PDA

View Full Version : WTB-Lifeline vest

phebus
03-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Need to get a Lifeline vest, anyone have a good used one for sale?

tomcat
03-09-2006, 06:01 PM
I have a brand new Poker Run Lifeline, never used.

phebus
03-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Size, color, and price? You can PM me if you want.
Thanks

Jordy
03-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I just got 2 of my new poker run vests dropped of on Monday. Ordered them on Friday and it was a "We should have them out before the poker run in April" kind of deal. Nice job to the folks at Lifeline. I got the bright red poker run vests with the stand up collars. Makes me look smaller. :D :D :D

Charley
03-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Makes me look smaller. :D :D :D
But smarter! :D

Jordy
03-09-2006, 06:52 PM
But smarter! :D
Every little bit helps. ;)

phebus
03-09-2006, 07:00 PM
I went on Lifeline's website, and they list the standard jacket, and the Offshore jacket. what's the Poker Run jacket?

Jordy
03-09-2006, 07:08 PM
http://www.lifelinejackets.com/catalog_jacketspants_perfjackets.html
Everything you'll need for what you're doing. :D

phebus
03-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks Jordy. Price isn't too bad, but if I could find a used one, that would be better. If not, it's nice to know how quick they get them out.

Phat Matt
03-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Why do they start at $315? What is the difference between that and a nice ski jacket?
Just wondering.

Jordy
03-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I don't know, other than some place like a boat racing website, where you'd find a used one. Personally, the $300 or so a pop hurts, but what is your life worth to you? What's it worth to your family? I personally wear a $400 helmet when I'm on my dirtbike or quad. Can I get a $50 helmet that is supposed to do the same thing? Probably. Would I be comfortable with it? Probably not. And I only have my dogs depending on me. ;)

Jordy
03-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Why do they start at $315? What is the difference between that and a nice ski jacket?
If you hit the water at 60+ a nice ski jacket will leave you behind. If you leave the water at 60+ and the nice ski jacket doesn't come off by some stretch, the nice ski jacket won't float you face up if you end up unconcious until someone comes to fish you out of the water. These are 100x the jacket than the best ski jacket I've ever seen, complete with leg straps so they don't come off. Well worth the money PM. ;)

phebus
03-09-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't know, other than some place like a boat racing website, where you'd find a used one.
Ummmm, here maybe? :)

Phat Matt
03-09-2006, 07:35 PM
If you hit the water at 60+ a nice ski jacket will leave you behind. If you leave the water at 60+ and the nice ski jacket doesn't come off by some stretch, the nice ski jacket won't float you face up if you end up unconcious until someone comes to fish you out of the water. These are 100x the jacket than the best ski jacket I've ever seen, complete with leg straps so they don't come off. Well worth the money PM. ;)
So why don't people on Jet Skis wear them? Don't state the obvious and say only idiots are on jet skis either. I have a neoprene vest with zippers and straps and I think it would have to damn near rip off my head or arms to leave me behind. I under stand the floating face up part.
So what your are saying is the lifeline crush your nuts to stay on? :rollside:

Jordy
03-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Ummmm, here maybe? :)
My point was, I don't know as many ***boaters with Lifelines as there should be, and I'm as guilty as the rest of them. Realistically, and I don't remember the numbers, but somewhere around 60 if even that fast, if you're wearing one, the regular ski vest is worthless. ;)

phebus
03-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Why is an E-ticket better than a Bayliner? :)

Jordy
03-09-2006, 07:38 PM
So what your are saying is the lifeline crush your nuts to stay on? :rollside:
Crushed nuts unconcious floating face up? No crushed nuts hanging out at the bottom of the lake until you decompose enough to build enough gas to float your corpse to the surface??? :D :D :D

Phat Matt
03-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Crushed nuts unconcious floating face up? No crushed nuts hanging out at the bottom of the lake until you decompose enough to build enough gas to float your corpse to the surface??? :D :D :D
You gotta admit it's a tough choice between being alive with crushed nuts or being dead with crushed nuts. One is still going to hurt like a MOFO. :crossx:
:D

tomcat
03-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Size, color, and price? You can PM me if you want.
Thanks
Here is a photo. Lifeline said to size the vest one size smaller than what you would normally wear, so I got a Med. It fits good.

phebus
03-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Tomcat, please PM me with a price.
Thanks

Jordy
03-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Sizing is key on them. I met with Bill from Lifeline at the World Finals at Firebird in November last year. He said I'd wear a large and I had a hard time believing that. Last time I bought a suit or rented a tux I was in a 52. Took his word and went with a large and it was almost big until I cinched in the side straps. I would have naturally ordered at least an XL.

