PDA

View Full Version : 496HO hot CMI's and water in Bilge...

slingingsmoke
08-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Ok folks, new ride is an Eliminator 260 Eagle XP. 496HO w/ CMI's and Intake and reprogrammed ECU all done at Teague. I finally got a chance to go full throttle and the darn thing would'nt go over 68mph, and the rpm's wouldnt go past 4800. Bob tested it at 76+ mph at 5150 rpm. I got it off of the lake and pulled the plug, She had about 20 gallons of water in the bilge. I checked out the headers and they were extremely hot to the touch. Long story short, I dropped it off at Teague about a week ago and Dorian is doing a bang up job so far. The sea water impeller was in new condition, however the housing was thrashed, so that got rebuilt. he also found a small hose clamp that was loose and replaced that. Bob took it out on the lake the next day and got 71mph but also got 6 in of water in the bilge? any ideas.
thanks, Jon.

boatnam2
08-03-2008, 11:17 PM
lucky you didnt burn it up...might still have.

Beer-30
08-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Well, the only thing that changed, with regards to the water system, is the headers. So, it has to be something in that system. Or, it could have just sprung a leak where the hose connects to the transom assembly for the water intake. That is tucked back in there pretty deep, so a leak would be hard to see - especially on the lake.
Wow, another big boat in Bakersfield. What will this town do? :confused: :D

ecm
08-04-2008, 05:41 PM
You may want to check your oil cooler and heat exchanger to make sure they are not clogged. If they are you will pass water through the air actuated drain system into the bilge. I have seen this a couple of times.
Kirk

slingingsmoke
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
You may want to check your oil cooler and heat exchanger to make sure they are not clogged. If they are you will pass water through the air actuated drain system into the bilge. I have seen this a couple of times.
Kirk
They backflowed the system and they are clean.

slingingsmoke
08-04-2008, 09:38 PM
It also has to be something that is caused by higher speed/throttle, perhaps something that overpressurizes and leaks because It did'nt fill up the bilge by cruising down the lake.

HALLETT BOY
08-05-2008, 01:32 PM
If Bob drove the boat , why not ask him ? I'm sure he has a better idea then anyone on these boards...

slingingsmoke
08-19-2008, 10:07 AM
The HO has the winterizing kit on it...well the port side relief valve was bad and opened under a lower pressure than it should've. Resulting in a blow out of lake water into the bilge. Problem solved.