PDA

View Full Version : Advice please.

Big Boys Toy PE857
04-06-2003, 03:34 PM
OK you sport boat types, I need some advice about a boat I'm looking at. I have 2 blown drag hydros but am looking for something sporty to replace the old Wellcraft cuddy cabin for family cruising.
I am looking at a 1989 Laser 24' sport cuddy type boat. It has been completly redone inside and out. Beautiful professionally done paint job and upholstery. All new stringers and flooring system, Reworked lifting strakes and pad. 454 BBC with a small supercharger, 5# boost, Bravo 1 with nose cone and shower, 12" Imco set back, Latham power steering, raised x dimension, Imco exhaust with chrome pipes/tips. Nice trailer with new tires and wheels, and matching paint.
So heres the questions, anyone familiar with this type of boat and its ride chacteristics. Re sale value since it was customized. I already know that the sale price is about 5000.00 more than the book value but the work done and the equipment added make seem to justify the price of $17000.00.
Thanks!
PS My wifey wants me to buy a 94 24' Baja 454 BBC, bravo 1, cuddy cabin with a toilet that she is looking at. $15900.00. Nice shape also.
What do you regulars think???

Powerquestboy
04-07-2003, 10:51 AM
I have never ridden in a laser and don’t have any knowledge of them other than seeing a few at the lake a time or two. However if it were me I wouldn’t spend that much money on a boat that old. It sounds like it has allot of real good performance parts on it but I would rather start with something a little newer since the technology has come so far in the past few years. There are so many good used boats out there with proven names, Baja, Donzi etc. I would look at the Baja your wife likes, for less money you get a well known name and a boat that’s 5 years newer. Also if you wanted to sell the laser in a few years its going to be really old and so will the performance parts on it. I think those older boats while still real good boats drop exponentially in value after a certain period. Probably because styles change they look so old after 15+ years. Just my opinion, but I think for that much money you can get into something allot newer, nicer and more reliable.

Big Boys Toy PE857
04-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Thanks for your viewpoint, gives me some food for thought. I am trying to make a well informed decision instead of jumping the gun, which I usually do, on something I will regret later.

hydro066
04-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Divorces are pricey....go for the pink Baja.

Big Boys Toy PE857
04-08-2003, 12:45 AM
Dear John,
Thanks for your .02. When you're in town this summer wouldn't you rather be ridin' 80 than 50???
Don't encourage her. LOL.

TX flat
04-11-2003, 08:09 PM
BBT, as my friends told me when i was looking for a big boat "friend's dont let friend's buy baja's" no offence to their owners. but see to many. Here in TX baja's are a dime a dozen and the prices fall off quick. Try looking for a nice formula ,donzi and the powerquest's are nice boats too. From a fellow biesemeyer owner to a past biesemeyer owner, just my 2 cents
http://www.geocities.com/harvick_29@sbcglobal.net

gnarley
05-05-2003, 10:40 AM
I don't post in here to much, but for my .02 the newer the better. A lot of those 80's hulls are real heavy & take a lot of power to do what we take for granted in the 90's. Then come the 00's and even better boats & if you have that 89 boat you have one with 3 decades old technology! Seems like someone did a lot to make the 89 as good as it could get. It's proably a nice boat but you still can't make a silk purse from a sows ear.

26 QUEST
06-06-2003, 08:37 AM
I WOULD LOOK AT THE BAJA FOR RESALE VALUE ALONE. IS THIS A 24 OUTLAW STYLE BOAT OR A LOWER PROFILE? IF IT IS A OUTLAW THAT IS THE BEST SELLING BOAT BAJA HAS ,NOW A 25 OUTLAW, IT IS A GREAT RUNNING BOAT.

26 QUEST
06-06-2003, 08:41 AM
TX FLAT HAS A GOOD POINT YOU SHOULD STAY WITH A BETTER NAME BRAND BOAT.THERE ARE A LOT OF CORVETTES ON THE ROAD FOR A REASON PEOPLE STILL LIKE THEM EVEN IF THAY ARE ALL OVER.

RollWithIt
06-07-2003, 06:33 AM
Not to sound biased since I own a Baja. 1988 240 Sport. But you might want to seriously consider that boat. I did not want to really consider Bajas before I got mine because Pittsburgh is poluted with them, local dealer contributed problem. But I have been extremely happy with the quality, ride and performance of my boat. I dont have much experience with the Laser line of boats but I do know that having a true deep V boat makes for a nice ride in the rough stuff. Good luck with what ever decision you make and happy boating. :D devil