PDA

View Full Version : TV shopping. What should I buy/avoid in a 52"

wsm9808
12-16-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm shopping for a 52" to fit over our fireplace mantle.
I havent bought a TV in 15 years and dont really care about the newest hottest gotta have it crap. Looking for the best picture and longest trouble free life.
I have heard the LCDs are the way to go and that the plasmas are breaking down. What is the real deal?

Trailer Park Casanova
12-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Sony Bravia LCD from COSTCO

brianthomas
12-17-2007, 06:06 AM
I bought three LCD sets last year. Two were for the boat, 19 inch and 13 inch. One for the bedroom was a 32 inch. None of the three made it four months.

HocusPocus
12-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Sony Bravia LCD from COSTCO
A second for Sony and a second for Costco. The first Sony tv i bought lasted for 17 years and you can't beat Costco's return policy

racecar.hotshoe
12-17-2007, 07:41 AM
I have a 50'' plasma I was going to put it above the fireplace but I didnt know what the heat would do to it.?

Jyruiz
12-17-2007, 07:48 AM
I'm shopping for a 52" to fit over our fireplace mantle.
I havent bought a TV in 15 years and dont really care about the newest hottest gotta have it crap. Looking for the best picture and longest trouble free life.
I have heard the LCDs are the way to go and that the plasmas are breaking down. What is the real deal?
Basically, you get what you pay for. You want it to last, get a name brand that has been around for a while, wether plasma or LCD. In the 52" arena, you will only see LCD's, if you have a lot of light in the room and you will be sitting in front of the set, then get and LCD. The viewing angles of LCD are not as good as plasma. If you can control the light and want a better picture, go with plasma.

Jyruiz
12-17-2007, 07:50 AM
I have a 50'' plasma I was going to put it above the fireplace but I didnt know what the heat would do to it.?
Hard to tell with out knowing exactly how hot it gets above the fireplace.

phebus
12-17-2007, 07:51 AM
We had ours above the fireplace at our last house. The mantel stopped the convected current from traveling straight up to where it was mounted, and it didn't get very warm up there. Plus, it was one of the zero clearance type of fireplaces, and they aren't very good at projecting heat out into the room anyway. More for looks then heat.
Never had any problems.

Jordan_23_85205
12-17-2007, 08:07 AM
I have a 50" Pioneer Elite above my fireplace and I've had no issues. It's been there for 3 years now.
I think the question would be how often do you use your fireplace? I turn mine on 2-3 times a week from Dec thru Feb. Then it's off for 9 months.
I'll send you a picture if you want to see?
K

franky
12-17-2007, 12:02 PM
LG 50" plasma in the bedroom...it is just a beautiful picture.

Redwing247
12-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Sharp AQUOS 52 "
$2499 @ Costco

racecar.hotshoe
12-17-2007, 12:24 PM
I have a 50" Pioneer Elite above my fireplace and I've had no issues. It's been there for 3 years now.
I think the question would be how often do you use your fireplace? I turn mine on 2-3 times a week from Dec thru Feb. Then it's off for 9 months.
I'll send you a picture if you want to see?
K
I use my fireplace everyday in the winter..

rodnjen
12-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Sharp AQUOS 52 "
$2499 @ Costco
I agree, one of the best sets for the money. Although, I haven't bought one yet.

delemorte
12-17-2007, 01:30 PM
LCD FTW. Plasmas look great but they break easy and can not be fixed or recharged as some might tell you. It has a half life so once it starts to dim there aint jack you can do about it but replace it.

Jyruiz
12-17-2007, 01:34 PM
LCD FTW. Plasmas look great but they break easy and can not be fixed or recharged as some might tell you. It has a half life so once it starts to dim there aint jack you can do about it but replace it.
It is true that plasmas can't be recharged, but break easy and half life is incorrect. Plasmas have the same life as LCD's, and see how much it is to replace the florescent lamps in the LCD when they go out and I bet you won't be getting that fix.

MKEELINE
12-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Last time I was at Costco they had a Sony 52"(I think) projection tv for $1500. To me the picture looked great, but I've had an old RCA Home Theater projection for the last 10 years. What's the deal with these, besides the size? Is the picture not as clear as the LCD?

mbrown2
12-17-2007, 01:45 PM
TV's, since the dawn of LCD and Plasma technologies, are becoming commoditized disposable technolgies like computers. If they last beyond the warranty and provide 2-3 years of use, they will most likely be replaced versus repaired if the break beyond the 3 year lifecycle. This is far beyond the meantime to failure for either plasma or lcd... The technology 3 years out will most likely be cheaper to replace versus repair and the additional benefits, higher resolution, lighter weight, and more energy efficient will cause people to buy versus repair...

