PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes

Essex29
03-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Are trailer brakes the same as auto brakes???? I want to check mine out before I tow it again, what do I look for?
Thanks

HMF'er
03-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Your trailer probably doesn't have brakes on every axle like your car, but you can check for pad thickness, disc wear, and fluid level. The brake system itself should be the same minus ABS.

Essex29
03-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Your trailer probably doesn't have brakes on every axle like your car, but you can check for pad thickness, disc wear, and fluid level. The brake system itself should be the same minus ABS.
Are trailer parts available at a napa or similar shop?
thanks

HMF'er
03-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Depends on what parts. Towing type parts, maybe. If you need brake parts, I would start by contacting the trailer mfg and find out what type of brakes they used and go from there. I'm sure trailer mfgs don't make their own brakes, they buy them from elsewhere and chances are those same brakes exist on some type of vehicle on the road, just need to find out which one. Good luck.

GunninGopher
03-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Most of the stuff is pretty generic, from what little I know. I just redid a boat trailer. The trailer I have has brakes on the rear axle. I purchased the whole drum brake assembly. Discs aren't much more, but you need to have the right actuator to run them. I chose to stay with drums since I'm only hauling around a 19' day cruiser, even though I was planning on replacing the actuator.
You can buy on-line from West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=126120) or some trailer site.
As far as what to look for? Pull the drum and look them over. It has been my experience that most surge brakes have a little lag associated with their braking. If that is the case you can feel them working.

BadKachina
03-10-2006, 06:06 PM
If you have discs most of those pads cross over with GM cars. Try this site and it will give you some part numbers to cross reference.
brake pads (http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/redswish/calipers-250.htm)

Beer-30
03-10-2006, 06:26 PM
I had to go to a bearing warehouse here in town to find the axle seals for a friends trailer under their Malibu. It is best to pull ONE apart, knock out the seal (saving as much as you can to find the part number) and go to the part store with the pads and seal in hand. Then you can be sure you have the right parts.
The lug nuts will most likely have rust and corrosion on the threads along with the studs. Clean them well and I put synthetic grease on the threads when I go back together. Keeps water out. A good marine (usually green) grease is just fine also.
Only pulling one apart keeps the rest together to refer to upon assembly. Even though they are simple setups, you could get confused after all the parts chasing.
Here's what mine look like. Usually two axles on a triple trailer will have brakes. I would assume the axle seals will be the same on the non-brake axle, but I have not tackled that yet.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2433P6030004.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2433P6030003.JPG

Partycattin
03-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I bought brake shoes through NAPA once. Had to take the old ones in with me. They matched em up.
The Anchor on Reseda in Canoga Park area has a good selection in stock.

UHHH SUCKA
03-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Are trailer brakes the same as auto brakes???? I want to check mine out before I tow it again, what do I look for?
Thanks
Check the pads, check the back of the hub to make sure there is no grease coming out of the back seal. if you have to replace the pads its a good idea just to go ahaead and do the seals while you got it apart. another way to see if the system is working is to unplug the wire harness to the tow vehicle and try to back it up and incline. If it will not back up than they are working and you should be O.K. If they do not lock up most likely you will need to rebleed the system. Check your brake fluid resevoir often. You do not want it to get too low and take a chance of getting air in to the system. Extreme Trailers in Riverside has all the parts in stock for that brake system.