PDA

View Full Version : Is Commander Boats out of business?

Extreme Liquid 3
04-24-2008, 11:35 AM
We went by the factory in Perris on 4/22 and the property was empty. A lady said the bank had seized the property. All of their molds were sitting in a dirt lot next store. Does anyone know whats goin on?

Extreme Liquid 3
04-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Oh??? I was just asking since I have a 32 Commander and wanted to know whats goin on

Chip Lacy Racing Engines
04-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Yep, they've folded.

Sportin' Wood
04-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Yes, it's about week old news over there.

Devilman
04-24-2008, 12:39 PM
lol :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10158oldnewsfunny.jpg

Mandelon
04-24-2008, 08:01 PM
I am sure this will make all existing Commander boats go way up in value. You know, since they are now going to be more rare and collectible! :D

mobldj
04-24-2008, 08:24 PM
I am sure this will make all existing Commander boats go way up in value. You know, since they are now going to be more rare and collectible! :D
sure will , just like the cost of service on a obsolete brand of boat.catch 22 :jawdrop:

hkunz
04-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Could it be the way there were put together? We test drove a Commander when we were shopping for the deck boat that ended up with us buying an Advantage. The boat rattled like it was coming apart, and it was less than 6 months old.

Two K's
04-25-2008, 04:06 PM
I wonder what's going to happen to their molds? I liked the looks of their 28' sport deck non canopy. I flew to cali to check them out and I didn't care at all for their build quality. A waste of good looking molds.

Hardly Satisfied
04-25-2008, 05:25 PM
We went by the factory in Perris on 4/22 and the property was empty. A lady said the bank had seized the property. All of their molds were sitting in a dirt lot next store. Does anyone know whats goin on?
My buddy got a call this last sunday and was told that he had 2 days to pick up his boat from there because the bank was seizing the property.

cxr133
04-25-2008, 08:45 PM
My buddy got a call this last sunday and was told that he had 2 days to pick up his boat from there because the bank was seizing the property.
when is the auction???:devil:

Two K's
04-27-2008, 05:18 AM
maybe the molds will end up on boat mold trader or something like that. I hope someone buys them and turns them into a better built boat.Too bad they didn't sell the company before this happened.

cc322
04-27-2008, 09:25 AM
I have allways thought that some of there molds were very nice, hope they get put to good use.

Hardly Satisfied
04-27-2008, 05:53 PM
when is the auction???:devil:
DON'T KNOW

Two K's
04-28-2008, 12:16 PM
If any body gets any info, let us know. Curious to know what happens to the molds

Havasu1986
04-28-2008, 03:46 PM
A e-mail from last week on another boating site.
Contrary to what you have been hearing, we are not closing the shop toady or tomorrow.
The following is taking place:
1. We did lose the factory real estate to the bank. This was mainly due to the steps that we should have taken, but didn't. It was partly due to our own fault plus the misinformation that we had from the experts that we relied on. It is a long story and a BIG loss of equity for us. We would still see if we could do something about it.
2. We have rented the next door facility. It has more acreage than we had in our facility. We have moved all the mold and a whole lot of our business property there. However, the place is limited in what we can do there.
3. Steve, will continue to manage sales out of Corona, working in collaboration with Spa place proprietor, next to our previous showroom, off 91 FWY.
4. We plan to use a shop in Lake Elsinore for mechanical work.
5. Temporarily, we will do the fiberglass work at another location.
Thus, we are trying to piece this puzzle together, as we hope to have a smoother operation soon.
Please let us know if we can provide any more information to you.
Sy Singhal

TCHB
04-28-2008, 07:18 PM
I wonder how many other Southern California Boat companies will be gone by the end of the year. With gas prices, housing market, and credit tighter it is a perfect storm for the boat industry.

Chip Lacy Racing Engines
04-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Commander isn't making much effort to get the word out of their status.
"Oh,, ahhh, by the way,, errr,,, ahhhh, we've rented the place next door,, and our molds are in the mud & weeds for now,,, but errr,,, ahhh,,,, we'll figure something out,,,,,,, eventually, if I can't sell this operation, or what's left of it.."
Some die-hard, loyal, Commander owners out there deserve better takes from Sy.
Commander is the slowest dying boat builder of all time.

cc322
04-29-2008, 06:19 AM
I wonder how many other Southern California Boat companies will be gone by the end of the year. With gas prices, housing market, and credit tighter it is a perfect storm for the boat industry.
I think you will see some of the smaller companys close the doors? The big guys that have have been around a while like Elim, Lavey, Howard, Hallet will be fine. I wonder in theses times if there will be a push for smaller more affordable boat maybe with smaller engines as well, say like a 21 with a 6.2 or something.

