PDA

View Full Version : Deck boat / Party cat easy to drive?

Mountainstone
06-08-2008, 03:28 AM
I think a small (22 - 24') party cat or similar (Cheetah?) deck boat will meet my needs for our next boat, but I have never even seen one in real life, much less piloted one. I have operated 18' - 20' runabouts since I was ten years old, and recently sold our 18' Sea Doo jet boat. How steep is the learning curve on one of these 'low-speed' cat decks? Am I gonna hurt myself or the boat driving it like a small v-hull? Is there anything I need to know before trying one, or can I pick it up by just taking it easy and exploring the performance envelope gradually?
Thanx!

twocents
06-08-2008, 09:23 AM
If you're in the market for a "smaller" performance deckboat, make sure you check-out the new Domn8er 25 dual console model. It just came out about a month ago. Exceptional performance and really easy to drive -- you'll have no problems! With Mercury 525EFI power it's an honest 80 mph on the top end. If you want something a little more tame, go for Mercury 496 MAG HO or standard 496 MAG power (that will put you in the high 60s to low 70s). Very nice workmanship and the boat is remarkly quiet -- no lids, hatches or doors rattling like a lot of deckboats. Very honest people to deal with. If you're interested, talk to Dory at their Lake Havasu operation at (928) 505-4078 -- he has a demo boat in-stock.

hkunz
06-08-2008, 05:46 PM
They don't have to be "low speed". The Cheetah 26 Wildcat is fast with a 525, but can be run slow, as well, say with a 496. The cat-based deck boats all handle like, well, cats. They turn flat, or flatter than a v-hull. Even a modified tunnel will turn at more of an angle than a cat-based deck boat. That said, they are very stable, and you really needent worry about blowing over unless you get big power and go fast in nasty water.

vmjtc3
06-09-2008, 07:18 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head . Take it slow and get used to the boat. They are a great family boat. I just sold my deck. I had a fastcat 24 by cheetah. It was a good family boat but I am going to step up to something a little nicer :)

atomickitn
06-10-2008, 10:22 AM
I think a small (22 - 24') party cat or similar (Cheetah?) deck boat will meet my needs for our next boat, but I have never even seen one in real life, much less piloted one. I have operated 18' - 20' runabouts since I was ten years old, and recently sold our 18' Sea Doo jet boat. How steep is the learning curve on one of these 'low-speed' cat decks? Am I gonna hurt myself or the boat driving it like a small v-hull? Is there anything I need to know before trying one, or can I pick it up by just taking it easy and exploring the performance envelope gradually?
Thanx!
to answer your question... I do own a 24 fast cat ...and I love it.. it is farily simpleto drive.. to a point...it is roomy and has great manners... I have pulled multiple skiers as well as wake boarders and tubes.. it has generaly a nice wake.... but what you asked was is it easy to drive.. yes to a point...with any cat there will be some leen when turning at speed... you should take some time and learn how to drive no matter what ... any time you need to make a hard turn you should throttle down ... to a safer speed... if you are ever out this way and in havasu and would like a ride.. hit me up Id be happy to to take you for a putt... I do recommend that no matter what type of boat you are looking for please shop around, and ask as many questions as you can possibly think of.. and ask for a test ride.. most manufactures would be happy to set something up for you... happy hunting..

Partycattin
06-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I went from a 20' Cheetah to a 22' Party cat. It took a little bit of adjusting but the Party cat is pretty easy to handle.
The biggest thing to get used to is the CAT steer. If you have the trim all the way down, it can be some work to keep it straight. Once you get some hours behind the wheel, and know where to trim it at, it almost drives itself.
My 9 year old daughter takes the wheel occasionally when the lake is calm and not to busy.
The smaller boat was more fun to turn (like a go cart) but it's nice to be able to go 50 mph in some chop and still be comfortable.
I went with the Partycat over the Cheetah decks because it seemed to have a lot more storage below the deck. It's been a great boat for us.

Mountainstone
06-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanx everybody! I feel better about trying one now.

jayd_jr
06-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanx!
I own a cheetah 24 deckboat. Very easy to drive and a great family boat. As far as the learning curve, if you take your time you will learn the cat tendancies. The 24 was my first baot and I love it. You should have no problems.