PDA

View Full Version : Tires

hotlavey
08-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I have to replace the tires on my triple axle Extreme trailer. The tire guy(a good friend) tells me I should use trailer tires instead of the automotive tires currently on. Anyone go from automotive to trailer tires and if you did was there a difference in ride or handling? My current tires are 6 years old and still look good but I had a blow out on Rice Rd last week so I assume old age is affecting them. They have lasted( I have replaced two of the original ones) a fairly long time so, opinions and experiences please.
Thanks.

rshrp2003
08-17-2008, 07:40 AM
I thought that you couldn't use auto tires for you trailer because they were not rated for the load , most car tires that are the size of your trailer tires are normally for small cars that weigh alot less.

FOXMAN
08-17-2008, 08:00 AM
You can find a car or more likely a light truck tire that can handle the weight. The question is how far do you trailer? If not far you might want to make that gamble. If you tow any distance you have to ask yourself if its worth the risk of a blowout, or a multiple tire failure, losing control and throwing the boat and the tow vehicle in the pickers.
I have BFG tires made for a trailer. When they need replacement i will go with the same. Some things just arent worth taking a chance on.

hotlavey
08-17-2008, 08:01 AM
I thought that you couldn't use auto tires for you trailer because they were not rated for the load , most car tires that are the size of your trailer tires are normally for small cars that weigh alot less.
The tires that are on now are the original ones from Extreme(two have been replaced). They are all of the automotive designation(P245-60R 15). There are six of them so I don't think the load factor is a problem but am not sure about that. I am going to put trailer tires on as replacements just to be safe.

rshrp2003
08-17-2008, 10:57 AM
The tires that are on now are the original ones from Extreme(two have been replaced). They are all of the automotive designation(P245-60R 15). There are six of them so I don't think the load factor is a problem but am not sure about that. I am going to put trailer tires on as replacements just to be safe.
I asked this question when i went to les swabb and thats what they told me.
I would agree to go with the trailers

slingingsmoke
08-18-2008, 07:47 PM
stick with a Radial tire. Perferably something with a higher sidewall load rating. "E" or better.
Don't get bias-plys.

hotlavey
08-18-2008, 08:19 PM
stick with a Radial tire. Perferably something with a higher sidewall load rating. "E" or better.
Don't get bias-plys.
I'm getting Maxxis tires. They are radial trailer tires and were recommended by my tire source and some other boating folks. Not sure what the sidewall rating is.

BigDogIvan
08-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Don't get bias-plys.
Just wondering why not Bias Ply? :idea:

hotlavey
08-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Just wondering why not Bias Ply? :idea:
Bias tires are far stiffer in the sidewall and give a very hard ride which leads to bouncing and an uncomfortable tow.

Mandelon
08-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Trailer tires are made for trailers, car tires for cars.....they have strong flexible sidewalls to take the bouncing that trailers get.
I had a set of Duro's that were problem free. There are Carlisle's on it now, but I am keeping an eye on them for sure!

hotlavey
08-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Trailer tires are made for trailers, car tires for cars.....they have strong flexible sidewalls to take the bouncing that trailers get.
I had a set of Duro's that were problem free. There are Carlisle's on it now, but I am keeping an eye on them for sure!
You can get bias ply as well as radial ply trailer tires. Good luck with the Carlisles.

slingingsmoke
09-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Bias tires are far stiffer in the sidewall and give a very hard ride which leads to bouncing and an uncomfortable tow.
They also tend to "Cup" which increases tire noise and decreases tire life. There are excellently engineered radial trailer tires that will be much better.