PDA

View Full Version : Balance that thing! It's worth the $150

beached1
06-09-2002, 06:48 AM
I used to be running a fairly stock 454, large oval heads with a mild cam, Demon 750 dp, jacobs ign. It wasn't a bad set up. This winter, I decided to see what I could do bump this pig up to some decent HP though. I replaced the crank with a destroked 427 steel. TRW pop ups and better rods with arp bolts. Spoke with Dave at Crower and he sent me a kit complete with a cam, springs, lifters, and rokers. Then, a buddy sugested that since the motor was apart, it wouldn't hurt to send the crank, pistons, rods, harmonic balancer and flex plate to have balanced together as a unit. This mod only cost me $150 bucks! This was my first engine build, so I was a little skeptical of how everything would turn out. Let me just say, God Damn! I broke the cam in yesterday. It idles at about 1150 and you can hear every hole hit. Pop, pop, pop, pop! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif but the engine doesn't even move. At 3500, a deaf guy would never know if it's running or not. At 6k, nothing. I was really impressed. I expected some movement wile running. Or even a little rock when you zap the throttle, but nit with this one. Not only did it sound tight as hell but when I'd blip the throttle, it would hit 6k instantly. Zaaat!
Awesome. We'll see next weekend how she pushes H2O thorugh the pump. This boat was a tank last year, so I'm hopping this will be a big improvement. All of my changes will help I'm sure, but I just can't get over how much better it runs. The old 454 didn't run as smooth or accelerate as quick.
So, if I could give anyone advice. Balance that sh!t! It's cheap compared to the cost of every other mod that can be done. Besides, if it's all apart and getting rebuilt anyway, what's it gonna hurt?

flat broke
06-09-2002, 09:03 AM
Beached,
Glad to hear the mill sounds good. She should rev nicer with the 427 crank. The other issue I think you're noticing is that the 454 is externaly balanced. Even if you had the 454 rotating assembly ballanced, its still going to feel rougher than the 427. Its just in where the wieght is placed between the two setups. Now get that boat back in the water and get us some numbers http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Chris

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-09-2002, 12:37 PM
Hey beached, We have almost the same set up. I have a 454,750,and large oval heads. On your cam what kind of rockers did you use. How much was the cost for them or the kit. I totally agree with you about the balancing. I just had my motor balanced,blueprinted and bores .30 over.Please keep me posted on how you rig turns out. Our set ups are similar so I just want to know what I'm in for when my boat is done.

beached1
06-10-2002, 05:30 AM
Flat,
You are right. I did have to get a 396/427 harmonic balancer and flex plate. Even though the 427 is an internally balanced motor, the shop that did the balancing drilled a few holes in the balancer and plate anyway. So, I guess they aren't perfect. I noticed that the 454's with the weights on them were much more heavy than the 427's. I guess that may be another reason a 427 can get into the RPMs quicker too. I also like the fact that the rotataing mass in a 427 is much smaller than the 454. I would think this would be much more reliable since a jet is always running at 3500 to 4000 much of the day. This boat was a pig. It was an anemic 40mph boat before. To blame it all on my 454 wouldn't be fair. The stringers, transom and floor were completely rotted out, I had 1/4 inch hook on the bottom, and the hull was not shaped very well to the intake. I had to trim almost all the way down to run it at WOT without porpoising. I have fixed all of this this winter. These changes alone should be an improvement. But, then I came down with tinkeritus and decided to beef up the engine also.
The boat is a 20.6 bow rider. If this thing can run somewhere close to or in the 60's, I will be stoked. It has a Jacuzzi WJ modified by MPD with a B impeller.
I went with the alum roller rockers. Out of fear of mis matching anything, I just told Dave Crower to send me the whole damn thing from cam to rocker bolts. It came to $706.00.
Cam, lifters, springs and rockers. If you want the cam specs, let me know. I don't know it off the top of my head, but I kept the little spec card that comes with it in my tool box at home.

flat broke
06-10-2002, 06:21 AM
Beached1,
I know Ken on the other board has been doing similar work on his Omega BR. He redid the floor and stringers/stringer last season and was in the process of hook removal this winter. It's good to hear of you guys out there busting ass to make your boats better. As a reference point, my Dads 92 Caribbean 20.5 did 53mph with a stock JG, and a 330hp 454. His hull was straight and in great shape so basically, if you got your hook resolved, add HP and you should get to your goal.
Good luck and keep us posted. Are you going to be at OP6?
Chris

beached1
06-10-2002, 06:28 AM
I'll be coming out to OP6 with RivertoysJas on fri morn. Staying at La Paz. If all goes well, which it looks like it is, I'll be bringin the old Omega with me.
Which message board are speeking of about another poor soul who's working the same boat? I love to read it.
Thanks,

flat broke
06-10-2002, 06:56 AM
No_Drama (http://www.banderlog.com/cgi-bin/banderlog/dcforum/dcboard.cgi)
Chris

beached1
06-10-2002, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by flat broke:
No_Drama (http://www.banderlog.com/cgi-bin/banderlog/dcforum/dcboard.cgi)
Chris
No drama?
Thank god!

Boater Bill
06-10-2002, 08:14 AM
I had my BBC converted to internal balance. One of the best moves I ever made! But damn, that mallory metal is expensive!

flat broke
06-10-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Boater Bill:
I had my BBC converted to internal balance. One of the best moves I ever made! But damn, that mallory metal is expensive!
I hear ya bill! I got dinged $50 for some "heavy metal" above and beyond the balancing fee. I don't know what they use, but considering it was probably in the grams, they're gettting a pretty penny for it.
Chris

beached1
06-10-2002, 10:19 AM
OK, you guys can call me an idiot, but what the hell are talking about?

Boater Bill
06-10-2002, 11:34 AM
beached1 - we are talking about the metal that the balancing shops use to balance the rotating assembly. I believe it is usually added to the crank. What makes it so special or expensive I don't know but for that kinda price it better be "da kind" http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
My stroker assembly was internally balanced with the counterweight on the orig 454 flywheel ground off. I bought a new dampner and all the pieces were balanced together. The shop called it zero balance and the engine doesn't see any weight on the ends of the crank. Internal balancing will make any motor rev happy and should prolong the life of the motor (yeah right, spin em hard enough and long enough.... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif )
[This message has been edited by Boater Bill (edited June 10, 2002).]

RiverToysJas
06-10-2002, 11:46 AM
Sounds great Beached1!!!
I bought my new carb this morning, looks bitchen!
My distributor is at the shop right now getting converted to electronic. If all goes as planned I'll be out at Elsinore on Father's Day. If it runs really good, I may have to steal my Dad's truck and follow you up to Parker B1! I doubt it though. Dad's not big on loaning out his Tahoe. I'll be happy to drink freely anyway.
RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

beached1
06-10-2002, 01:43 PM
Right on Bill, thanks for the info.
RTJ, sounds good bro. I'll tow your boat out to OP6 if I can't get mine together.

flat broke
06-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Jason,
I just might be joining you out at Elsinore on Pop's day if I get my pump back in time. I need to get a couple more hours on the boat, and dial in my targeting system before OP6.
Talk to you later,
Chris