PDA

View Full Version : Smoke or steam

WetNwild
05-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Hello, I just baught my first Jet (except for my watercraft)and i'm unfamiliar with it. Its a 1977 19 ft. Omega with a stock Ford 460 and a jucizie jet. I took it out to the lake to test it out and it ran good but it puts off allot of wight smoke or steem. The exost is stiking out the back about water level, is this steam from the heat or is it smoke from the engine? Also, dose any one know about what RPM this moter should run?

triple x tx
05-12-2002, 09:46 PM
its probably smoke....keep an eye on your oil......the motor should turn around 4500 rpms if its basicly stock

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-12-2002, 10:48 PM
Your headers are supposed to produce steam when you are running. Start the boat up on the trailer and you will definately know if its steam or oil.

GofastRacer
05-13-2002, 04:56 AM
If you are seing white, it's steam, if it was smoke, it would be blue... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Gofast is right on.

Hallett19
05-13-2002, 10:00 AM
dude, there should be no smoke at all coming out, that means you have a blown piston or a gaping hole in the block !!!! Actually no, that is wrong, there should be steam coming from the exhaust if the boat is running at temp.

hoolign
05-13-2002, 11:32 AM
any water in your oil?both sides steamin the same amount?

wsm9808
05-13-2002, 12:20 PM
With through hull exhaust like yours, the cooling water that runs through the engine is then routed to the exhaust riser bolted to the rear of the exhaust manifold where it is mixed with the exiting exhaust gasses. The water keeps the rubber exhaust hose from melting from the exhaust heat and keeps the transom from catching on fire from the heat. As a side effect, some of the water is turned to steam as the exhaust hits it. So... yes you should get some steam and quite a bit of water spitting out of your exhaust tips.
[This message has been edited by wsm9808 (edited May 13, 2002).]

WetNwild
05-14-2002, 09:36 PM
thanks for the info, I started it up today on the trailer and it ran good with no smoke or steam. Now I can think about my new problem, the floor is rotted out. Its my first boat and I just cut out a 10 by 4 foot section of my floor. starting to feel like im in over my head.

wsm9808
05-15-2002, 04:44 AM
Naw, your not in over your head till you have a storey for the "ever sank?" thread. Putting in a floor is not too complicated, but it is a fairly large project. I would put it off till fall, unless you need the motivation of going to the lake this summer to keep working on it. The last one I did only took a week or so working on it an hour or two a night.