PDA

View Full Version : tbi to vortec swap

jet4fun
12-17-2007, 07:15 PM
just wondering if anyone knows the legalities (and difficulty) of converting a 95 tbi 350 to a vortec small block. i was thinking of either finding a wrecked truck cheap, or getting some kind of a crate motor. i know i would need to change the wire harness/computer, fuel pump... but other than that how difficult? and how would it work with CA smog laws?

brianthomas
12-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Along with the intake the heads are different also. Seems I remember the cooling system was changed. The only thing that the throttle body injected motors and the MPFI motors have in common is the short block.

fastsanger
12-17-2007, 10:10 PM

jet4fun
12-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Along with the intake the heads are different also. Seems I remember the cooling system was changed. The only thing that the throttle body injected motors and the MPFI motors have in common is the short block.
yes, i know. i was planning on doing an entire engine swap. preferably something with much less mileage. i am just wondering what the problems will be (if any) to stay legal within the smog laws. and is this going to be a simple bolt-in installation like i think it should be? i was gonna try and find a wrecked 96-98 truck since i think this would be the easiest one to do the swap with.:idea:

jet4fun
12-17-2007, 11:14 PM
or should i just put a better set of cylinder heads and convert it to mpfi?
basically my goal here is to get a little better gas mileage while also getting some better performance. my understanding is that the vortec engines of the late 90's do both much better than my tbi motor. there is not anything wrong with my motor right now mechanically. it is just a pig and a gas hog. and seems to me like for a few thousand invested i can have an entirely different beast.
i would not be opposed to going something even newer than that, like the 5.3 motors. but seems to me like if i keep it in the same body style and type of engine than that will prob. be a lot easier and doable.