PDA

View Full Version : Allison transmission fluid change

Sweet Addiction
12-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Is there a trick to this? Or can I just drain the oil pull the bottom pan, change the internal filter and re-place the oil? I thought someone told me it had to be changed with a machine. If so I will just pay the dealer ship to change it. That way it is done right.

Smokin Cigarettes
12-16-2007, 05:48 PM
I would have them change it. I had a fuel filter go out in mine today. Filter had 2500 miles on it. Something about biodiesel? Its amazing that my 6.0 diesel excursion has no trouble with any diesel. These dmaxs are finicky. A transmission is expensive!

HatenWinter
12-16-2007, 06:03 PM
You'll only get about 7 quarts out by just draining the pan, there's another 7 in the torque converter and all the lines. It's probably best to have the whole system flushed or you'll have to drain the pan about 3 different times to get a complete fluid change.

Sweet Addiction
12-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Cool thanks. Sounds like I just need to go to the dealer and have them do it.

Jordy
12-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Cool thanks. Sounds like I just need to go to the dealer and have them do it.
Spend the money and have the system flushed and replaced with TranSynd. It's Allison's synthetic and will be good for 80K miles or more depending on how hard you use the truck. You'll notice cooler tranny temps right off the bat, as well as improved performance. ;)

BLOWN HOWARD
12-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Allison recomends dropping the pan and changing the internal filter at overhaul. But i do the spin on at every other oil change and drop the pan and do the internal once a yr. When i do the internal i flush the tranny through one of the cooler lines. Way cheaper to do it your self. Dealers are a rip off.