PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dan Fogelberg

RitcheyRch
12-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Just heard on the news he died today
http://cbs2.com/national/dan.fogelberg.soft.2.612156.html
Dan Fogelberg, the singer and songwriter whose hits "Leader of the Band" and "Same Old Lang Syne" helped define the soft-rock era, died Sunday at his home in Maine after battling prostate cancer.
His death was announced Sunday in a statement by Anna Loynes of the Solters & Digney public relations agency, and was also posted on the singer's Web site.
"Dan left us this morning at 6:00 a.m. He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife Jean at his side," it read. "His strength, dignity and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him."
Fogelberg was found in 2004 to have advanced prostate cancer. In a statement then, he thanked fans for their support: "It is truly overwhelming and humbling to realize how many lives my music has touched so deeply all these years. ... I thank you from the very depths of my heart."
Fogelberg's music was powerful in its simplicity. He didn't rely on the volume of his voice to convey his emotions; instead, they came through in the soft, tender delivery and his poignant lyrics. Songs like "Same Old Lang Syne" - in which a man reminisces after meeting an old girlfriend by chance during the holidays - became classics not only because of his performance, but for the engaging storyline, as well.

redneckcharlie
12-16-2007, 05:08 PM
:(

Boatcop
12-16-2007, 05:30 PM
I've enjoyed listening to and playing his music since the beginning. His collaboration with Tim Weisberg on Twin Sons of Different Mothers is one of the best "Soft Rock" albums of all times.
After the lawsuits against Heavy Metal artists for causing people to commit suicide, I always wondered if I could sue Dan for turning me into a wuss during the '70s.
I guess now, it's too late.
"And as I turned to make my way back home, the snow turned into rain."
Rest In Peace, Dan. :(

ULTRA26 # 1
12-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Just heard on the news he died today
http://cbs2.com/national/dan.fogelberg.soft.2.612156.html
Dan Fogelberg, the singer and songwriter whose hits "Leader of the Band" and "Same Old Lang Syne" helped define the soft-rock era, died Sunday at his home in Maine after battling prostate cancer.
His death was announced Sunday in a statement by Anna Loynes of the Solters & Digney public relations agency, and was also posted on the singer's Web site.
"Dan left us this morning at 6:00 a.m. He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife Jean at his side," it read. "His strength, dignity and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him."
Fogelberg was found in 2004 to have advanced prostate cancer. In a statement then, he thanked fans for their support: "It is truly overwhelming and humbling to realize how many lives my music has touched so deeply all these years. ... I thank you from the very depths of my heart."
Fogelberg's music was powerful in its simplicity. He didn't rely on the volume of his voice to convey his emotions; instead, they came through in the soft, tender delivery and his poignant lyrics. Songs like "Same Old Lang Syne" - in which a man reminisces after meeting an old girlfriend by chance during the holidays - became classics not only because of his performance, but for the engaging storyline, as well.
Boy that sucks. I met Dan a few times when one of my buddies was playing bass for him, in the early 90's. In fact it was Jay Photoglou's uncle Jim
RIP Dan

Baja Big Dog
12-16-2007, 05:45 PM
:( :( :(

Jbb
12-16-2007, 05:47 PM
:(

SummerBreeze
12-16-2007, 06:04 PM
I went to one of his concerts back in the day
RIP Dan

BoatPI
12-16-2007, 06:17 PM
"Put me in coach", now you are in Dan. R.I.P.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Prostate cancer is very, very common.
Get checked and early detection can save your life.
Our whole family, even parents love his music.

coolchange
12-16-2007, 06:30 PM
I was raised on a river
weaned on the sky

little rowe boat
12-16-2007, 06:55 PM
My 7th or 8th grade reading teacher was a friend of his and had him come by our school one morning and sit in our class and sing some songs while he strummed the acoustic guitar( Thanks Mr. Cook ). At the time none of us new who he was. This was 1975 or 76. I saw him at a small venue in Vail Colorado in 1984.
Very sad.

73kona455
12-16-2007, 06:57 PM
:( :(

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Gosh, I remember I LOVED this song when I was a little kid. I still do.
Same Old Lang Syne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NmdFgFyhnk)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-16-2007, 06:59 PM
My 7th or 8th grade reading teacher was a friend of his and had him come by our school one morning and sit in our class and sing some songs while he strummed the acoustic guitar( Thanks Mr. Cook ). At the time none of us new who he was. This was 1975 or 76. I saw him at a small venue in Vail Colorado in 1984.
Very sad.
What a treat :)

little rowe boat
12-16-2007, 07:08 PM
What a treat :)
Looking back, it sure was.

caroftheweek
12-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Gosh, I remember I LOVED this song when I was a little kid. I still do.
Same Old Lang Syne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NmdFgFyhnk)
I heard this song twice today on XM's "Holly" station. He had great music. Every song had a story and it was always engaging to listen to.
RIP Dan:(

~FM
12-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Aww, man that sucks. :( Cancer takes too damn many talented people.
My heart goes out to his family, friends and other fans for the loss.

Towndrunk
05-30-2008, 12:41 PM
When did he move from Pagosa Springs, Co ? He and his wife had a horse ranch there last time I talked to him. We went to school together.

Throttle
05-30-2008, 02:28 PM
my first concert, Dan Fogelberg... who. I still remember it and still enjoy listening to some of the tunes.