YldBoyz
04-29-2008, 08:55 AM
That suck, I did hear that they fold. I thought it was a rumor.

Ziggy
04-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Only time will tell if Sy can get it operational again.
I do appreciate the fact he called people to get their boats before they ended up behind locked gates.

jammin
04-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Is it any wonder that Sy's inability to stand behind his warrantee and make repairs to manufacturing defects of his boats as well as his business ethics has gotten him in this situation. This time he tried to play hard ball with a bigger baller and has been shown his place. Bye Sy.

Two K's
04-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Only time will tell if Sy can get it operational again.
I do appreciate the fact he called people to get their boats before they ended up behind locked gates.
I agree with you. Their website is still working. I hope their abe to weather their storm and come out it building a quality boat. they are cool looking boats. Good luck to them.

Burn504
04-29-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree with you. Their website is still working. I hope their abe to weather their storm and come out it building a quality boat. they are cool looking boats. Good luck to them.
usually its the bank or landlord that calls to get the stuff out. Once the place has been seized by the bank the business owner cannot go on property. Nice thought but i dont thats how it happened. The bank only wants assets that they can sell not product that can be claimed by a consumer.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
04-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Could it be the way there were put together? We test drove a Commander when we were shopping for the deck boat that ended up with us buying an Advantage. The boat rattled like it was coming apart, and it was less than 6 months old.
mmmmm I heard those same sounds coming from an Advantage as I passed it mmm must be the water :D

Two K's
06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
any new news about commander

frogger1403
07-15-2008, 03:31 AM
any news about them?

Chip Lacy Racing Engines
07-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Nope still deader than ever and still blaming everyone else for their mistakes.

ahhell
07-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I love the Commander bashers on this site....How many of you have ever owned one??? Thats what I thought. Yes I own one and have never had a problem with it...That wasnt my fault. Commander has problems just like alot of other boat builders and they have "consolidated" showroom and factory to hopefully continue building affordable boats for the average joe...like me
rant over..........:eek:

Ziggy
07-20-2008, 08:55 PM
I love the Commander bashers on this site....How many of you have ever owned one??? Thats what I thought. Yes I own one and have never had a problem with it...That wasnt my fault. Commander has problems just like alot of other boat builders and they have "consolidated" showroom and factory to hopefully continue building affordable boats for the average joe...like me
Actually the plant is closed down now too...gates locked up, molds in the field next door.....:(
Both mine were and have treated me perfectly.

frogger1403
07-21-2008, 12:07 AM
I used to be Commander's dealer in Germany that's where my interest comes from.
As quality and customer service was poor, I stopped selling Commanders.
But the boats are really beautiful, I always liked them
HEiko

Itzme
07-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Good riddence...never liked those boats, ugly, and never heard one good thing about them from those whom I knew owned one....I did it right and bought a bayliner....never had one problem.....:devil:

HDF WATERDOG
07-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Ah, where is the new place?

Ziggy
07-21-2008, 10:53 PM
I used to be Commander's dealer in Germany that's where my interest comes from.
As quality and customer service was poor, I stopped selling Commanders.
But the boats are really beautiful, I always liked them
HEiko
Ich hab zwei und die sind beide gut.

Hardly Satisfied
07-22-2008, 09:51 AM
A e-mail from last week on another boating site.
Contrary to what you have been hearing, we are not closing the shop toady or tomorrow.
The following is taking place:
1. We did lose the factory real estate to the bank. This was mainly due to the steps that we should have taken, but didn't. It was partly due to our own fault plus the misinformation that we had from the experts that we relied on. It is a long story and a BIG loss of equity for us. We would still see if we could do something about it.
2. We have rented the next door facility. It has more acreage than we had in our facility. We have moved all the mold and a whole lot of our business property there. However, the place is limited in what we can do there.
3. Steve, will continue to manage sales out of Corona, working in collaboration with Spa place proprietor, next to our previous showroom, off 91 FWY.
4. We plan to use a shop in Lake Elsinore for mechanical work.
5. Temporarily, we will do the fiberglass work at another location.
Thus, we are trying to piece this puzzle together, as we hope to have a smoother operation soon.
Please let us know if we can provide any more information to you.
Sy Singhal
They have a Ad in the boattrader last week for new boats.