Jyruiz
12-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Last time I was at Costco they had a Sony 52"(I think) projection tv for $1500. To me the picture looked great, but I've had an old RCA Home Theater projection for the last 10 years. What's the deal with these, besides the size? Is the picture not as clear as the LCD?
Sony's rear projection sets actually look better than rear projection LCD TV's and some times better than DLP rear projection TV's. Sony takes the LCOS chips and modyfies them, Sony calls there technology SXRD. It is a 3 chip system that uses a light bulp/lamp. The drawbacks are viewing angles, geometry and convergance.

MKEELINE
12-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Sony's rear projection sets actually look better than rear projection LCD TV's and some times better than DLP rear projection TV's. Sony takes the LCOS chips and modyfies them, Sony calls there technology SXRD. It is a 3 chip system that uses a light bulp/lamp. The drawbacks are viewing angles, geometry and convergance.
I'm not sure what alot of that means but it sounds "ok". It just seemed like a good value.

Jordan_23_85205
12-17-2007, 02:56 PM
It is true that plasmas can't be recharged, but break easy and half life is incorrect. Plasmas have the same life as LCD's, and see how much it is to replace the florescent lamps in the LCD when they go out and I bet you won't be getting that fix.
I totally agree! Everyone told me I would have burn in issues and that it woundl't last as long. I'm currently on year three and it's on 8-10 hours a day and I have no burn in issues and it's still crystal clear.
However, we are upgrading from the Pioneer 50" to the new 65" Sharp Aquos. Time to put the Pioneer into my bedroom:devil:

purrfecttremor
12-17-2007, 03:04 PM
I have a 50" pioneer elite and its been great and has the best pic ive seen anywhere.Also have a 42" phillips plasma upstairs and not half the pic of the elite.

Jyruiz
12-17-2007, 03:16 PM
I totally agree! Everyone told me I would have burn in issues and that it woundl't last as long. I'm currently on year three and it's on 8-10 hours a day and I have no burn in issues and it's still crystal clear.
However, we are upgrading from the Pioneer 50" to the new 65" Sharp Aquos. Time to put the Pioneer into my bedroom:devil:
Look at the new Pioneers, the Kuro series, it is by far the best set out today.

Jordan_23_85205
12-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Look at the new Pioneers, the Kuro series, it is by far the best set out today.
I'll take a look tonight. I got approval from the wife to buy the Aquos a few weeks ago, now I'm working on a New HD DVD player and maybe a few new speakers for the bedroom. Got to have 5 to 1 when I move the Pioneer in there:devil:
Thanks for the information.

Jyruiz
12-17-2007, 03:38 PM
I'll take a look tonight. I got approval from the wife to buy the Aquos a few weeks ago, now I'm working on a New HD DVD player and maybe a few new speakers for the bedroom. Go to have 5 to 1 when I move the Pioneer in there:devil:
Thaks for the information.
The largest size Kuro is 60 inches, but it looks amazing.

cc322
12-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Just picked up a Samsung 56" DLP slim face IMO it is a very nice tv but when you are not running HD channels some regular channels look bad:confused: especially ch 13. Movies run through a dvd hd up converter look awsome. I did some research and found as far as DLP go Samsung is the Top Dawg followed by Mitsubishi. I looked real hard at Plasmas and would buy one in a heart beat, still might for the bedroom.

Boozer
12-17-2007, 04:04 PM
I recently went through this same thing.
Ultimately I bought a Vizio Plasma at WalMart. Here's why...
WalMarts return policy is simple and straight forward, as long as you have the receipt you can return the item whether it be 4 months or 4 years. I am however thinking about exchanging the Vizio plasma for the 52" Sharp Aquos.

Ivan Dan
12-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Just picked up a Samsung 56" DLP slim face IMO it is a very nice tv but when you are not running HD channels some regular channels look bad:confused: especially ch 13. Movies run through a dvd hd up converter look awsome. I did some research and found as far as DLP go Samsung is the Top Dawg followed by Mitsubishi. I looked real hard at Plasmas and would buy one in a heart beat, still might for the bedroom.
I think programming on Ch. 13 is bad no matter what TV you have. I've been recording UFC Wired on 13 and the picture quality is HORRIBLE.

Ivan Dan
12-17-2007, 04:18 PM
I recently went through this same thing.
Ultimately I bought a Vizio Plasma at WalMart. Here's why...
WalMarts return policy is simple and straight forward, as long as you have the receipt you can return the item whether it be 4 months or 4 years. I am however thinking about exchanging the Vizio plasma for the 52" Sharp Aquos.
Speaking of this Sharp....anyone have experience buying TV's off of these internet places like this (http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/plasma-lcd-televisions/m/26497892/zip_code=92882)?

malibuken
12-17-2007, 08:15 PM
One of the hottest LCDs on the market right now is the 52 Sony Bravia XBR-5. You will not believe the picture on this panel.

ULTRA26 # 1
12-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Samsung or Sony

Phat Matt
12-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Which model did you get? I am waiting for mine to be delivered in a week. It has the LED light engine.

riverroyal
12-17-2007, 08:35 PM
50 inch from costco,no complaints,great price.