PDA

View Full Version : Help

fire_mike
06-18-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm looking at buying a 2001 Galaxie LX 21', but I am unable to find any information about this boat. It is in great condition, and has a carburated 5.7 (which the guy believes is 280HP) with a Volvo outdrive. The asking price is $19,900 (plus tax, etc.). I already know I won't pay that much for it - they will have to cut me some kind of deal for me to buy it. Is this a good boat?
Thanks!!

Mandelon
06-18-2008, 05:08 PM
pics?

fire_mike
06-18-2008, 05:22 PM
pics?
http://www.azdiscountmarine.com/Used_Boats/Galixie_side_large.jpg
The interior is real dusty. . .
http://www.azdiscountmarine.com/Used_Boats/Galixie_inside_large.jpg

Nubbs
06-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Get the HIN (hull identification number) off the transom. That will tell you some more info about it. I'm no expert, but that boat looks a little too custom for a galaxy...:confused:

fire_mike
06-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Get the HIN (hull identification number) off the transom. That will tell you some more info about it. I'm no expert, but that boat looks a little too custom for a galaxy...:confused:
It's a Galaxie (with an 'ie'). From what I have found, it was a company called Galaxie Boats - ca, and they only made custom boats.
When I get the HIN, what do I do with it to find out more info?

twocents
06-19-2008, 07:51 AM
A little Galaxie background. The company was originally headquartered in Orange County (once off the 405 freeway and later off the 5 freeway). Then moved into the Inland Empire for a while before they closed. Worth Potts (the dad) started the company and was kind of a west coast boat builder icon. Later his son Brett took over and ran the company. At one time, they were one of the higher volume semi-custom boat builders in Southern California. They had a pretty extensive line of models, priced in the lower to medium range compared to other similar builders. The 2100 LX you're looking at was one of their better models. Just take a good look at the condition of the floor (wood rot?), the stringers and the transom. The Volvo package is okay (probably has an OMC Cobra SX drive) but I'd guess it's a 250 or 260 HP. Top speed should be low 60s. I wouldn't go 19K -- 15K sounds better. And don't forget to check out the trailer! I think Brett Potts is still in the the industry -- last I heard he's working for Karl Koster's Kal Kustom distribution operation.

fire_mike
06-19-2008, 08:18 AM
A little Galaxie background. The company was originally headquartered in Orange County (once off the 405 freeway and later off the 5 freeway). Then moved into the Inland Empire for a while before they closed. Worth Potts (the dad) started the company and was kind of a west coast boat builder icon. Later his son Brett took over and ran the company. At one time, they were one of the higher volume semi-custom boat builders in Southern California. They had a pretty extensive line of models, priced in the lower to medium range compared to other similar builders. The 2100 LX you're looking at was one of their better models. Just take a good look at the condition of the floor (wood rot?), the stringers and the transom. The Volvo package is okay (probably has an OMC Cobra SX drive) but I'd guess it's a 250 or 260 HP. Top speed should be low 60s. I wouldn't go 19K -- 15K sounds better. And don't forget to check out the trailer! I think Brett Potts is still in the the industry -- last I heard he's working for Karl Koster's Kal Kustom distribution operation.
Thanks for the info! How do I go about inspecting the floor, transom, and stringers? What is it I need to look for, and how do I look under the carpet? As far as price, I was going to shoot for 17K out the door (tax, title, etc.).

Mandelon
06-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Gently probe the floor with an awl and see if there are soft spots. don't go all icepick crazy but check the corners at the rear and the areas of the floor under the engine hatch.
I think with that new of a boat there shouldn't be issues yet. Keep in mind resale will be less with a lesser known boat like that. A quality name brand will hold its value better.
Those little windshields will be a problem as they age and someone grabs onto them...or they hit with a football or something. The custom bent plastic is a pain to find and usually isn't cheap.
But if you like it, have at it. It looks pretty nice. The tower alone is like $2000 isnt' it?

twocents
06-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Carpeted floors are tough to inspect, but walk around the interior and the floor should feel solid, not springy. If there are in-floor lockers, open them up and reach up on the underside of the floor -- they should be dry to the touch and still have a wood smell. If it smells stale, might be a sign that stagnant water had been present. The stringers shouldn't have any visible cracks or separations. And always look for signs of repair like a fiberglass patch. On the transom, cracks are also a sign of potential trouble where water might have invaded the wood. If you take it for a water test before buying, make sure there are no leaks around the stern drive gimbal and housing. When buying a used boat from a private party, it never hurts to invest a couple of hundred extra bucks and take the boat to a good marine service/repair facility for a once-over. They can check out the steering, controls, general electrical and fuel systems pretty fast. Don't know where you're located but if you're in the SoCal area, Rob Clarke at Quality Performance Marine in Corona would be an excellent second opinion.

Mandelon
06-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Thats' a good two cents, twocents! Good advice. A motor issue could set you back a whole lot of $$$ and the whole season.....:idea:

fire_mike
06-19-2008, 09:38 AM
It is at a dealer, so I'd assume it is in good mechanical condition. When I go back there to look at it (assuming they will give me the price I want), I will inspect the crap out of everything. I know it's not a better known brand, and that may decrease the resale value, but it is a quality boat (from what I have read) and does not carry the usual 'name brand' price tag.

Edmond
06-19-2008, 09:44 AM
My buddy had a 98 or 99 Galaxie LX21 it was a very good boat, ran in the high 50's mph. I think he sold it last yr for about 15k.