H20 Toie
07-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Well i have owned one :( I understand that any boat can have a problem, but it was the way they handled the issue that pissed me off).
My gas tank got a hole in it from rubbing on the wood screws that fell out that were suppose to hold the tank in. When i take it back to them i was told that it has been a problem but that now they thru bolt the tanks and do not use screws.
When i asked why didnt you mention that there was this type of problem last week when the boat was in for service his answer was that they cant inform everyone and that most of the time the screws fall all the way to the bottom and dont put holes in the tanks.
Since my infant daughter was in the boat at the time that the tank failed i wasn't really to thrilled with the answer.
Two weeks later i get a call with the estimate to fix the boat. $4500. ( tank/carpet/labor)
Not under warranty since the boat is over a year old. even though the damage was caused becuase of the way they built the boat.
So i went and picked up the boat and took it to another shop expecting to pay a lot more since they would have to find the correct carpet and tanks.
When i go get it it was $2800 and they had to fix the other tank also since it had holes almost all the way thru.
My family could have been hurt of killed becuase of the construction and they knew there was a problem, as far as i am concerned i hope they never sell another boat.

4DAY4PLAY
07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Well i have owned one :( I understand that any boat can have a problem, but it was the way they handled the issue that pissed me off).
My gas tank got a hole in it from rubbing on the wood screws that fell out that were suppose to hold the tank in. When i take it back to them i was told that it has been a problem but that now they thru bolt the tanks and do not use screws.
When i asked why didnt you mention that there was this type of problem last week when the boat was in for service his answer was that they cant inform everyone and that most of the time the screws fall all the way to the bottom and dont put holes in the tanks.
Since my infant daughter was in the boat at the time that the tank failed i wasn't really to thrilled with the answer.
Two weeks later i get a call with the estimate to fix the boat. $4500. ( tank/carpet/labor)
Not under warranty since the boat is over a year old. even though the damage was caused becuase of the way they built the boat.
So i went and picked up the boat and took it to another shop expecting to pay a lot more since they would have to find the correct carpet and tanks.
When i go get it it was $2800 and they had to fix the other tank also since it had holes almost all the way thru.
My family could have been hurt of killed becuase of the construction and they knew there was a problem, as far as i am concerned i hope they never sell another boat.
U could be hurt or killed walking your doggie.......thats life. Anyways im a former commander owner and had very little problems with my boat, but i can say that im soooooooooooooooo glad that i sold it a few months before the news about there going under came out,(i had an inside tip;) my guess is resale dropped probably 10-20% more just cause of that not to mention gas prices, economy etc.

tamalewagon
07-23-2008, 08:30 AM
U could be hurt or killed walking your doggie.......thats life. Anyways im a former commander owner and had very little problems with my boat, but i can say that im soooooooooooooooo glad that i sold it a few months before the news about there going under came out,(i had an inside tip;) my guess is resale dropped probably 10-20% more just cause of that not to mention gas prices, economy etc.
Interesting fatalistic attitude. :idea:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-28-2008, 09:00 PM
:idea:

SHOTKALLIN
08-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Commander has some great looking boats. Their gel coats are fabulous. I just didn't care for the quality put into the rubrail. I asked sy if they had a rub rail upgrade and he said no.:eek:
so i bought elsewhere.

Two K's
09-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Any new news? Would like to know what going to happen to the molds

rshrp2003
09-10-2008, 06:29 PM
I thought this thread was dead along time ago They still have a web site showing boats for sale

ssingh6700
02-18-2011, 05:11 PM
We are addressing this forum, as one of our valued customers just brought the reports on this thread to our attention.
It is important that we present this information to our loyal customers and interested patrons, whom we credit the Commander Boats' rise to the top of the custom boat industry.

At the present time, we are running a low-cost and low-profile operation, in keeping with the challenging economic times. We expect to emerge out this contracted mode of operation, once the economy affords better opportunities.

Following are the relevant facts in this context:
I. We did NOT go out of business.
More importantly, Commander Boats did not cease its operations even for a single
day.
We undertook a drastic downsizing of our operations, in keeping with the
economy.
II. We closed our sales showroom in Corona, off 91 FWY, before the start of the
year 2008 and we moved out of the Perris Factory location in April 2008.
III. Following are the relevant details, concerning our relocation and downsizing:
1. Our sales and business office is presently located at 1011 East 3rd Street,
Corona, CA 92505. We are also performing service work at this location.
2. We have an additional service and storage facility in Perris, at a different location.
3. We are storing our molds at another location, near the Corona showroom.
4. We are still contemplating to consolidate the operations at one location, when
we have the opportunity to do so.

Thus, we are trying to piece this puzzle together, as the economy would permit.

Thank you.

Sy