PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on engine problem

BOBALOO
05-27-2002, 07:49 PM
Just finished reading about the new girl with the Hallet. I also am new to the boards and have an 89 Hallet 19ft.sport skier. Here is my problem. 454 w/broken distributor gear. I tore apart the engine today and found the oil pump has two broken teeth also. I figure that is why the dist. gear broke. Cam looks ok and spins free,should I replace the pump and gear and reuse the cam or not? Any opinions will help make up my mind.

dreamsicle
05-27-2002, 08:02 PM
If the teeth on the cam aren't hurt then I would reuse it. How far apart did you pull the engine? I would take a good look at the cam lobes also if you can. If they look slightly pitted you should change it anyway even if the teeth aren't damaged.

MikeF
05-27-2002, 08:05 PM
B, If the gear surfaces look OK (no grind marks, only smooth surface where the gears mesh) then the cam will probley be OK. You have the engine out so remove the cam and get a closer look. You will want to look for those missing teeth from the oil pump though! Take the main caps off and check the bearings...the rods too. You might have to go further than that though. Mike

BOBALOO
05-28-2002, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. I completely disassembled the engine and the mains and rod bearings are fine. I also forgot to include that the screen part of the pickup,not the tube,broke and was just hanging on the pickup tube.I think the gears broke because when the engine was running the screen would suck up against the pickup and starve the engine for oil.The last 2 trips out I have had low oil pressure. Thanks again.