PDA

View Full Version : Information on Kysor Medallion gauges

flat broke
05-27-2002, 11:41 AM
Does anyone have any info on the analog medallion gauges? I've got a tach that seems to be off and can't find any information on the selector switch on the back to verify it's set correctly. There are positions 1,2,3,4,5 with the tach currently set at 3. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

spectras only
05-27-2002, 11:56 AM
Flatbroke, I had the medallion gage in my 20 spectra I've just sold.It was the cast aluminum casing [1976 vintage]and it was set at position 3.If your gage is inaccurate ,that's caused by the balance weights shifted or fell off the meter coil.It's a bitch to recalibrate the tach without them ,to make the reading linear.I could either set it up for max RPM or idle with the aid of a performance analyzer.You can pull the bezel off these older model medallions and you'll find 3 variable pots to calibrate.If your coil still has the weights you're OK. Drill a hole in the housing where the pots are [you actually only need to adjust one of them],so you could adjust them externally with the analyzer side by side while running the engine.Unfortunately the newer medallions are crap like farias as well! I've got S/W's in my 72 spectra, they still work good.The new S/W are crappy too ! If these will go ,I'll upgrade to Gaffrig or VDO .
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited May 27, 2002).]

wsm9808
05-27-2002, 12:43 PM
#1(4-cyl, 4 cycle inboard and I/O
#2(6-cyl, "" "" "" ""
#3(8-cyl, "" "" "" ""
#4(10 pole alt OB
#5(12-pole alt OB
Guy at the marine store said Medallion is out of business and cant be ordered, but all the rest of my gauges are Medallion and I found a (nos) Medallion tac to match mine on a shelf at a little lake side marina covered with dust. It was way off, got it calibrated, but still reads a little high compaired to my S/W tac and the tac on my engine anilizer.
[This message has been edited by wsm9808 (edited May 27, 2002).]

squirt
05-27-2002, 01:20 PM
flatbroke, I had the same Tach and it was way off. I put it on a distributor machine and calibrated it but the best I could get was an errant reading from idle to about 1800, then again at 5,000 and above it was off by about 100 rpm. After looking at tach prices I decided to buy a new complete set of Hardin marine gauges for about $180.00. At least now all my gauges match even if they aren't the "best" gauges around.

Banshee
05-27-2002, 05:37 PM
Wow! I have a Medallion spedo (along with a whole set of Medallion instruments) that reads 25 mph while the boats on the trailer and I'm stuck with three options.
1. Leave it as is
2. Buy a whole new set of instruments
3. Buy a new spedo from another manufacture that won't match.
Sucks to say the least.
There is a guy in Michigan that repairs Medallion gauges (he has a web page sorry I don't have a link to it) but when I called him about my spedo on a Friday he said that he would have to check his inventory for parts and call me back on Monday. He never called so I’m assuming he didn't have what I needed. Not very good customer service. If anyone is interested in his services let me know and I'll post or email you the phone number and/or his email address. BTW I don’t think I’m having any problems with my tach but after reading the above posts I’m going to compare it against something else.
PS If anyone has a good spedo like mine for sale I would be interested. 20-90 mph, black face-white numbers, 3 3/8 cutout. Some kind of chrome bezel around it. 1992 vintage. Thanks!
[This message has been edited by Banshee (edited May 27, 2002).]

Duane HTP
05-27-2002, 07:24 PM
For your information, Teleflex is making a line of gauges now, that resemble the Medallion gauges very closely. I can get the series name if anyone wants. Duane HTP

flat broke
05-27-2002, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! I'll try the calibration tomorrow to see if I can get it right. The tach was in position 3 so it must just be out of wack. Whats odd is that the tach floats up to about 4500 RPM at startup then comes back down, but then gets screwy again after you increase the RPMs.
I was going to upgrade the gauges anyhow, but decided to wait and see what happened with the units in there. From the sound of everyone's experiences, it looks like I'll be replacing the whole set rather than trying to mess with finding a replacement tach if I can't get it to work correctly.
Thanks again,
Chris

flat broke
05-28-2002, 11:09 AM
I pulled the tach out of the dash and hooked it up in parallel with an engine analyzer tach. Using the info from Spectras Only I was able to get the two to sync up all the way to 4k RPM (didn't feel like flogging it in more than that in the driveway). Once I get the impeller and wear ring situation resolved, I'll reconect the pump and get out to a lake to see if the now calibrated tach will work for the rest of the season. Thanks for all of the responses and dead nuts info on the adjustable pots in the tach.
Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

Banshee
05-28-2002, 05:46 PM
I would be very interested. Please post any info you have if it's not to much trouble. Thanks a bunch!