PDA

View Full Version : Why is my bilge plug in my pump

teambnr
05-21-2002, 08:08 PM
My bilge plug is a threaded nut at the lower end of my pump. It's siliconed in and all the water that the bilge pump doesn't remove stays in the bilge. At the end of the weekend I have to either remove the plug and then reseal it or shop vac it out. Can I just replace it with it a rubber screw in type or should I redrill I new hole at the transom and then put a plug there? The bilge looks like crap because of all the extra water that sits in it too long. What do you think?

Costello
05-21-2002, 08:11 PM
My folks Dominator pump is set up like that. They run a rubber screw in type plug and it works fine. It's used just like a bilge drain plug on the hull.

teambnr
05-21-2002, 08:36 PM
Cosello, I havn't tried to see if the hole size fits the standard screw in rubber plug size but I'm sure it does. Also I never get water outside the stringers (engine cover) so the original hole should drain all the water in the bilge. I'll try it out this weekend. Also a Dominator. Thanks for the input.

Duane HTP
05-22-2002, 06:16 PM
If the drain plug is a little different size than usual, go to your local hardware store and buy a thermos jug plug. They have them in all sizes and they work just fine.

LVjetboy
05-23-2002, 12:43 AM
Another thing is a duckbill drain. Rex has them I think. I have a mod tunnel and put duckbills on the outer sponsons (no room for pumps) They are self-draining and as long as you keep the silicone seal good, no worries.
jer