PDA

View Full Version : Sea water pump gasket?

fed4life
05-27-2008, 07:53 PM
I have a 2003 21' Aftershock Tornado with a Merc 350 MAG MPI and Bravo 1 drive. When the engine is NOT running there is slow but steady stream comming from the sea water pump where the two casings meet. Its enough water that my automatic bilge kicks on about every hour and does its thing, however when the engine IS running it doesnt leak.
I know from meeting the previous owner this weekend in Parker that at the end of last season he had a new impeller and thermostat put in and i had all the fluids and filters replaced prior to Memorial Day.
The boat runs great and i dont have any overheating problems at all. The hottest the temp gauge gets too is maybe 175 and thats having the throttle hammered all the way for an extended period of time but cools right back down again after i let off.
So my question are:
Is this normal? (im guessing not)
Have any of you out there had this same problem?
Do you thinks its just the gasket? (it doesnt look like there is any cracks on the cassings from what i can tell)
Is it easily fixable if its just a gasket and can i do it with basic hand tools or is this a job that i should leave to a proff. merc tech?
I appreciate any and all responses and advice. I know it may or may not be a serious problem but i wana try and get anything that looks wrong fixed before it turns into something major and costs alot more.