, 11:51 AM
I found a rafting web site that says you can kayak, canoe or raft the river between Alamo and havasu... :eek:

Boatcop
12-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Alan,
Can you get there by following the dirt road above the pump plant near Havasu Springs? I know that goes along the Bill Williams river. We tried a couple of years ago, but the road was closed due to flooding.
No. That road only goes out to Planet Ranch, even when it IS passible. Since it washed out, it hasn't been re-bladed, and there's no plans to do it.
Even if it went all the way, it would only go as far as the Dam, with no way to get over or around it.

THEPISTONHEAD
12-15-2007, 04:38 PM
2 things about Alamo.............watch out for jumping cactus...got a big piece in my leg when I was younger, and watch out for the damn donkeys.....................they hee-haw all night long. Pretty funny actually.

Mr. Crusader 83
12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
When's the "winter series" starting?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45272&stc=1&d=1197732572
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45273&stc=1&d=1197732572
Where these pics taken at Alamo Lake? It looks nice for jets. We are we going?

Sleek-Jet
12-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Where these pics taken at Alamo Lake? It looks nice for jets. We are we going?
Those pictures are from Saguaro...