Riverkid
03-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Mine only goes on a couple times a year now and I swear that thing shrinks in the bag... :)
I got pitched out at about 90 observing once. It hurt for a while. No scrunchies, but the straps marked me up pretty good. A flying orange vest makes a nice pass through the corner in a ski race...
I've also been in a couple real scary situations without a Lifeline on. Stupid. You own it, wear it!
Jordy's on the right track. If you've got a $10 head, go ahead and purchase accordingly. Otherwise, step up and be safe. Your family and friends will love you for it...

Charley
03-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Is there a model with some extra padding that helps comfort spectre porpoising? :cry: :cry:

tomcat
03-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Phebus,
Jordy's right. They run small. I am in Fullerton if you want to try it on.

Jordy
03-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Is there a model with some extra padding that helps comfort spectre porpoising? :cry: :cry:
Nah, I think they pulled out the extra padding to support the training wheel center pod glass in the DCLB's. ;) :D

Quality Time
03-10-2006, 07:47 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Lifelines are not CG Approved. Technically you will need CG approved jackets in addition to the lifelines. Not knocking Lifelines at all.

superdave013
03-10-2006, 07:55 AM
The real ones don't have those nut crusher leg deals. They have some nice big leg staps that no way will crush your nads.
BTW, we used to have a class C hydro that ran in the mid 80's. I got kicked out of it wearing an O'Brian ski jacket. Every plastic buckle on the straps broke except the very top one. One of the shoulders had a big tear in it too. Oh, it's hard to swim with the wind knocked out of ya. I would think it's even harder with a rib poking through your lung. Vest up while you can.

H20 Toie
03-10-2006, 08:01 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Lifelines are not CG Approved. Technically you will need CG approved jackets in addition to the lifelines. Not knocking Lifelines at all.
You are correct the lifelines are not approved becuase it takes to long to put them on since they have zippers and straps. the coast guard assumes that the vests will be stored and only used when needed. The lifeline vest have a zipper with a strap under both legs and a strap across the chest and a d ring on the bottom below the zipper.
They are kind of like a helmet they work better if worn. I ended up buying 6 of them since i could not decide which passengers life was not as important.
I don't wear mine at the river but always on the ocean as does everyone in the boat.

Quality Time
03-10-2006, 08:29 AM
I don't wear mine at the river but always on the ocean as does everyone in the boat.
Yes you do, ran next to you for a while on the way back from the Isthmus. You came off plane and I was just about ready to turn back and then I saw you up and running again.

phebus
03-10-2006, 06:44 PM
You gotta admit it's a tough choice between being alive with crushed nuts or being dead with crushed nuts. One is still going to hurt like a MOFO. :crossx:
:D
My wife's been busting my nuts ever since we got married, so I'm not afraid of a little vest. :)

H20 Toie
03-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Yes you do, ran next to you for a while on the way back from the Isthmus. You came off plane and I was just about ready to turn back and then I saw you up and running again.
This must be you then.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2573P2252025_700x524.jpg

Quality Time
03-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Yep! It was nice meeting you on the island and running with you on the way back.

SnakeWrench
03-10-2006, 10:03 PM
I will say this and anyone who has ever raced anything will agree. How much is your life worth? Better yet, how much does your family mean to you? These are questions you need to consider. Personally, My life is worth alot and my family means everything to me. So why would I go half assed with something to save my life? My last lifeline vest cost well over $700.00, but when the next and better one comes out, I'll pay for it too, no matter how much it costs.

H20 Toie
03-11-2006, 09:01 AM
I will say this and anyone who has ever raced anything will agree. How much is your life worth? Better yet, how much does your family mean to you? These are questions you need to consider. Personally, My life is worth alot and my family means everything to me. So why would I go half assed with something to save my life? My last lifeline vest cost well over $700.00, but when the next and better one comes out, I'll pay for it too, no matter how much it costs.
Kind of how i felt. yes spending $300 on a vest for my daughter and my friends daughters is hard do but since you never know when an accident will happen. Just imagine something happening like the boat in LOTO last year they were wearing cheap vest and at 60mph the vests didn't stay on them. if they had lifelines they might be telling us the story about the flip.
Same goes for the Tres Martin boating class, it's a lot of money but the info is priceless.

phebus
03-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks Tomcat :)
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11884