PDA

View Full Version : Legend Jet Drive

lakesmodified
05-07-2002, 05:21 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about Legend Jet Drive systems? Are they any good for high horse power and top speed? I'm looking at possibly buying another hull/trailer thats is missing the engine(set up for BBF)and it supposedly has a "new" Legend pump in it... Just wondering if it's worth the hassle? Thanks, Ivan

Aluminum Squirt
05-07-2002, 11:10 AM
I have a Legend on my 15' Jetcraft Sprint and I like it. It is more difficult to find parts for than a Berk butt hen again I have not needed any parts yet. I think, and I'm just guessing here, that Legend started out with a couple of guys that left Berkley. The pumps look quite similar and I think some parts may be the same. The web site (www.legendjet.com)is connected to the Berk site and they claim to have "all of the good features of a berk and then some" or something along those lines. Most of the high perf jet guys will work on them. Mine sees 65 MPH and has a place diverter. My boat is one of those aluminum white water boats so I'm frequently putting things in my jet besides water and it seems to keep chugging along. One of these days I'm going to have a loader put on and the bowl flowed and that's when they'll probably start asking what the hell I've been running through my pump. Please don't take these words as expert advice, I've only been into jet boating for about a year but my Legend seems to work well with a light boat and relatively stock horsepower-Aluminum Squirt

gstark
05-07-2002, 11:29 AM
I have a setback Legend J120-G with a rideplate in my Caliber 1 230, spun by a 502. The basic design is similar to Berkeley, in fact, I understand the company was started by ex-Berk employees.
When I had the boat built last year, I called Jack at MPD who had done prior pump work for me and asked his opinion. He recommended the Legend. I could have selected any pump, but I went with Jack's recommendation and have been happy. The impeller finish out of the box was very clean.
As far as horsepower is concerned, I have the alum impeller and standard shaft. If you are looking at high HP applications, go to a stainless (17-4PH) impeller and an aquamet shaft. Follow the factory recommendations, Berks (CP) and Legends are quite similar.
See the thread under impellers for more info.

jet4fun
05-08-2002, 05:06 PM
well i dont know if this will help, but last year when i was going to buy a brand new jet boat, the boat builder had just started using legend instead of dominator pumps. i asked him why, and he said the legend was a better built pump, and it was more stable at high speeds. then he said that the legend had a little less top end speed than the dominator. i didnt really understand that??? there was maybe a different reason than that, but thats what he said. then again why would he make up a story like that, and then say the legend is slower? so i dont really know.
oh, also if i remember right he said all legends come setback standard, with the setback plate, and he said they also liked that better because they could increase the interior space like 6 more inches.

lakesmodified
05-09-2002, 06:36 AM
OK guys, thanks for the input... I'm looking at this pickle hydro and it had a new Legend pump installed. I wasn't sure if that was one of those "off-brands" like the Panther which is difficult for parts, etc. I now see this is the one that is basically a copy of the Berkeley.. Now if someone can just tell me if they ever heard or seen anything about Jolly Rogers Hydro??? Thanks, Ivan