PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Dodge Challenger

Excessive Force
12-14-2007, 08:00 PM
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/il/media/landingpages/exclusives/photo_challenger.jpg
Had to give the Challenger its own thread. This is looking sweeter and more retro than the 2010 Camaro. IMO
2008 Dodge Challenger: Concept to Production
Chrysler knows the 2008 Dodge Challenger will be showing up late to the retro pony car party. The company has carefully foreshadowed the second coming of the long-nosed Hemi-powered contender since Ford proved it could sell the 1965 Mustang all over again in 2005.
Standing on the sidelines while Ford took the initial retro risk saved Chrysler the potential embarrassment of making a bad decision, but Dodge has also been using the Challenger's late arrival to tease buyers and build interest in the forthcoming muscle car. Strategically planted rumors and radical orange concept car renderings in 2005 had the public drooling for sheet metal.
Finally, in January 2006, Dodge unveiled the Challenger Concept at the same venue that saw the debut of Ford's Concept Mustang three years prior, the North American International Auto Show.
A relatively long hood and Chrysler's characteristic gangster window line flow into widened and raised rear haunches, barely housing giant 21-inch wheels, and black stripes of unpainted carbon fiber run the length of the body. There's no disputing it — the Challenger Concept looked positively boss when the sheet was whisked off.
Soon after the car's unveiling, Inside Line visited Chrysler's Pacifica Design Studio in Carlsbad, California, where the 2008 Dodge Challenger Concept was designed. There we interviewed the two men responsible for the car's look. "Early on, we just tried to capture 'Mopar' in the designs," Mike Castiglione told us during our visit. "We tried to capture the beveled edges that were uniquely Mopar back in the muscle car days. If you look at an old Challenger or Charger, the lines have a snap to them. Once we figured that out, then we got more focused." Mike beat out two other designers for the gig and it's fair to say he was the right man for the job.
Two Challenger Concepts were built, both powered by the famous 6.1-liter Hemi V8. The first was a hot orange Challenger Concept designed to be a street car with 425 horsepower. The second, a 525-hp flat-black Challenger Super-stock concept, is shod with massive Goodyear slicks and is good for one thing — knocking off 11.0-second quarter-mile runs.
The concept cars are based on a shortened Dodge Charger platform and are topped with bodies made entirely of carbon fiber. And both are real runners. In fact, we took the orange Challenger Concept out cruising in Southern California to the famous Donut Derelicts car show. Then we drag-raced the flat-black Challenger Super-Stock Concept at the Mopars at the Strip event in Las Vegas.
The release of the 2009 Dodge Challenger won't be the first time Chrysler introduced a car at the tail end of the muscle-car craze — the original Challenger hit the streets in 1970, six years after the Ford Mustang and four after Chevy's Camaro, which will be getting its own resurgence with the release of the 2009 Chevy Camaro. There's a reason the car is named "Challenger."
Late to the party or not, the 2008 Dodge Challenger is poised to crash it. Big time.

acatitude
12-14-2007, 08:15 PM
nice looking ride

RitcheyRch
12-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Think will be a good seller.

Raskal
12-14-2007, 08:34 PM
thats bad a$$ looks nice

uvindex
12-14-2007, 08:34 PM
"Retro" is an understatement. Here's a '72: :)
http://www.musclecarsociety.com/files/dodge/Challenger/andreavernon/1972-dodge-challenger.jpg

Excessive Force
12-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Allpar.com has some interesting reads. Kinda long. Seems there are different body platforms it may be built on in the following years.
http://allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

DSW
12-14-2007, 09:21 PM
If you like the Challenger then you might like the cuda' too..
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7780/08aarcudaconceptbydonbekv2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3636/07semacuda03yt5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Excessive Force
12-14-2007, 09:40 PM
I had heard there was a concept Cuda. Is it set for production? Mopar sure is doing a hell of a job with the retro look on these cars, had to do a double take on that cuda.

HocusPocus
12-14-2007, 09:46 PM
not sure if its true but according to the service writer where i get my truck serviced. i asked him about the price on the challenger and he just laughed and said they already have a list of people bidding on them. :(

Excessive Force
12-14-2007, 09:48 PM
not sure if its true but according to the service writer where i get my truck serviced. i asked him about the price on the challenger and he just laughed and said they already have a list of people bidding on them. :(
i read the first 3 to roll off the assembly line will be auctioned off at that famous auction, forgot what its called

BrendellaJet
12-14-2007, 09:58 PM
allowing dealers to bid up the prices is a good way to make sure this car doesn't last.

pw_Tony
12-14-2007, 10:13 PM
allowing dealers to bid up the prices is a good way to make sure this car doesn't last.
Oh it'll last.... they'll have the daily driver version

BoatPI
12-15-2007, 04:58 AM
The concept depicts the grill of a 71' Challenger. Production models will have a 70' style grill that is sort of an egg crate grill and much nicer. The blue Challenger posted is a 72'.

Baja Big Dog
12-15-2007, 08:29 AM
"From concept to production"...what? Just busted out the old stamps and rounded them out a little...thats a great look!!!!
I want one....:D

Not So Fast
12-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Thats hot, no doubt!
Hopefully the auction wont be like the custom Challenger that went for $500,000+ on Barrett/Jackson, thats focking silly, although it was a very cool ride.
Am I missing something here, with gas prices looking to go no where but up, the car companies are going to produce muscle cars:idea: Although I was surprised at the stated fuel economy for the normal 5.7 Hemi in the Dodge line. The sticker said like 25mpg highway??? NSF

ULTRA26 # 1
12-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Thats hot, no doubt!
Hopefully the auction wont be like the custom Challenger that went for $500,000+ on Barrett/Jackson, thats focking silly, although it was a very cool ride.
Am I missing something here, with gas prices looking to go no where but up, the car companies are going to produce muscle cars:idea: Although I was surprised at the stated fuel economy for the normal 5.7 Hemi in the Dodge line. The sticker said like 25mpg highway??? NSF
Bobby, the 07 505 Hp Corvette Z06 is rated at 26 mpg highway. :D :D

Excessive Force
12-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Thats hot, no doubt!
On the bright side...The winnings from the auction are supposed to go to a kids charity.

Not So Fast
12-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Bobby, the 07 505 Hp Corvette Z06 is rated at 26 mpg highway. :D :D
Hell, then I'm buying one:D :D NSF

pw_Tony
12-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Thats hot, no doubt!
MDS baby, make that V8 a 4 cylinder in a split second :)

Flyinbowtie
12-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Thinking back I cannot remember the last time I looked at pictures of a new automobile coming down the pipe that gets me as fired up as this machine does. I had a pal with a '70 440 4-speed Challenger that was legendary on the streets of North Long Beach back in 1974-76.
Everything they have built for the last 30 years looks to me like it was squeezed out a tube of toothpaste. (The lone exceptions being the C-6 Corvette and the new Mustang.
The retro-look needs to become the new look if they every want me to buy anything newer than 1972 again.
If the Barrett-Jackson Mentality doesn't destroy the car, I might just buy one.

spectras only
12-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Wonder if it will have a Hurst/pistol grip option like my 72 did ? Mine had the Motorola stereo casette and recording feature w/microphone :)
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/challenger2.jpg

wolfie
12-15-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm actually thinking about buying one after they get the bugs worked out. I'll buy the '09. I think it would look nice in the driveway next to the wife's Magnum.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSC_00061.JPG

pw_Tony
12-15-2007, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=spectras only;2945314]Wonder if it will have a Hurst/pistol grip option like my 72 did ? Mine had the Motorola stereo casette and recording feature w/microphone :)
QUOTE]
It's supposed to have a pistol grip