PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Above Ground Spa

Krumbsnatcher
06-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Ok who has what brand, how much did you spend, service and any recommendations would be helpful.
What do like or dis like about the spa?:D
What would you do different if you had to do it all over again?
Thanks in advance the wife wants one in our backyard today, seriously i need to get one by the end of this week. Any help will be appreciated.
Jeff

rshrp2003
06-09-2008, 10:14 AM
1st.... buy one used , there are probably alot of repo's out there right now you will pay about half the price also consider surfaces other than fiberglass , it will wear out quicker and also factor in the price of electrical service as you usually need a dedicated line and shut off , it cost me about 1200.00 years ago and concrete pad $$$$ can't remember the price.

cc322
06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
I have a Jacuzzi Premium, very nice unit. I think I paid 6000.00 they also own Sundance spas iso 9000 very good spas.

david_396
06-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I agree on a used spa. Plenty for sale on craigslist. Some even being given away. I would look into a natural gas spa. Quick heat up and usually 120 volts. Costs more as an option if bought new, but IMO, a better type of heater. Not sure on the operating cost of gas vs electricity.

FOXMAN
06-09-2008, 05:03 PM
I would go used for the first one if i had to it again. There are people selling just about everything CHEAP because of the economy... If your not putting in an in ground, and not going with a composite surround on the above ground, the spa surround is going to slowly going to go into the shitter. (rot). You will spend all that dough and it wont last. I didnt see where you live, but that is what happened to the one that i had and ran it year round outside on the deck in Wisconsin.
Go used to start out.
Then when your sure you are up to the cost and hassel of upkeep.
Spend the coin to get what you really want.
Had one.. Will have one again... Just my .02

TCHB
06-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Get a simple spa with no lounger in the spa.
1. Most of the spas now have insulation and simulated wood on the side. Do not pay to much attention to the sales pitch of the jets and other BS . They all have enough.
1. I would go to Costco and buy one of the spas for around $3,000 with a thick insulated cover in a blue type color which makes the water look nice.
We had one for 20 years and it worked great. We kept it at 105 degrees constant. I would drain the pool about every two months which was no big deal.

John.
06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
just as with most everything else...you get what you pay for. but used and you run risks that are covered by a warranty on a new spa. buy a cheap spa and you're electricity bills will probably be huge. We bought a Charisma Spa in November. Had problems with it heating up when the jets were on. would heat up so much we had to get out after 20 minutes. had the spa dealer over 7 or 8 times to try and repair and nothing. finally, Charisma refused to take it back and we were ticked. the dealer ended up taking it back and giving us full purchase value as trade. We gota Jacuzzi spa and love it. It was like going from a toyota to a mercedes. the jacuzzi also costs next to nothing to run.
long story short, I recommend the jacuzzi. get a new one and negotiate the purchase price. don't forget to calculate in delivery, a cover and cover lifter.

Screaming Pete
06-10-2008, 09:41 AM
there is a spa in the spam section.........:D

TCHB
06-10-2008, 06:43 PM
I have looked into the power usage of a lot of spas and they are real close to each other. The more powerfull spa the more you are going to pay for electricity. All the electric heaters work the same (dead short).
The main thing that wastes energy is the how much leakage you get through the insulated cover (hot water wasted). I have not seen a spa without insulation in the shell area so they should all be pretty close.
Most spas all have two speed motors to heat and one to power the jets.
My advice
Costco.

Mandelon
06-10-2008, 07:37 PM
We have a HotSprings portable spa. I built a deck around it so it looks built in. It runs on 120V and costs maybe $25-$30 a month. Its always hot. Being only 120 it takes several hours to heat up when I change the water.
It cost $6000. But that for the first buyers. I got it for $800. :D I had to replace the recirc pump after 7 years. It cost $138 and took about 15 minutes to put in. I use it a couple times a week.
Smaller is lighter, keep that in mind when you gotta have six friends come over and move it!

cc322
06-11-2008, 04:28 AM
My neighbor bought one from Costco has had nothing but problems, and parts have to be ordered from Texas, buy from a local mfg. Here are my three of choice in no particalur order
1. Jacuzzi
2. Hot springs
3. Sundance
All are ISO 9000 and have dealers close to you, again you get what you pay for.

skisupreme
06-11-2008, 05:44 AM
I bought the Jacuzzi 380 about 3 years ago and it has been good for us. Like mentioned above you need the dedicated electrical and all the other BS for it but you need that for just about any of them. Buying the spa is like buying a used car, make sure you deal.

deltarat
06-11-2008, 06:41 AM
I have a Jacuzzi Spa that we are thinking about selling so I can build my outdoor kitchen in its location. It is three years old and if anyone is interested I will sell it for 50 cents on the dollar. It is located in Norther California. I have some more pics but I need to find them when I get home.

Warlockjer
06-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Jacuzzi and NO complaints. Good warranty also. Have had it for about 4 years. Brought it to Havasu from Nor Cal when I retired and use it a couple of times a week during the summer and almost every night during the cooler months. I for one would not buy a lower end spa. I did that once and only once. Good luck in what ever you decide to get!:)

HMF'er
06-11-2008, 06:51 PM
My CalSpa is about 8 years old, no problems with the spa, it still works great.
I did have major problems with getting the spa and accessories delivered correctly and remember being so frustrated with the company's customer service. At that time (I haven't dealt with them in 8 years) it was impossible to speak to a live person when calling CalSpas, it was nothing but an automated directory that led to voice mails, and no one would return calls. I will NEVER buy a CalSpa product again.